No Alcohol in GAA Cups

Started by carnaross, April 13, 2008, 12:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnaross

"A motion from The Heath GAA Club in Laois banning filling cups with alcohol after celebrations has been passed overwhelmingly by GAA delegates in Sligo this afternoon.

Proposing the motion Laois Youth Officer Tom Jones stated "Ireland has the highest rate of binge drinking among adults and teenagers in Europe."

"By supporting this we are sending out a clear message about the dangers associated with Alcohol and Drug abuse."

"I would like to complement Joe Connolly and Brendan Murphy from the Alcohol and Drug Substance abuse task-force who have done tremendous work with the promotion of their DVD and Book," Loftus said.

He added, "I have to say how gratifying that we no longer have after 13 years a drinks company involved in the promotion of the All-Ireland Hurling Championship."

25 counties have all ready appointed officers to help combat Drug and Alcohol Substance abuse."

How will this be policed? And what penalty will be imposed for ignoring?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Farrandeelin

Ha, funny it had to be passed yesterday, if it was any earlier, I know a few people who would be caught out!! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maguire01

It's a sad reflection on this country.  It really shouldn't be a problem to celebrate a big win with a bit of bubbly.

Main Street

They just said don't put it in the cup :)

ardmhachaabu08

f**k sake sure they fill the cups for free in the Hatfield!!!
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann

take_yer_points

Quote from: ardmhachaabu08 on April 13, 2008, 04:55:05 PM

And in the Bailey! Maybe not anymore though :)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: take_yer_points on April 13, 2008, 06:31:52 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu08 on April 13, 2008, 04:55:05 PM

And in the Bailey! Maybe not anymore though :)

Where's the Bailey?
Tbc....

Doire abú

Dungannon.

Not many cups to fill there anymore anyway.  ::)

take_yer_points

TacadoirArdMhacha

Impossible to police so its little more than a gesture and I don't think it'll have the slightest effect in combating binge drinking.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 13, 2008, 09:10:49 PM
Impossible to police so its little more than a gesture and I don't think it'll have the slightest effect in combating binge drinking.

it won't

man in black

You wouldnt hear a Kerryman or a Tyroneman coming out with such statements. A bit like the opposition in government, say what you like because you know it will never affect you. ;)
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

orangeman

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 13, 2008, 08:09:11 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on April 13, 2008, 06:57:21 PM
Dungannon.

Not many cups to fill there anymore anyway.  ::)

They have the Hogan Cup in Dugannon but it can't be filled with drink of any kind because the lid is welded on!

The principal of the acadenmy said ( when the students were caught red handed with bottles of champagne in thier hands after winning the Hogan cup ) said they were simply given to the students a la Grand Prix style but that there was only water in the bottles !  ;) ;) :D :D ;D ;D Good try Mrs !

Jinxy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 13, 2008, 09:10:49 PM

Nickey Brennan had an ingenious suggestion at Congress. Drill a small hole or two in the base of the cup. Or start handing out these instead.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Cuthbert Donnelly never allowed any drinking in Sam Maguire the two years he resided in Tyrone.
Testing Accessibility