PFA award nominees

Started by T O Hare, April 11, 2008, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Fabregas hasn't been playing top-level football for six seasons. Torres has been playing top-level football as long as Ronaldo, so I don't think he should be in the young category either. There has to be some level of common sense in the selection of these type of players.

magpie seanie

Quotemaybe Gerrard is a bit like Beckham or Giggs used to be in getting selected year after year.

A bit the same except for the insignificant little matter of the other two contributing to a team that was winning the league. Gerrard's selection is a joke really but typical of the culture of hype that saurrounds some English players. Essien or Barry for starters were miles ahead of him.

And how a player can win POTY but not win Young POTY - well soccer players were never known for their intellect were they?

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2008, 02:09:53 PM
Quotemaybe Gerrard is a bit like Beckham or Giggs used to be in getting selected year after year.

A bit the same except for the insignificant little matter of the other two contributing to a team that was winning the league. Gerrard's selection is a joke really but typical of the culture of hype that saurrounds some English players. Essien or Barry for starters were miles ahead of him.

You're claiming Beckham was never selected ahead of others based on past-reputation?

Giggs has been blowing hot and cold for more than ten years. For every masterclass against Porto or Arsenal there were three games where he was hardly seen.

ludermor

the criteria is for the awards is set out whether we agree with them or not. Discussing whether a player shoud get the award based on his past experience is nonsense for this discussion ( but does deserve another) and its absolute bullshit to say ronaldo doesnt deserve the young player when he is eligible.

J70

I have never said he doesn't deserve it. I have said that it is ridiculous and pointless that he is even considered for it. He has surpassed it.

magpie seanie

QuoteYou're claiming Beckham was never selected ahead of others based on past-reputation?

Er, no.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2008, 02:09:53 PM

Just to blow away this particular myth that Gerrard has been awful this season with some cold hard facts in comparison to some of the others who certain people are clamouring for to be recognised ahead of him. Mainly it seems on the basis that they are not Steven Gerrard.

Gerrard has scored 11 goals and has 11 assists in the league this season.
Barry has 8 goals and 10 assists (most of which have come in his last 4 games well after voting has finished).
Bentley has 6 goals and 9 assists.
Hleb 2 goals and 7 assists.
And even our resident Chelsea fan has said that Essien has only started playing well in the last few weeks!

Overall Gerrard has scored 22 goals this season in all competitions. Only one less than the 23 he scored in 2005/06 when he was thought to have had a brilliant season. Granted I know fans of a certain unmentionable club would rather admit to male sodomy ahead of giving Gerrard any credit whatsoever.

slow corner back

Gerrard has spent the best part of the season playing as a second striker in which case you should compare his goal/assists with say Yakubu or Santa Cruz rather than Bentley or Barry. Barry played half the game at left back yesterday and still got two assists!

AZOffaly

Gerrard is not playing as a second striker. He is playing as an attacking midfielder. I'm not sure if any other team play a similar formation, but he is not a 'striker' as such.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 28, 2008, 04:05:32 PM
Gerrard is not playing as a second striker. He is playing as an attacking midfielder. I'm not sure if any other team play a similar formation, but he is not a 'striker' as such.

I am not fishing, but what are Lampard's stats in comparison? I'd guess they'd be comparable, and with less games. Lampard has had a good season but not a great one.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: slow corner back on April 28, 2008, 04:03:40 PM
Gerrard has spent the best part of the season playing as a second striker in which case you should compare his goal/assists with say Yakubu or Santa Cruz rather than Bentley or Barry. Barry played half the game at left back yesterday and still got two assists!

Do you watch football at all?

magpie seanie

He's not a midfielder either AZ so GBB's comparison using only goals and assists is pointless. By that rationale he's better than Fabregas as well.  :o

AZOffaly

Lampard would be similar, certainly. What is Chelsea's typical formation? Drogba up, and Essien/Ballack/Makelele/Lampard making a 3 in the middle with Lampard in the Gerrard role? I would say he's more or less the same role and type of player for Chelsea as Gerrard is for Liverpool.

slow corner back

He has been playing in the hole behind Torres since christmas with the freedom to roam. He is essentially playing a number 10 role like Rooney used to do for Man U when Ruud was at centre forward or like countless other number 10s over the years.

slow corner back

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 28, 2008, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on April 28, 2008, 04:03:40 PM

Do you watch football at all?
I watch enough to know the difference between a holding midfielder, Barry, and a player in a free role with the team built round him, Gerrard.