PFA award nominees

Started by T O Hare, April 11, 2008, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2008, 04:09:48 PM
He's not a midfielder either AZ so GBB's comparison using only goals and assists is pointless. By that rationale he's better than Fabregas as well.  :o

I wasn't really talking about GBB's stats. I was just saying that he is not a striker, as such. He is an attacking midfielder, as I mentioned, which is basically a midfielder with a responsibility to be getting around the box when Liverpool attack, without having all the responsibilities in terms of playmaking, controlling the game and tackling that a real midfielder has.

My point about him being picked in a team like this is that it's hard to pigeon hole him as a midfielder, or as a striker, because he's kind of half and half.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2008, 04:10:11 PM
Lampard would be similar, certainly. What is Chelsea's typical formation? Drogba up, and Essien/Ballack/Makelele/Lampard making a 3 in the middle with Lampard in the Gerrard role? I would say he's more or less the same role and type of player for Chelsea as Gerrard is for Liverpool.

I am agreeing with you. I think their roles are fairly similar, and so too their stats. However Lampard has not had a great season, so stats are not the be all and end all of the arguement.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AZOffaly

Quote from: slow corner back on April 28, 2008, 04:11:06 PM
He has been playing in the hole behind Torres since christmas with the freedom to roam. He is essentially playing a number 10 role like Rooney used to do for Man U when Ruud was at centre forward or like countless other number 10s over the years.

But he hasn't slow corner back, certainly not in the mould of a Bergkamp or anything like that. He tends to operate from halfway to around the edge of the oppositions half of the centre circle, and breaks from there.

You are correct though, in that he has freedom to do the things he's supposed to be good at, but that does not include the role of a second striker, or 'off the front man'. He was deployed in that role a couple of times last year, and it didn't suit him at all either.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 28, 2008, 04:15:31 PM
Lampard would be similar, certainly. What is Chelsea's typical formation? Drogba up, and Essien/Ballack/Makelele/Lampard making a 3 in the middle with Lampard in the Gerrard role? I would say he's more or less the same role and type of player for Chelsea as Gerrard is for Liverpool.

I am agreeing with you. I think their roles are fairly similar, and so too their stats. However Lampard has not had a great season, so stats are not the be all and end all of the arguement.

Certainly. Why are people going on to me about Gerrard's stats? I'm not the one who raised them :D I'm simply pointing out he is not a striker, nor a traditional midfielder. That's all :D

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2008, 04:17:02 PM

Certainly. Why are people going on to me about Gerrard's stats? I'm not the one who raised them :D I'm simply pointing out he is not a striker, nor a traditional midfielder. That's all :D

Sorry AZ....misread earlier!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GalwayBayBoy

Lampard has 10 goals and 8 assists although Derby was a fair help to him in collecting a heap of those goals in one game. ;)

Either way I knew as soon as the stats were posted that the next response would be "well he's not really a midfielder anyway". Well he's definitely not a striker. He's an attacking midfielder. The stats merely highlighted the nonsense of saying such and such a player has been vastly superior to him this season. I don't think it's been Gerrard's best season but he's still been very good overall.

magpie seanie

QuoteThe stats merely highlighted the nonsense of saying such and such a player has been vastly superior to him this season

No they didn't.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2008, 04:43:02 PM
QuoteThe stats merely highlighted the nonsense of saying such and such a player has been vastly superior to him this season

No they didn't.

Yes they did. Yah boo. ;D

magpie seanie

I think its clear from the comments of the other posters on this thread that the stats proved nothing.

Na na na na na!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2008, 05:07:42 PM
I think its clear from the comments of the other posters on this thread that the stats proved nothing.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Man U fans re: Gerrard.

If he hit 40 goals in a season he'd still be getting it. ;D

Besides it's all immaterial as the teams and awards and voted on by those who he plays against every week.

ludermor

Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2008, 02:42:09 PM
I have never said he doesn't deserve it. I have said that it is ridiculous and pointless that he is even considered for it. He has surpassed it.
What is ridiculious is the fact he didnt get the award if he is eligable for it. I agree that he shouldnt be but if he was he should have won it.

magpie seanie

QuoteI wouldn't expect anything less from Man U fans re: Gerrard

Well you don't see anyone questioning Torres place on the team or maybe Manchester United fans are wrong about him too? Its not just cos of who he plays for. Lampard is the same - hugely over rated.

J70

Quote from: ludermor on April 28, 2008, 05:18:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2008, 02:42:09 PM
I have never said he doesn't deserve it. I have said that it is ridiculous and pointless that he is even considered for it. He has surpassed it.
What is ridiculious is the fact he didnt get the award if he is eligable for it. I agree that he shouldnt be but if he was he should have won it.

I'd say most players nominated him for the senior award and just went with one of the others for the young player award.

That's what I would do anyway.

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2008, 03:21:15 PM
QuoteYou're claiming Beckham was never selected ahead of others based on past-reputation?

Er, no.

Ok. So apart from being on a championship-winning team (which does not mean you're the best in your position), what is the difference between that and Gerrard getting the award this season?

magpie seanie

Between what? Name the year and the player in question that we are comparing with.