Golf Clubs

Started by Mickey Linden, April 07, 2008, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximus

So I'd need to get a driver as well? Would you recommend one in particular?

Hedley Lamarr

Get yourself a decent putter and dont get too caught up with a driver.

The old saying "drive for show and putt for dough"

The secret is to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as you can....again "there are no pictures on a score card"

Practice your short game as often as you can as this is where you will save shots on the course.

Hit whatever you are comfortable with off the tee.....you are better being 150 yards down the fairway in play than 250 yards in the trees or rough.

Most of all enjoy it.....a bad day on the course is better than a good day in the office/work ;)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on April 05, 2010, 09:37:41 AM
Get yourself a decent putter and dont get too caught up with a driver.

The old saying "drive for show and putt for dough"

The secret is to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as you can....again "there are no pictures on a score card"

Practice your short game as often as you can as this is where you will save shots on the course.

Hit whatever you are comfortable with off the tee.....you are better being 150 yards down the fairway
in play than 250 yards in the trees or rough.

Most of all enjoy it.....a bad day on the course is better than a good day in the office/work ;)

Great advice.
I also think you would be better off spending on a good putter than a driver, you lose more shots on the green than anywhere else, a driver is hard enough to master so you be better off getting some sort of swing together before trying a driver.. Just my opinion
You'll Never Walk Alone.

maximus

Thanks very much lads will get the clubs ordered and get started! Can I just check that in additon to the set recommended the only other club I would need would be the putter??

maximus

The Real Laoislad

Yeah they should do to get you started,you will need a bag of course
You'll Never Walk Alone.

maximus

Doing a bit of reading about the clubs there is it necessary to get a 3 or 5 wood or would the set of irons and putter suffice for a beginner? Sorry about the number of qns!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: maximus on April 06, 2010, 09:58:34 PM
Doing a bit of reading about the clubs there is it necessary to get a 3 or 5 wood or would the set of irons and putter suffice for a beginner? Sorry about the number of qns!

3 and 5 woods are hard hit off the deck, the hybrids will suit you better
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bigfrank

Hadnt golfed since Nov until yesterday and have been bitten again :) I have my own clubs that i got off 'santa' a few years ago lol....not a great player but would treat myself to a new set if found something reasonably priced and well thought of....any advice...have searched the obvious nevada bobs/jjb sports/ etc but not really sure...

thebigfella

Quote from: bigfrank on April 29, 2011, 04:29:11 PM
Hadnt golfed since Nov until yesterday and have been bitten again :) I have my own clubs that i got off 'santa' a few years ago lol....not a great player but would treat myself to a new set if found something reasonably priced and well thought of....any advice...have searched the obvious nevada bobs/jjb sports/ etc but not really sure...

Why change them if they are only a few years old?

bigfrank

few years is a long enuf time to be using the same set of clubs....i may have out grown them...thye were prob a fairly cheap set that have done my job up until now....if i didnt enjoy golf then they were the perfect set as not much money was lost finding out....however its something i would love to get good at...see my friends with new clubs and wouldn mind treain myself to something too...any advice would be good

winsamsoon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullet-Deluxe-Graphite-Steel-Shafts/dp/B002JPGOEK/ref=sr_1_97?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1305032654&sr=1-97

There you go max for £100 you can get this set to start you of and see do you like the game. you can then progress from there. This set includes putter, driver and carrying bag plus irons etc
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

heganboy

Quote from: bigfrank on May 10, 2011, 01:27:54 PM
any advice would be good

You dont have to spend a lot of money- get a "game improvement set" and the one piece of advice i have whatever you buy make sure they are fit for your swing. Its the length of the club and the angle it is offset that really affect the swing

A $2000 set that fits my 5'6"  who swings fairly bent at the waist friend are going to be worse than useless to me at 6'3"and I'm pretty upright...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

supersarsfields

Bought these last week and they see to be grand for a novice. Not too dear either!!

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-tour-pro-golf-set-876143

bigfrank

Quote from: winsamsoon on May 10, 2011, 02:06:34 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullet-Deluxe-Graphite-Steel-Shafts/dp/B002JPGOEK/ref=sr_1_97?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1305032654&sr=1-97

There you go max for £100 you can get this set to start you of and see do you like the game. you can then progress from there. This set includes putter, driver and carrying bag plus irons etc

Only one review on amazon and clubs got hammered by guy doing it lol....i know its only one person...set i have are a similar small brand...suregolf or something they are called....kinda dont like buyin stuff off line cause u dont get to hold the club for length/feel etc before u buy if that makes sense....drive to nevada bobs could be answer but their website didnt have anythin well priced or on offer than seemed to suit me