Tommie Kenoy: the man who rewrote Ireland's history - in his own words

Started by quidnunc, April 09, 2008, 06:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: thejuice on April 11, 2008, 10:52:47 AM
Anyone else think that England playing in Croke Park didnt change anything or show we've "moved on". I dont know, I still look around and still see the same old attitudes in same old places. A good sporting occasion but didnt have an impact on anything beyond the realm of sport.

Spot on, England played in Landsdowne every second year with no hassle.
This game was in a different stadium, but with the same fans.
What did they expect to happen, Rugby fans to be offended at the playing of GSTQ in Croke park??

The way they go on you would thing Croke park was full of GAA fans for this rugby match  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 11, 2008, 01:27:32 PM
Anyone else think that England playing in Croke Park didnt change anything or show we've "moved on". I dont know, I still look around and still see the same old attitudes in same old places. A good sporting occasion but didnt have an impact on anything beyond the realm of sport.
The way they go on you would thing Croke park was full of GAA fans for this rugby match  ::)

Is it not possible to be a GAA AND Rugby supporter?? I know alot of GAA people who also love their rugby as well and enjoyed the day out.

his holiness nb

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on April 11, 2008, 01:42:33 PM
Is it not possible to be a GAA AND Rugby supporter?? I know alot of GAA people who also love their rugby as well and enjoyed the day out.

Of course it is. My point is that people who support both sports would have been in Landsdowne previously too and there was never any hassle there, so why would there be hassle with the same set of fans as before?
Ask me holy bollix

thejuice

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 11, 2008, 01:27:32 PM

Sure I follow rugby as well, but Croke park was probably not FULL of GAA fans and I doubt many of the No-crowd were in attendance either.

*********What he said above
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 11, 2008, 01:55:04 PM

Of course it is. My point is that people who support both sports would have been in Landsdowne previously too and there was never any hassle there, so why would there be hassle with the same set of fans as before?

Fair enough lads, but lets not forget alot of the grass root GAA people(obviously not all) had no problem with Rugby/Soccer using croker for a period of time. I dont think had the stadium been full of GAA people it would of been much different. Are'nt we GAA supporters just as decent as any rugby supporter ? Are you implying a stadium full of GAA people would boo their antem, cause hassle etc. I think most decent GAA people would not.

thejuice

most likely not but not to go off the track from my original point I dont think England playing Ireland in rugby changed anything really and didnt signify us moving on or anything like that. The hyperbole that people are coming up with about that game is ridiculous.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on April 11, 2008, 02:08:43 PM
Fair enough lads, but lets not forget alot of the grass root GAA people(obviously not all) had no problem with Rugby/Soccer using croker for a period of time. I dont think had the stadium been full of GAA people it would of been much different. Are'nt we GAA supporters just as decent as any rugby supporter ? Are you implying a stadium full of GAA people would boo their antem, cause hassle etc. I think most decent GAA people would not.

So do I Heineken, the only point I am making is that its not really that suprising that the team and anthems were respected as it was the same people who have respected them for years at that game. Some people made out it was a groundbreaking moment in Irish history due to this, it wasnt. It was the same fans, same respect, different stadium. No big deal.

I certainly wouldnt say it was the day we "declared our independance"  ;)
Ask me holy bollix