Tir Eoghain -v- Maigh Eo - Sunday 13th April

Started by ziggysego, April 06, 2008, 01:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Just caught the tail end on the wireless - the mayo boys were very impressed with Tommy McGuigan.

Hopefully someone at the game can post a player synopsis.

Carmen Stateside

Rte report had Brian Mc Guigan as "magical" !
Great to get him through a full game! Seemed like a better performance today.

Tyrone Dreamer

Some encouraging signs particularly the performance of McGuigan. Lasted the 70 minutes and was involved throughout, still has some way to go to get back his sharpness but that should come. There's no way his ankle is as bad as was made out here, though I dont doubt that he has a problem. The deployment of Sean Cavanagh at full forward for the first 50 minutes also worked out very well with most scores coming through him - definately an option for the championship. Tommy McGuigan kicked 3 or 4 from play, a sideline ball and a few free's. I'll admit that he probably wouldnt be in my first 15 but on todays performance will be hard to drop him. Holmes also worked well and had a very good second half.

There were problems also. We struggled at times to win any ball in the middle which is also a worry particularly as it looks like Cavangagh could solve the full forward problem. Maybe if Dooher gets fit this wont be quite as much a problem.The defence was also much to open throughout. McCaul played in the corner most of the game and did well in the 1st half but struggled at times in the 2nd, definately dont think he's the full back soluition at this point. Dont think we can play harte-ricey-phily as the half back line either. Gormley still isnt performing at his best. Packie made a brilliant penalty save. Mulgrew was just ok and dont think he'll start. Colm Cavanagh did rightly at half forward.

Farrandeelin

What were Mayo like? Not good by the sound of the Tyrone people on here.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tyrone Dreamer

Mayo were average. Full back struggled against Cavanagh. Midfield did quite well at times and Mayo won there fair share of ball there. Full forward line was dangerous with all 3 giving Tyrone plenty of problems.

glenullinabu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 13, 2008, 06:07:15 PM
Tommy McGuigan kicked 3 or 4 from play, a sideline ball and a few free's. I'll admit that he probably wouldnt be in my first 15 but on todays performance will be hard to drop him.

i dunno - i always liked the look of him - he has a bit of class

Tyrone Dreamer

Wouldnt argue with that. Just think at times he doesnt do enough and can take the wrong option. Had a very good game today.

Farrandeelin

QuoteFull back struggled against Cavanagh

Oh dear, same old story. If we had a good full-back line, anything could be possible in the Summer as I think the workrate that the rest of the team do is making up for the full-back line's deficiencies. However, we will have to trundle on with the leaking full-back linee for another while at least. I suppose the only positive to take from the league is that we aren't relegated and I suppose another plus could be that Johnno knows the full-back line needs major work. Whether he can do the work that is required is another thing.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dodo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 13, 2008, 06:46:23 PM
QuoteFull back struggled against Cavanagh

Oh dear, same old story. If we had a good full-back line, anything could be possible in the Summer as I think the workrate that the rest of the team do is making up for the full-back line's deficiencies. However, we will have to trundle on with the leaking full-back linee for another while at least. I suppose the only positive to take from the league is that we aren't relegated and I suppose another plus could be that Johnno knows the full-back line needs major work. Whether he can do the work that is required is another thing.

He knew the full back line was a major issue when he took over at the start of last year. That this can be seen as a positive is beyond me. I get your point that who he has tried out aren't the solution though.

phpearse

Signs of improvement for Tyrone in this outing. Very impressed by Brian McGuigan. Whilst not up to the full pace of the game his passing was superb. I would say the stats man could have had him with 15+ possessions with the bulk of his off loads finding their target. He has great hand speed and was able to avoid tackles and drop of nice little hand passes to men coming past. McGinley again put in a solid 70. His workrate is first class, up and down the field all day. Holmes was also good. Caught some clean ball but battled really well. When Tyrone had their spell either side of half time we won midfield well with good tackling and winning loose ball. Tyrone were 6 up at one stage in the 2nd half but allowed Mayo back into the game. The strong win helping Mayos cause. However we had chances to bury the game. A fisted effort by Colm Cavanagh was put wide as was a missed chance from play by Tommy McGuigan. We also had what I though was a penalty when the Mayo keeper blocked a shot by diving out with his feet. The game could have been put out of Mayos reach at that stage.

Overall an improved performance. Hopefuly with Mulligan back for June we'll have a few more options up front for the Down game.

tyssam5

Can a keeper gets penalised for a 'foot block', don't think I've ever seen that?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Didn't make the game today, but happy with that result: Mayo at home or away never easy opponents these times.

All in all, happy with the NFL as an exercise -- runs out given to all those who needed it, and whilst the toughest questions won't be asked, or answered, until the Championship comes, I believe MH did the best job that could have been reasonably expected given the prevailing circumstances.  Absolutely great to see Brian Mc Guigan last the full 70, and it would seem that his younger sibling responded promisingly to his elder's full participation -- bodes well, Tommy's growing capably into that role with every game.

Given those who are to, or who may, rejoin the fray yet, and the overall performances of those of the current squad, the summer of '08 isn't quite as dark as it might have appeared to be not so long ago, bring it on  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

Despite all the doom and gloom of last week, Tyrone still managed to win 3 out of the last 4 games at the business end of the league. I still think are fitness will improve considerably over the next 8 weeks and we can certainly mount a challenge for Ulster. Are 3 defeats in the league came on the road with weakened teams against the best teams in the division and each of the matches were close. Hopefully the forward division can be improved further with the return of Mugsy and Dooher (and who knows maybe even his club mate). Mickey will definately have to consider using Cavanagh at full forward based on his showing today. Him and Mugsy with McGuigan supplying the ball could be dangerous. Lets just hope McGuigan and Dooher etc can get 4 or 5 club games behind them now with no further problems. 

tyroneman

Was standing 10 or so feet away from Stevie O'Neill at the game today..................maybe what he saw will start to bring his appetite back, from what I hear he is missing the Tyrone set up already........................

Few points on the game:

1. Block looks very unfit - behind his man most of the day..................is something up?
2. Tommy deserves a half forward slot more than Mulgrew (anonymous today) at present
3. Holmes and McGinley will be roasted in MF come championship - Sean needs to be in there.
4. McCaul was fast but his catching was atrocious - 2 or 3 times he dropped an easy ball in that resulted in a Mayo score
5. Brian was a joy to watch again....................rolls royce of a player...................says it all when in the last minute of a tight game, Mayo bombing high ball in looking a goal.................who should pluck the ball from the sky and work it out, steady as a rock..........................Brian.................................
6. McGee way off pace too (as expected given his time out)
7. McCullogh poor today -let a lot of ball slip through his hands

Mayo were not bad though - some excellent passing, just not enough end product

Glad we got that Monkey off our backs too..............................