'Hunger'

Started by Donagh, April 11, 2008, 02:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: Gaffer on November 09, 2008, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2008, 09:47:18 AM
Can I just say I always considered Faul one of the finest men of our time - someone you could always rely on for absolute truth, honesty and fearless opposition to evil, from whatever quarter it came?

Agree totally. Fr Faul spoke it as he saw it. He represented the views of the majority of Nationalists at that time but who were afraid to speak out because of the fear of being attacked by those Nationalists who did not agree with them.

Faul may have spoke it how he saw it, but invariably he was way out of step with how those in his community saw things. The vast majority of nationalists couldn't have given a toss about joyriders, thieves and drug dealers being run out of town. His later relationship with convicted rapist and paedophile Vincent McKenna at a time when the whole country could tell he was a Walter Mitty sadly illustrated how guliable and arrogant Faul could also be.

Gaffer

Quote from: Donagh on November 09, 2008, 04:38:14 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on November 09, 2008, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2008, 09:47:18 AM
Can I just say I always considered Faul one of the finest men of our time - someone you could always rely on for absolute truth, honesty and fearless opposition to evil, from whatever quarter it came?

Agree totally. Fr Faul spoke it as he saw it. He represented the views of the majority of Nationalists at that time but who were afraid to speak out because of the fear of being attacked by those Nationalists who did not agree with them.

Faul may have spoke it how he saw it, but invariably he was way out of step with how those in his community saw things. The vast majority of nationalists couldn't have given a toss about joyriders, thieves and drug dealers being run out of town. His later relationship with convicted rapist and paedophile Vincent McKenna at a time when the whole country could tell he was a Walter Mitty sadly illustrated how guliable and arrogant Faul could also be.

Do you expect a priest to call for joy riders , thieves and drug dealers to be run out of town. He, in his position as a clergyman, has to follow the teachings of his church.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Main Street

This is a thread about the film Hunger.
Up until yesterday the conversation on this thread has focussed on the film and not on people's love ( and absolute love) of the individuals character involved directly in the H Blocks. Possibly even people who have not seen the film are making comments.
Can people please keep their comments to the Film and whatever has a direct relevance to the Film.

As regards the central debate between the priest and Bobby Sands, the camera dwells for a short while on the priest after the debate has ended. The priest is clearly unnerved and the closing image is of a man taken out of the comfort zone of his beliefs and thrown off balance.

bennydorano

Watched it at the weekend myself, I have to say I was bit underwhelmed myself.  I'd agree with an earlier poster who thought it was arthousey, it defintely was and for those who try to paint it as Republican propaganda - certainly not.  Trying to describe it to a mate, my first words were passionless/impassionate, which is exactly what McQueen was hoping to achieve I'd imagine.  The missus found it a bit disturbing.

ONeill

Quote from: stibhan on November 09, 2008, 04:31:18 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 09, 2008, 03:22:10 PM
Quote from: stibhan on November 09, 2008, 12:00:22 PM
The priest's accent was spot on but his tone turned towards more of a southerner's voice at times,

Would that not have been more accurate if it did?

the priest in the film was from Kilrea.

True enough. That's why I was questioning whether that was actually Faul (from Louth) in the scene, or just some random priest who was simply there to further the narrative.

I think Faul was privy to too many things that were not in the name of a 'just cause' and, as clergy, realised he couldn't let certain things go without comment action. Some claim the pressure he put on the parents of the latter hunger-strikers was close to religious blackmail, but at the same time adhered to the teachings of the church.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Main Street on November 09, 2008, 06:38:56 PM
This is a thread about the film Hunger.
Up until yesterday the conversation on this thread has focussed on the film and not on people's love ( and absolute love) of the individuals character involved directly in the H Blocks. Possibly even people who have not seen the film are making comments.
Can people please keep their comments to the Film and whatever has a direct relevance to the Film.

As regards the central debate between the priest and Bobby Sands, the camera dwells for a short while on the priest after the debate has ended. The priest is clearly unnerved and the closing image is of a man taken out of the comfort zone of his beliefs and thrown off balance.

Have to say I've enjoyed both discussions. And I haven't seen the film! Hope you don't mind Main Street?

Main Street

Of course debate is interesting but it is too easy to let debate about this film be diverted by people's own personal beliefs which have nothing to do with the film.

Clown

went to watch it last week in belfast and there wasnt a spare seat in the house

it would be hard to say the film was enjoyable, it was hard to watch in parts but definately a must see.
i think mcqueen tried to be neutral, but if a foreigner watched it i think they would side with the prisoners

it was very arty and not like any other films ive watched before.

Main Street

full back

Didnt read back MS
Deleted  :-X

ONeill

Did a wee bit of research today and as I slightly suspected, that priest was not in fact Fr Faul but a Fr Toner - well based on him any way. Makes no difference to the narrative of the film but was definitely a long way off the personality of Faul. 

Doogie Browser

Faul is bound to have shaped the lives of many on this board from his time at the Academy.  History will be kind to Denis Faul, he always took on the cause of the oppressed and marginalised in our community, I may not have agreed with some of his 'principled stands' but the man never veered from his position.  He got centrally involved in the Hunger Strikes at a time when to do so was going to attract plenty of opposition, I also think he said mass very day in Long Kesh during the strike.

Back to the film, yet to see it and hope to get this weekend so will make no comments on that until then. 

Donagh

Quote from: ONeill on November 10, 2008, 08:40:44 PM
Did a wee bit of research today and as I slightly suspected, that priest was not in fact Fr Faul but a Fr Toner - well based on him any way. Makes no difference to the narrative of the film but was definitely a long way off the personality of Faul. 

Well I did tell you that in the previous page, but then again with me not having a grasp of things...  ::)

ONeill

Sorry, must've nodded off before the edit!!

Main Street

A good part of the debate about the morality of the hunger strike was based on Fr.Faul and his attempt the day before to talk Sands out of the strike. The story Bobby used in the film to illustrate  'greater love has no man ..' was based on the debate he had with Fr.Faul on that eve.

The priests reaction in the Film at the end of the debate was one of resignation.
AFAIR, Fr. Faul's own account of that meeting is more soft towards Sands, an ideological disagreement but deep respect for the man's expressed sincere beliefs.
Apart from mundane details, I fail to see where there are massive inaccuracies in this film around the Priest, but the debate conclusion is more the H Block version.