National League Final

Started by glenullinabu, April 13, 2008, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Star Spangler on April 17, 2008, 01:17:24 PM
Marc O'Sé won't let Paddy Bradley touch the ball and that'll be the end of Derry!

Hopefully!!  ;D

Paddy Bradley is the undoubted star of the Derry forward division, but remember when we played Galway he never scored at all and we still managed 13 (or was it 14) points in a game where we were dominated! So it wouldnt concern me even if you did manage, and it's a big IF, to keep him scoreless  ;) ;D

Oakleafer1993

who is actually going to take the leap into the dark tonight and order tickets for the final?......where ever it is going to held. I think the actions of the county board and headquarters have killed the final for many derry supporters.

Fuzzman

I think Paddy Bradley is a much better footballer now that he was a few years ago.
He lifts his head now and looks around him and lays a lot of ball of.

Not only does this share the scores around, it also means he's less predictable to mark and so gives himself more room

I'd say the team that wins the most ball in midfield will win this match but for once I hope its Derry.

When Are they gonna announce the venue?

tbrick18

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 18, 2008, 02:04:49 PM
I think Paddy Bradley is a much better footballer now that he was a few years ago.

Not only does this share the scores around, it also means he's less predictable to mark and so gives himself more room

I'd say the team that wins the most ball in midfield will win this match but for once I hope its Derry.

When Are they gonna announce the venue?

Date and venue due to be announced on Monday apparantly....even though you have to book your tickets today!

Maguire01

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 18, 2008, 02:45:25 PM
Date and venue due to be announced on Monday apparantly....even though you have to book your tickets today!

i.e. Date and venue will be announced when we know what's happening with Division 2!

Doire abú

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 16, 2008, 06:44:00 PM
Is it not also true that soccer is a big draw in some areas (especially the city)?
Derry has a population of 213,000 with a Catholic/Nationalist majority (say a very conservative 113,000) - compared to the likes of Monaghan, Cavan and even Fermanagh, all 3 with populations a little over the 50,000 mark, yet all these pull far bigger crowds.  It's an anomaly.

There was something on the population of Derry a while ago on Radio Ulster, which said Derry had a bigger nationalist majority than any of the other six counties. Said there was 213,000 people in the county with 160,000 Catholics. That's 75% so it is a bit surprising why attendances at county games are so low.

There's definetly some truth in the idea people don't bother with the county. I know loads of people who are football mad but don't give two shites about the county team. A lot more interest in the club scene thats for sure. Obviously if we tap/untap (what is the right word here?) the city we'd be landed. SOme great work being done on promoting Gaelic Games in the city, (its now the most played sport among under 18s), but still a long way to go before it shakes of the image of being a soccer city. Theres also an element in Derry (like most counties I imagine) that rural teams produce better players and teams that towns. The top all-time winners of the Derry Championship are Bellaghy, Ballinderry, Lavey and Newbridge all rural places. You could say Bellaghy is a town but the vast majority of their players come from the country).

Quote from: AFS on April 16, 2008, 06:32:22 PM
In fairness to Derry, it is a deceptively small county - I think only in the region of 35 clubs (could be a bit out on this though). There's also that well worn suggestion that club football is more important than the county in Derry, although I'm not so sure on that, you'd have to ask a few of the Derry posters to see how true that is.

There are 40 clubs in Derry which is the norm for most Ulster counties. http://ulster.gaa.ie/county/derry/

Maguire01

Yep - average amount of clubs for an Ulster county.  Almost twice as many as in Fermanagh and well above Monaghan too.

glenullinabu

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 18, 2008, 02:04:49 PM

and i think he has finally got players around him who can take a bit of responsibility - i really fancy skinner for an all-star this year if he can keep injury free & his head settled

Blacksheep

What are the options for the venue?? I heard Parnell Park talked about during the week.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Maguire01

Quote from: Blacksheep on April 19, 2008, 10:12:08 PM
What are the options for the venue?? I heard Parnell Park talked about during the week.
Seriously, it all depends on whether Dublin win or draw tomorrow, simple as that. Dublin win or draw and it's hard not to see a double-header in Croke Park (against Westmesath or Monaghan).  Dublin lose and there's play-off chaos and the Div 1 final goes ahead at some smaller venue, Portlaoise or Parnell, with the GAA pretending they were never awaiting the Division 2 outcome.

Real Talk

- i really fancy skinner for an all-star this year if he can keep injury free & his head settled
[/quote]
When Skinner puts the effort in to reach the level of fitness required for a County footballer and the awareness of a an unselfish team player then he could get an all-star because he is an exceptional talent

Tyrone Dreamer

Would a double header in Portlaoise for the division 1 and 2 finals be an option next Saturday or Sunday?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 20, 2008, 09:37:47 PM
Would a double header in Portlaoise for the division 1 and 2 finals be an option next Saturday or Sunday?
Difficult one to call - i really can't see too much interest in a dublin v westmeath div 2 final, certainly not croker filling anyway.  Portlaoise wouldn't be a bad option now, but I'd rather not play there with the dubs - traffic etc.  Let the Dubs play in Navan and we'll play on sat night in portlaoise.  Don't bring it to croker anyway - imo.

Tyrone Dreamer

I'd fear for the attendance if Derry played Kerry down in Portlaoise on a Saturday night with nothing else on, wouldnt be suprised if it only attracted 5-10000. A double header might create a better atmosphere, though 90% of the Dubs would likely leave after the division 2 final. Certainly wouldn't open Croke now.

Frank Casey

The Kerry County Board have formally asked Croke Park for a Saturday match to avoid clashing with the Munster Rugby match on Sunday.

Theres a real catch 22 here. A double header in Croker would get a good crowd but the use of Portlaoise on a Saturday evening for a stand alone would be better for traffic and give both Kerry and Derry a reasonable chance of getting home before dawn.

I have to agree with Tyrone Dreamer (a frist for a Kerryman!) that the double header would see most of the dubs (except those with mammies from Kerry) leaving after the first match, more so if they were beaten. ;)
KERRY 3:7