Author Topic: Keoghan should walk!  (Read 30597 times)

cornafean

• View Profile
Re: Keoghan should walk!
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 05:30:13 PM »
As said before Liam Mc Cabe and the retired treasurer were the main administrators in getting Keogan into the post. Now all we need is a fat Larry to brighten up our days. remember the photo in the paper a two yrs ago, and that was him training all season. Another step backwards. All invovled in Keogans appointment should be hunted

Very very unfair in my opinion. The County Board's hands were tied when they had to appoint a new manager 2 years ago, as the weight of the collective opinion, coming from the clubs, (some) sponsors and the public, was strongly in favour of appointing a manager from within the county. There were some of us who disagreed with this opinion, however we were in a minority, and anyway not too many quality candidates were likely to be found inside or outside the county given the hounding that Martin McElkennon had got in the aftermath of the defeat to Waterford that Spring.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:32:02 PM by cornafean »
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

cornafean

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
(posted twice)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »
Jesus I heard a Cavan related story around Christmas time that I assumed to be untrue, but having read this thread I wouldn't be so sure, trouble is it's 100%  libellous, but it's a first hand account!

Hollow Man

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »
You should hear the reason he got off in court, incredible...

youse forgot about the keoghan v gaynor fiasco too! (dropping one of the best CHB in the country)

That's a laugh. A pre-requisite for an inter county player is discipine. Gaynor doesn't have it, and there's no point going on about a good manager - Eamon Coleman was a great manager and, more pertinently, a great man-manager and he let us down badly under him a couple of times.

Bernard Morris has won a Division One league title, a IFC and an Ulster IFC in three eyaesr with Ballinagh, so he's not a bad manager either and look what he had to do, play the fella in the forwards becuse it's too dangerous having him in the backs where the main empasis is to stop the opposition!

I agree to an extent - Keogan had called Gaynor back (same as Brides, Reilly and Reilly) having dropped him in 05, but after the Navan fiasco he recanted.

Hollow Man

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »
Scroll half way down this page to see the article from The Star a while back about Keogan up in court

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=53.165

cavan4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
http://
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:40:17 PM by cavan4ever »

anglocelt39

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
This is probably getting a small bit out of hand and personalised.

Now we've had plenty of managers over the last several years and we ain't exactly burdened down with honours. And as the Lynch Man from Derry quite correctly pointed out, it wasn't as if our entire panel were sworn to the pledge before the bold Donal happened upon the scene.

As I see it DK is just a sympton of where we are at presently, not totally the cause, our club scene is shite, our under age scene is shite. We're at as high a level league wise at the moment as we are likely to be no matter who is in charge.

Having said all that, with somebody at the helm who could get everyone fired up and pointed in the right direction, we should be good enough to do a bit better than we have over the last year or two.

People/Internet power managed to help get Maughan shafted in Roscommon and I suppose it might end up the same way up our way, Not knowing DK but he mightn't be the sort to go without doing some damage along the way. Pity the poor fecker that has to pick up the pieces if it comes to pass
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

blasmere

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »
Could this thread be going the same way as the Stevie from Killeavy one on Orchardcounty.com?? ;)
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Gaaboardmod3

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
Alright lads. I think it's fairly obvious there is widespread dissatisfaction at the way the manager is doing the job in Cavan, and his team bonding methods. But can we just veer away from the off the field stuff, before someone says something out of order?

Cheers.

cavan4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »
Alright lads. I think it's fairly obvious there is widespread dissatisfaction at the way the manager is doing the job in Cavan, and his team bonding methods. But can we just veer away from the off the field stuff, before someone says something out of order?

Cheers.

The only person out of order is the manager  :P

lynchbhoy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »

youse forgot about the keoghan v gaynor fiasco too! (dropping one of the best CHB in the country)

That's a laugh. A pre-requisite for an inter county player is discipine. Gaynor doesn't have it, and there's no point going on about a good manager - Eamon Coleman was a great manager and, more pertinently, a great man-manager and he let us down badly under him a couple of times.

Bernard Morris has won a Division One league title, a IFC and an Ulster IFC in three eyaesr with Ballinagh, so he's not a bad manager either and look what he had to do, play the fella in the forwards becuse it's too dangerous having him in the backs where the main empasis is to stop the opposition!

I agree to an extent - Keogan had called Gaynor back (same as Brides, Reilly and Reilly) having dropped him in 05, but after the Navan fiasco he recanted.
I would not think a pre-requisite to play intercounty is discipline - its talent. I agree though that he is a ill disciplined lad, and hard to tame.
Still with the talent he has, would it not be better to give it a go?
That replay in the championship v down a couple of years ago he was magnificent - and only a boy.

Morris may have other reasons for playing him in the forwards..not just disciplinary

on that note, I was wondering if Morris would be the next man Cavan should turn to as a manager...ok he is still only learning and its early yet for him (plus prob still too many lads on the squad he played along with), but hes already got more exp under his belt than the current manager, and he looks like he can motivate and put out a good side - and Ballinagh were looking like yoyo perennial underachievers....

cavan4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »

I would not think a pre-requisite to play intercounty is discipline - its talent. I agree though that he is a ill disciplined lad, and hard to tame.
Still with the talent he has, would it not be better to give it a go?
That replay in the championship v down a couple of years ago he was magnificent - and only a boy.

Morris may have other reasons for playing him in the forwards..not just disciplinary

on that note, I was wondering if Morris would be the next man Cavan should turn to as a manager...ok he is still only learning and its early yet for him (plus prob still too many lads on the squad he played along with), but hes already got more exp under his belt than the current manager, and he looks like he can motivate and put out a good side - and Ballinagh were looking like yoyo perennial underachievers....

I heard before maybe it was Homer that said it on here that Morris is limited enough and is similar to Keoghan in that he doesn't have a Plan B if Plan A doesn't work.

lynchbhoy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2008, 10:54:45 AM »
I heard before maybe it was Homer that said it on here that Morris is limited enough and is similar to Keoghan in that he doesn't have a Plan B if Plan A doesn't work.
fair enough, I have been listening to Morris fans, so not getting the full spectrum of opinion.
Still, he wouldnt be on his own at having no plan B amongst current crop of intercounty managers.....some dont even have a plan A !

shotstopper1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »

Rules him out straight away if we are to go by the past two county board appointments

The County Board's hands were tied when they had to appoint a new manager 2 years ago, as the weight of the collective opinion, coming from the clubs, (some) sponsors and the public, was strongly in favour of appointing a manager from within the county. There were some of us who disagreed with this opinion, however we were in a minority, and anyway not too many quality candidates were likely to be found inside or outside the county given the hounding that Martin McElkennon had got in the aftermath of the defeat to Waterford that Spring.

I'm not too sure if the County Boards hands were tied at the time,there were one or two other candidates in the frame at the time,but once DK's name was put forward they withdrew as they knew it would be futile to oppose him and his offer to the county board.It was then up to the clubs to ratify his selection and as he had financially supported the majority of clubs in one way or another this was going to be a foregone conclusion.

Lawrence of Knockbride

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »
Sorry, not sure how to put up that purple quote thing. I think the point that's being made Shotstopper was that the delegates from the clubs backed the appointment of Keoghan. Is this not how it works? I spoke to a reasonably well known business man in the months leading up to the appointment and before Keoghan, had really entered the race (as far as I knew at the time.) He told me that the one man that would get the job, if he wanted it, was Keoghan as he sponsored so many clubs etc. This proved to be the case. So in summary, if each club appoints 2 or 3 representatives to the county board and if these individuals collectively have a large say in who the manager should be, is it not the collective Cavan GAA supporters who are partly responsible as we elect these people at our AGMs? Am I wrong about the power these people have? It's a bit like whinging about the Health System and the Mahon Tribunal after re-electing Fianna Fail.