Venice

Started by King of Kilskerry, April 07, 2008, 05:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King of Kilskerry

going to Venice for the long weekend with the missus. Anyone been ? any recommendations

go4goal

Generally cold at this time of year!!

mhacadoir

class place to go. went there once on holiday, stayed outside in a place called ca'savio. its pretty good spot.

Louth Exile

I recommend that you bring plenty of money, its wild expensive. Spent nearly as much there in one night as I did on Lake Garda for previous four!!

Mind you having said that, I enjoyed it. Get the water taxi from your hotel to the airport when you are leaving, it will cost about €70 but it is class and I thought that it was well worth it. They say to take the gondola by night if you are doing it as the city looks much better by night (I don't know we didn't bother).
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

The Iceman

ah lad I wouldn't go back to venice if I was paid.

I went there in 06 at the end of March - it was cold, the smell of the water in the town was stinking, there were pigeons attacking you from every angle and as stated above it was very very expensive.

My accommodation was grand, food tasted good but the atmosphere we were looking for just wasn't there.

Luckily we went on to Florence and had a ball there.

Maybe re-think or try to make the most of it
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

theskull1

Like LE has said. Bring plenty of cash with you cause you'll need it. It is a dear smelly (temperature dependent) hole and is not all it is cracked up to be. An anti climax if ever there was one.

Sorry to burst your bubble
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Pangurban

Was there two weeks ago, very cold and misty, though the mist does not penetrate much beyond St.Marks Square. Quite expensive but well worth it, certainly one of the most unique cities in the world. Took Vaporetta from Airport 10 Euros, journry time 45mins. Taxi back to Airport 80Euros, and he got lost in fog. Some excellent shows on at minute,very reasonably priced, hotel will provide details.

Hurler on the Bitch

Hi... haven't seen me guide book in a while.. The wife and I were there in 2006 and it's even better than you think. Now then. The best place to hang out in the after walking all day IMO is the square where all the uni students are... 5 minutes walk from the bus station - just ask at the hotel. In the evening, just sit and chill outside the bars - as the staff bring out bowls of olives, etc - and try a Campari (everyone drinks it). On the other side there are great restaruants - pizza, pasta, etc - with long tables outside so as your meal is a communal affair... The main thing I found about Venice was the silence - no cars vespas etc ... just start walking round it / through it  (in fact, set out to get lost) and see where you end up - that's the way... go to the Cimetro (cemetery) on the water bus - fascinating!!!  Do the St Marks etc - but I found that the best way was to get off the beaten track - away from the fat-arsed Yanks - and just chill out ......... The thing is that you really sense that you are in a truly historic place, so just absorb the whole experience....

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Louth Exile on April 07, 2008, 07:11:26 PM
I recommend that you bring plenty of money, its wild expensive. Spent nearly as much there in one night as I did on Lake Garda for previous four!!

Mind you having said that, I enjoyed it. Get the water taxi from your hotel to the airport when you are leaving, it will cost about €70 but it is class and I thought that it was well worth it. They say to take the gondola by night if you are doing it as the city looks much better by night (I don't know we didn't bother).

Look - like everything.. just keep off the tourist traps and you'll be ok..

armaghniac

QuoteLook - like everything.. just keep off the tourist traps and you'll be ok..

Absolutely. Whether in Venice, or Rome for that matter, there is only 10 mins walk between paying outrageous prices and merely paying Dublin type prices and probably getting better food too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lfdown2

doing italy myself in sep stopping for few days in venice, having wild bother finding somewhere cheap to stay any of ye do it the student way?hostel etc?

Fishbat

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2008, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on April 08, 2008, 10:54:54 AM
doing italy myself in sep stopping for few days in venice, having wild bother finding somewhere cheap to stay any of ye do it the student way?hostel etc?

Italy is a bitch to do on the cheap, they don't really do hostels.

Everywhere has a hostel somewhere - depends on your own perspective - personally speaking if its got a roof - game on.  google it - plenty on offer from 20 yoyo

buglebhoy

wouldn't go back to venice, the water is stinking, it's a rip off and pigeons everywhere!! site seeing is fantastic though but not enough for me to go back!! 3/10

Louth Exile

Loads giving out about the smell of the water, I have to say that when I was there it was grand, no stink.

The flying rats are annoying though
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com