Holiday ideas in Ireland (2 young kids in tow)

Started by Smokin Joe, April 07, 2008, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Quote from: The Iceman on April 07, 2008, 07:00:09 PM
Enniscrone - drive to sligo - grab some lunch - then just over an hour to enniscrone

beach, activities for kids, good food, nice pubs, near knock if you want to visit that  - july is good - big festival in Ballina (mayo) at the time.

Iceman, we were looking at Enniscrone.  Accommodation for 2 or 3 days during the summer seems to be the problem.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bennydorano on April 07, 2008, 07:20:05 PM
Smokin Joe, did you not see the pull out in the Irish News one day last week? Donegal has it's own Trabalgon type resort now! Rockhill Holiday Park, near kerrykeel (rathmullen) direction.

Benny, seen that and considering it, but again during July & August minimum stay is 1 week.
Have the possibility of the 2 or 3 nights towards the end of June, but the summer clubs only run during July & August.

It appears that the big stumbling block is the stay of less than 1 week.

Fishbat

What about Westport House - loads of stuff for the kids and yourselves.  Its a camping site though so a caravan would be needed, or a good tent

J70

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 07, 2008, 03:24:04 PM
I have 2 children, a 2 year old and a 7 month old nipper.

We are looking to head away for a few days during the Summer and are after some ideas.

As I see it a hotel is out of the question (not for cost), just that a hotel with slamming doors at 3am and 2 children who are light sleepers at the best of times aren't a good mix.
So it's probably somewhere self catering kind of thing.

We are based in Armagh and were probably thinking of somewhere fairly close by, like Doneagl or Sligo etc.

And the last requirement (which is the thing beating us at the moment) is that I don't think we can do a week.  The kids are too young to have a proper holiday and I'd say that after about 3 days everyone would be ready for home.  This is causing us a problem as everywhere during the summer seems to want (for obvious reasons) a mimimum stay of one week.

So in summary, I want to take them away for a few days, see the beach / sea etc but I don't think a week is doable.

Anyone been in the same boat, or have any ideas / recommendations?

There's no shortage of holiday homes in Donegal!

bingobus

Lads, pulled this thread to look for any suggestions not previously noted or experiences since.

Same situation but from Monaghan.

Any ideas? Like to plan trips well in advance.

Denn Forever

From another thread posted by Rois and Ziggy has stayed there an enjoyed it.

Lusty Beg in Fermanagh have lodges on their site with three bedrooms, kitchen, living room etc.  I stayed in one and they're top notch.  Lough Erne have the same but I'd imagine pricier.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

bingobus

Seen that, have been once for a wedding. Would there be much to do to keep the wee man 2.5 occupied? Mind you throw him a ball and open space and he's delighted with himself!