National League Final

Started by glenullinabu, April 13, 2008, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 14, 2008, 08:23:42 PM

As good as it would be for Derry to win a league title, I'm not sure it would be the best thing for this Derry team to progress in the championship.

How about you just catch yourself on Sir

Well done Doire!

Maguire01

Indeed - i've seen similar stupid comments from some Monaghan 'fans' about how it might be better not to make it as far as (or even win) the Division 2 final.  What rubbish.  Winners keep on winning - it improves confidence as well as expectation.  And it's funny how no one ever suggests that Kerry or Dublin winning the league title would be detrimental to their performance later in the year.
Good luck to Derry - it would be great to see them lift the title.

Maguire01

Just spotted that Limerick is the venue for the Hurling final with the CCCC to decide on the venue for the football final next week.  They're obviously waiting on the outcome from Div 2 to decide whether to go for a double-header.  If that was the case, and the Dubs were involved, it's likely that it would be Croke Park.

Hoof Hearted

according to today FM, a saturday final is being considered because of a clash with munster/saracens heineken cup semi final
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hound

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 15, 2008, 08:09:01 AM
according to today FM, a saturday final is being considered because of a clash with munster/saracens heineken cup semi final
I'd usually be all in favour of a Saturday game, but that Saturday doesnt suit me. What time on the Sunday does Munster-Sarries kick off at?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 14, 2008, 09:41:44 PM
Indeed - i've seen similar stupid comments from some Monaghan 'fans' about how it might be better not to make it as far as (or even win) the Division 2 final.  What rubbish.  Winners keep on winning - it improves confidence as well as expectation.  And it's funny how no one ever suggests that Kerry or Dublin winning the league title would be detrimental to their performance later in the year.
???  Why put Dublin in there??

Anyway, I also agree, much better to win, it won't breed complacency at all as they know Donegal in Balybofey will be a totally different kettle of fish - Now, if they beat Donegal, they may get ahead of themselves and think Fermanagh will be easy pickings......

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Hound on April 15, 2008, 08:27:09 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 15, 2008, 08:09:01 AM
I'd usually be all in favour of a Saturday game, but that Saturday doesnt suit me. What time on the Sunday does Munster-Sarries kick off at?

3PM
So a 1 throw in would suit and then pile in to the bar for the rugby
sounds like a good day
obviously they are thinking of the kerry contingent travelling to coventry
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

tbrick18

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 15, 2008, 08:49:11 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 14, 2008, 09:41:44 PM
???  Why put Dublin in there??

Anyway, I also agree, much better to win, it won't breed complacency at all as they know Donegal in Balybofey will be a totally different kettle of fish - Now, if they beat Donegal, they may get ahead of themselves and think Fermanagh will be easy pickings......

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see another league title and I'll be at the final. But my worry is that it will breed complacency before the championship...how many times have we seen this happen to this same team. Get a good result and then go out the next day and get tanked by a team we should beat...eg, beat tyrone then get tanked by Donegal....getting beat in the qualifiers by Longford....beat by Monaghan (no offence to Monaghan but Derry should be beating the Monaghans of the country). It seems to be a common thing over the years. Hopefully this has been rectified but we have already seen evidence this year that it has not in the Galway game.
Only time will tell I suppose, but I do want Derry to win every game and every competition....I just hope that we have learned from all those mistakes in the past but I'm not so sure we have.

Maximus Marillius

tbrick18 this team your are talking about has never win anything...so I don't understand how you can
QuoteBut my worry is that it will breed complacency before the championship...how many times have we seen this happen to this same team.
To me there main problem has been not believing in themselves and also the team was not ready nor good enough. We are nearly there...and I think the next two years we will have a team that can deliver a championship

tbrick18

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 15, 2008, 09:40:58 AM
tbrick18 this team your are talking about has never win anything...so I don't understand how you can
QuoteBut my worry is that it will breed complacency before the championship...how many times have we seen this happen to this same team.
To me there main problem has been not believing in themselves and also the team was not ready nor good enough. We are nearly there...and I think the next two years we will have a team that can deliver a championship

I hope your right Max. There's nothing I'd like to see more.

Bogball XV

Lack of belief was very evident against Dublin last year.  I don't think complacency beat us against Monaghan or Donegal either - they're two good sides, maybe Derry played above themselves and were lucky to catch a tyrone side decimated by injuries (it was still sweet though, no score at half time :D).

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

Oakleafer1993

latest about the final;

NFL Final - Derry v Kerry 
Ticket information from County Board relating to Derry's League Final.

Even though the venue for the National League final game Derry v Kerry  has not been announced and will not be done so  to next Monday It has been indicated to us that this game will be an all ticket game. A list of rules has been drawn up within the County regarding tickets, they are as follows:
All clubs requesting tickets must have their orders in  on or before  11am on Friday  18th of April  by e mail The email address to use is gamesadministrator@derry.gaa.ie
Clubs are asked to indicate in their order how many Juvenile or O.A.P. tickets  they need. (we are not sure if  there will be concessionary  tickets  at this time )
Tickets will be non returnable so clubs must make sure of their numbers.
Tickets will have the clubs  name printed on the stubs so therefore tickets will be non transferable 
Clubs are not to depend on County players being able to supply them with tickets.
All tickets will be issued through Owenbeg.
Tickets must be paid for at time of collection.
Clubs may not receive the number of tickets requested but we will do are upmost to accommodate your request.
Nollaig Ui Chorrain
Games Administrator

Bogball XV

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on April 15, 2008, 10:26:49 AM
latest about the final;

NFL Final - Derry v Kerry 
Ticket information from County Board relating to Derry's League Final.

Even though the venue for the National League final game Derry v Kerry  has not been announced and will not be done so  to next Monday It has been indicated to us that this game will be an all ticket game. A list of rules has been drawn up within the County regarding tickets, they are as follows:
All clubs requesting tickets must have their orders in  on or before  11am on Friday  18th of April  by e mail The email address to use is gamesadministrator@derry.gaa.ie
Clubs are asked to indicate in their order how many Juvenile or O.A.P. tickets  they need. (we are not sure if  there will be concessionary  tickets  at this time )
Tickets will be non returnable so clubs must make sure of their numbers.
Tickets will have the clubs  name printed on the stubs so therefore tickets will be non transferable 
Clubs are not to depend on County players being able to supply them with tickets.
All tickets will be issued through Owenbeg.
Tickets must be paid for at time of collection.
Clubs may not receive the number of tickets requested but we will do are upmost to accommodate your request.
Nollaig Ui Chorrain
Games Administrator

What a pile of shite.  Don't know where or when the game is, yet clubs have to buy them in advance, can't say if there are going to be concessionary tickets either (that might have an impact on a family attending, believe it or not), non-refundable?  Is this another attempt by McCloy to make a few quid from the clubs? 
As if there'll be any bother getting tickets anyway.

lynchbhoy

I think the next two years we will have a team that can deliver a championship
I think we have had one for the past two years that could have done so too
but would agree with what you say...I think we are only getting better with only one or two players nearing the ritirement age - Lockhart and Muldoon, and neither are that old and can continue for another while yet.
We also have the younger successful minor and u21 players getting older , more experienced and this is prob the best squad we have had since 1993 - and in actual fact imo we are better than then , the lads of 93 were just a highly driven bunch of men whose combination outweighed the sum of their individuality - their styles and the formation/style that Mr Colemen had them playing complemented each other perfectly and maximised their effectiveness.
A similar type of methodology would benefit the current crop, and as Max says - they are not far away (though plenty of other teams have been this close and never delivered e.g. Mayo, dublin).