Tir Eoghain -v- Maigh Eo - Sunday 13th April

Started by ziggysego, April 06, 2008, 01:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nakata

Mayo certainly have the hoodoo over us in recent years, but I think we can secure a home win this weekend. That is the strongest team to line out this year. It will be a long 8 weeks to championship Sunday and I hope the forwards can receive the ammunition required to get the scores and some confidence. I didn't make it to Celtic Park, but my contact bemoaned midfield yet again. Hopefully Cavanagh will start to show some interest. 2 point victory predicted leaving all red hand fans optimistic at the final whistle.

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on April 11, 2008, 01:37:59 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 11, 2008, 10:43:44 AM

Was it Peter Solan ? A scoring machine. Got one of our goals in 1950 AI final. Scored 3 - 1 in the Connacht final 1951 v Galway in Tuam.
St. Jar won in 47 V Armagh, minus jones, with Solan a young sean Purcell and another Mayo legend Mick Flanagan who also goaled on 1950 final i think.

That's the man. You never hear of him yet he should be up there in the pantheon of household greats.

What do you mean I never heard of him? I just told you who I thought it might be ???

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on April 11, 2008, 01:50:58 PM

Was it Peter Solan ? A scoring machine. Got one of our goals in 1950 AI final. Scored 3 - 1 in the Connacht final 1951 v Galway in Tuam.
St. Jar won in 47 V Armagh, minus jones, with Solan a young sean Purcell and another Mayo legend Mick Flanagan who also goaled on 1950 final i think.

That's the man. You never hear of him yet he should be up there in the pantheon of household greats.

What do you mean I never heard of him? I just told you who I thought it might be ???

I'd say he means that one outside of Mayo nevver hears of him.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fuzzman

Jeeez lads I hope the players don't do the same as ye've done in this thread and let the Mayo lads swarm defense yis

I remember after the 2004 defeat, I was walking a wee girl home across the canal near The Barge wearing my Tyrone top
We met 4 Mayo lads and the starting messing swarming around us saying

Don't foul him lads but swarm, swarm
Yer wan didn't know what they were on about.

So do we think we're in for a better performance this week then,
Will be interesting to see how that forward line pans out.

Interesting that Justy is the only new lad left in the back line and how will McGee fair?
How's he playing for the Lough boys?

Will McCaul get a run out or I wonder is he injured?

Can we please get some Tyrone banter in here or are we all knackered after last weeks marathon thread

rrhf

No Mc Cauls not injured just cant get in.
This is one hell of a risk Mickey is taking with Mc Guigan.  I hope to God it works out. 

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 11, 2008, 01:56:18 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 11, 2008, 01:50:58 PM

I'd say he means that one outside of Mayo nevver hears of him.

Jaysus sorry O Neill for bitin the head off you there. I must have imagined a d at the end of the hear above  :-[ or maybe its specsavers for me.  Solan generally not one of the first half dozen names to crop up when that team of 50/51 is mentioned. But remember 2 of that team made the team of the Millenium, which says something about their quality and the impression the team in general made. Usually the names of fellas from that era that crop up most often are Sean Flanagan, Paddy prendergast, John Forde, Padraic Carney, Eamonnn Mongey, Tom Langan and Mick Flanagan who died tragically young.

ONeill

I don't think Justin'll start. McCaul might get his chance yet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Deal_Me_In

Think if everyone is fit, McCaul will get the nod at FB with Joe McMahon in MF along with Cananagh. Mugsy will definately come into the FF line at the expense of Cananagh Jr or Tommy depending on form and Mulgrew will be unfortunate to miss out at HF but with a fir Dooher and McGuigan back at 11, is Mulgrew going to be able to infleunce the game?

Tyrone Dreamer

If and its a big if Tyrone had a fully team, Mulgrew I think still has to prove that he should be one of the first 6. You could pick a forward line of Dooher, McGuigan, McGinley, McCullagh, C Cavanagh, Mulligan and it would be strong. The most obvious 1 for him to replace would be Cavanagh but I would be worried that we'd have 2 many playmakers (McGuigan,Mulgrew,McCullagh) and not enough dangermen. Has he proved that he's a better player than McCullagh? McCullagh always provides a target, is decent with the left footed free's and can take a score from play. Having said that I still think he has potential and even at this stage (he's only 22) could well deliver on it. In some ways to much was probably expected of him to soon.

rrhf

Could we not try Peter Donnelly at 3, Is there any more Mc Mahons,  Could Conor not do 3 and 6,  Did Enda not used to do full back?  surely to God theres someone else we could try at 3.  :P

Lets hope this team can now start to earn their stripes and give us something to cheer at in the championship?  Even for 1 or 2 games. 

Tyrone Dreamer

Aye we could try Peter Donnelly at 3. He played there against Mayo last year, think we restricted Mayo to 4 goals on that occasion. Donnelly is a decent player but not a county standard full back imo.

Aaron Boone

You can bet your life Peter Donnelly will get his usual run-out on Sunday. It'll be a toss-up between him and Mellon for the first sub.

Tyrone Dreamer

I'd say McCaul will get his chance some were along the line. Any time I've seen him he looks more comfortable on the front foot though which would suggest half back would be his best position but there's huge competition there.

ONeill

Boys I wouldn't be shocked to see Donnelly start at FB.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

I would. Did you here McMahon is injured or are you talking about for the championship?