Golf Clubs

Started by Mickey Linden, April 07, 2008, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Can anyone advise on buying a set of golf clubs? I am basically a complete beginner and value for money is paramount. I would like to get a set of clubs with bag and all included for round the £100 mark if possible?

maddog

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EX-DISPLAY-ARNOLD-PALMER-GOLF-SET-rrp-699-G-G_W0QQitemZ180230812100QQihZ008QQcategoryZ115280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a guy selling a rake of these on ebay. A mate of mine got a set of these for £80, i think they are ex display or something. I've seen these sell for as low as £60. Stick a bid of £100 on them and you will eventually net a set.
My mate plays a bit, and he rates the clubs as excellent value.

behind the wire

mickey are you starting to play royal mayobridge on a sunday morning by any chance?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Mickey Linden

Quote from: maddog on April 07, 2008, 10:54:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EX-DISPLAY-ARNOLD-PALMER-GOLF-SET-rrp-699-G-G_W0QQitemZ180230812100QQihZ008QQcategoryZ115280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a guy selling a rake of these on ebay. A mate of mine got a set of these for £80, i think they are ex display or something. I've seen these sell for as low as £60. Stick a bid of £100 on them and you will eventually net a set.
My mate plays a bit, and he rates the clubs as excellent value.

Thanks for that maddog ill have a look!

FermGael

Joined a society and going to give the golf a rattle this year.
Anyone got any advice on a good set of beginner clubs to start of with??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mournerambler

It might not be a bad idea to go to somewere like nevada bobs to try out different types of irons, they'll link your shots to a computer & it will analyse them to see which type of club suits your swing etc.
It's a safer bet than buying a set of irons which are not suited to your style of play, believe me I found out the hard way & 4 drivers later i'm able to use the driver without the fear of decapitating somebody on the next fairway.

5 Sams

Quote from: mournerambler on February 18, 2010, 10:45:40 AM
It might not be a bad idea to go to somewere like nevada bobs to try out different types of irons, they'll link your shots to a computer & it will analyse them to see which type of club suits your swing etc.
It's a safer bet than buying a set of irons which are not suited to your style of play, believe me I found out the hard way & 4 drivers later i'm able to use the driver without the fear of decapitating somebody on the next fairway.

I'd be going out the door with a hurl :-[
The Aristocrat Years

thebigfella

Quote from: mournerambler on February 18, 2010, 10:45:40 AM

If you are a complete beginner, it's highly unlikely you have any sort of repetative swing. Complete waste of time and money, better spending a bit of cash on a few lessons.

Any beginners set would be fine. If you get a year out of them, then think about trying different clubs, swing analysis etc.

FermGael

Cheers bigfella.
Would be near enough a complete beginner. 
where would be the best place to look?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

thebigfella

Quote from: FermGael on February 18, 2010, 11:46:08 AM
Cheers bigfella.
Would be near enough a complete beginner. 
where would be the best place to look?

Wilson, Spalding and Ram beginner set are probably what you want to look at. Depending on your price range some of the Wilson sets are excellent, in around £200. Try online golf, mcguirks etc...

Geoff Tipps

Would start off with a cheapish/decent set. You should be able to pick something up for a few hundred euro. If after a year you think you're improving enough perhaps look into getting a custom set.

thebigfella

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 18, 2010, 12:03:32 PM
Would start off with a cheapish/decent set. You should be able to pick something up for a few hundred euro. If after a year you think you're improving enough perhaps look into getting a custom set.

I know quite a few low single figure handicappers who don't have custom clubs. Unless you abnormally long/short arms and/or are quite tall/short i'd say you are wasting your money. 

Shrek

i think getting your clubs custom fitted isvery, very important.

saying i havent got mine done yet as i going to change shortly.

btw anyone after a a really good driver or a 3 wood. PM me for more details.

totally legal.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: thebigfella on February 18, 2010, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 18, 2010, 12:03:32 PM

I know quite a few low single figure handicappers who don't have custom clubs. Unless you abnormally long/short arms and/or are quite tall/short i'd say you are wasting your money.

Custom fitting clubs take into account your swing, whether you slice/hook the ball aswell as your height. If you are a beginner then your swing is going to evolve, it will change as you get better, having them fitted now is a waste of time unless you are over 6.6ft or under 5ft. Best thing to do is spend your money on lessons. Get your swing right now before you end up with nasty habits.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

T O Hare

Quote from: Mickey Linden on April 07, 2008, 10:47:33 AM
Can anyone advise on buying a set of golf clubs? I am basically a complete beginner and value for money is paramount. I would like to get a set of clubs with bag and all included for round the £100 mark if possible?

Catch yourself on!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"