National League Final

Started by glenullinabu, April 13, 2008, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenullinabu

Congratulations to Derry on reaching the final
Where and when will it be on?

Maguire01

Galway?  Or a possible double-header in Dublin?

Rossfan

27th April isnt it?
Venue - probably Portlaoise ?
It will hardly be Hyde Park anyway as our co Board declared it unplayable for Feb/March and April ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ExiledGael

Have the GAA ruled out Croke completely? Even if the Dubs make it?
Looking like Derry v Kerry, Monaghan v Dublin, Fermanagh v Wexford, Antrim v Offaly.
Lot of potential for double headers there

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 13, 2008, 04:17:28 PM
Looking like Derry v Kerry, Monaghan v Dublin, Fermanagh v Wexford, Antrim v Offaly.
There is - although Division 2 is very much up in the air at this stage - but there are a number of pairings there where Dublin looks pretty central.

glenullinabu

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 13, 2008, 04:17:28 PM

nice to see so much ulster interest
thought i heard croke park was being saved for concerts? not sure though

mc_grens

Jesus lads. This league final business presents me with an awful problem. I have tickets for the Munster match in Coventry the same day, but its so long since Derry have been in a national final! 2000 league final against Meath I think (or was it 2001?).

Bogball XV

2000 McGrens - I wouldn't wish having to go to coventry on anyone ;)  Didn't think you'd be a Sarries man either.

J70

Quote from: glenullinabu on April 13, 2008, 04:13:29 PM
Congratulations to Derry on reaching the final
Where and when will it be on?

Hopefully a Derry victory will be followed by a four-week bender and tour of all the schools in the county.

the green man

Quote from: mc_grens on April 13, 2008, 10:02:07 PM
Jesus lads. This league final business presents me with an awful problem. I have tickets for the Munster match in Coventry the same day, but its so long since Derry have been in a national final! 2000 league final against Meath I think (or was it 2001?).

2000 Mc Grens, the wireless was saying Portlaoise for the final. Cant understand why a national final wouldn't be played in Croke Park, unless their making more money out of something else. Which would be a sad state of affairs if that was the case. A GAA stadium not hosting a GAA final because some other sport/rockstar/event can garner more coupons? NFL finals should be in Croker, end of.

Maguire01

Quote from: the green man on April 13, 2008, 10:12:13 PM

2000 Mc Grens, the wireless was saying Portlaoise for the final. Cant understand why a national final wouldn't be played in Croke Park, unless their making more money out of something else. Which would be a sad state of affairs if that was the case. A GAA stadium not hosting a GAA final because some other sport/rockstar/event can garner more coupons? NFL finals should be in Croker, end of.

Kerry people never travel until the AI semis, and even then the support is hardcore  :P Look at the Galway/Kerry league final in 2006 as an example.
Derry brought almost 500 people to last year's Championship game against Armagh in Clones.
If this is a stand-along fixture, 10,000 would be a respectable attendance.  Unless it was doubled up with Division 2 and the Dubs were involved, there isn't a mission of Croke Park being used. (In fact, if Division 2 was to end up Dublin and Monaghan, i'd imagine the game in either Cavan or Navan.)

the green man

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 13, 2008, 10:19:06 PM
Quote from: the green man on April 13, 2008, 10:12:13 PM

Kerry people never travel until the AI semis, and even then the support is hardcore  :P Look at the Galway/Kerry league final in 2006 as an example.
Derry brought almost 500 people to last year's Championship game against Armagh in Clones.
If this is a stand-along fixture, 10,000 would be a respectable attendance.  Unless it was doubled up with Division 2 and the Dubs were involved, there isn't a mission of Croke Park being used. (In fact, if Division 2 was to end up Dublin and Monaghan, i'd imagine the game in either Cavan or Navan.)

Is there not a Division 3 final as well? Combine all the league finals together and play them in the rightfull place. If the Dubs get to the Div 2 final then put the Div 1 final 4 hours after. Give the Jacks time to get in

Maguire01

3 in the one day would be too much.  But it would be feasible to have Dublin/Monaghan (if that was the case) doubled up with Antrim/Offaly or Fermanagh/Wexford (again assuming those as final pairings) as any central venue could be relatively central for all 3 potential games.
If Portlaoise is the venue for Div 1, Fermanagh/Wexford would be a likely double-header.

the green man

Derry would take a brave crowd down to Croke for a final, sure its not oft we get there. Likewise Monaghan, if they make it. I've been to a few league finals in my time, and all were at Croke. Usually preceded by the Vocational schools final. Any player of GAA wants to play at Croke, so why deny these players that opportunity. Fair enough, the Kerry boys play there every year. Some counties, and players aren't so lucky. Its a sad state of affairs when we cant get Croke Park for our second biggest title game.

gaagaa

Quote from: the green man on April 13, 2008, 10:33:58 PM
Derry would take a brave crowd down to Croke for a final, sure its not oft we get there. Likewise Monaghan, if they make it.

decisions on national finals shouldnt be on financial grounds
open up corke park and ideally play another final on same day