Author Topic: Keoghan should walk!  (Read 29522 times)

cavanmaniac

• View Profile
Re: Keoghan should walk!
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »
You can sing that.

thebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
I agree there maniac - you've got to give him credit - he admitted he failed -

Just like Ger loughnane said that he had failed - credit where it's due !

One thing you won't see or hear is the players coming out and acknowledging that they weren't committed enough etc etc.

Some of their players seem to be more interested in Bebo than Football

mylestheslasher

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
Why would you give this clown any credit. He finished his term whinging about players not giving him commitment etc, as if this was all a big shock to him. 3 players left for the US last year (demonstrating lack of commitment). He said he'd never play them again. Then he invites one (Seanie Johnstone) back at the start of the year. Bring another (Martin Cahill) in for 1 week, culls the panel and sends him home again. Then bring Cahill back about 3 weeks before the championship starts. The 3rd guy (Paul Brady) comes back 2 weeks before the championship. Ignoring Johnstone, the other 2 got there place in the championship ahead of other lads who'd been training all year. I haven't all week to go into the way some of the young new midfielders were treated but it was appaling. The whole  thing ended in farce with Nicholas Walshe (who trained all year - although he left for some reason for a period of time) getting his 1st game of the year with 20 minutes left against Kildare and turned the match around completely. Walshe came on for a young lad called Keating who had been called into the panel for  the 1st time before the Kildare game - and he starts ahead of Walshe. Then of course the lock ins are a great way to get lads to take football seriously. The man is a complete idiot and maybe when he admits that I'll give him some credit.

cavanmaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
I agree with all that myles but at least he admitted that the buck ultimately stops with him for the poor performance, you don't get many managers being even that honest and for that alone, I'd give him a little bit of credit. I'm also pleased that someone has at last shone a light on the players that haven't been doping all they might in recent years. The comment about alot of lads wanting the trappings of being an intercounty footballer without accepting the responsibility and duty that goes with it, certainly rang true to me anyway.

Nobody could disagree that Keogan's reign was a shambles, there was no end to the things he made a balls of, but perhaps his biggest positive contribution has ironically come as he walks out the door, because now it's very much a matter of record that Cavan has too many players swinging the lead. I expect that any future manager will now make it a priority request that this is sorted out before taking the job so in that respect it might be a small catalyst for change that wouldn't have been there had Keogan not said what he did.

anglocelt39

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »
How many times have we been here before so folks-Austin/Andrews/Kerrigan/Coleman/McIlkennon/Cassidy/Keogan. At the same time we are left with a couple of prime wasters of players on the panel who have a lifestyle more akin to Shane Macgowan than that of an inter county footballer. Anyway I am optimistic that we can make a bit of progress with the right appointment unfortunately there is a nagging cynic in me that suggests, perhaps, a different scenario:

October-after conclusion of County Championship county board announces appoitment of xxxxxxxxxx with great fanfare-licence to clean things out;
Trial games organised forNovember-assault courses, challenge matches etc.
Mckenna cup panel announced with a number of interesting omissions, bravo say we all. Good wins over Qub, Antrim and a tanking by Tyrone;
Serene progress through early stages of Division 3 of the League-Sean Johnston interviewed in national media and advises us that all is going well, has never known a more professional setup;
Things come a cropper in the latter stages of the league with last minute defeat to Rossies costing promotion;
Pre championship challenge games sees recall of certain former inter county players discarded from panel, a number hailing from the Cavan/Longford border area. Two midfielders from 2008 minor team drafted in to address problems in this area.
Win all ireland from preliminary round in Ulster, annexing 40th Ulster title along the way and personal consternation as i'm forced to change my username.

Seriously for a moment-it's a managers merry go round and during this time a cabal of 6 or 7 players who are legends in their own minds have continued to be indulged. What's the betting the next inspired appointment won't be prevailed on to give another "one last chance". God I'm pissed off with all this garbage.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2008, 08:44:27 PM »
I laughed my hole off at that until I realised it was all true.

Then I stopped laughing and started crying.