Tir Eoghain -v- Maigh Eo - Sunday 13th April

Started by ziggysego, April 06, 2008, 01:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Jaysus ladz I leave ye for wan day and there's like 5 pages on K.McDonald

There's a match on Sunday that determines whether Tyrone get relegated or Not?

Are we gonna have another goal fest like last year or will this be a tight slog?

Will Mickey bite the bullet with Mulgrew and give McCaul a game?

Are they training twice a week again now?
Thought big sean looks to be in 2nd gear on Sat.
As a mate said to me there.
"There's no chance of them peaking too soon this year"
Maybe that's what Mickey is up to...
He's changed from winning every game they play ethos to lets wait til the summer and get by til then.

Farrandeelin

That's the way we do it Fuzzman, we tend to take over threads like this!! :D

PS, my own opinion on McDonald is that he is one of the greatest Mayo players ever. I don't know about bringing him back (to start) or not as he might slow the gameplan down. Mayo do have a very fast gameplan at the moment and if McDo came back he would probably want the ball to go through him. I do however think he should be part of the panel.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tyrone Dreamer

Looks like we're going to have to give the Mayo one's a bit of abuse to get them to talk about the game on Sunday.

In relation to the game I don't see it as a must win for us as I think we should be safe anyway and would be interested firstly in the performance (a win would be nice though). Would like to see a number of changes which involves trying the existing players in different positions and giving the guys who haven't got many games a run out. It wouldnt be close to our strongest team but something like this would be interesting:
P McConnell
C Gormley
D McCaul
M McGee
R McMenamin
C Gourley
PJ Quinn
R Mellon (hasnt got many chances left - this is were he played his best football in a Tyrone shirt)
Justy McMahon
M Penrose
T McGuigan
S Cavanagh
C McCullagh
E McGinley
C Cavanagh

Realistically there'll only be limited changes from Sunday. Keeper will definately change and Id be shocked if he doesnt try something different in the full forward line. Id say he'll have to consider giving game time to Gourley,McCaul and C Cavanagh.

Fuzzman

What hair styles are Mayo forwards going for this season?

I believe dread locks are back

dodo

It's difficult to separate these 2 counties when it comes to hairstyles. Do you go for the Willie Joe look or the Plunkett Donaghy/Bonnie Tyler blowdry experience. Of more recent vintage would you rather the Blondie Mayo twins or maybe their Tír Eoghain cousin Owen Mulligan. For me the man for all seasons would still be number one, the folically challenged Peter Canavan.

ONeill

I was reading about some Mayo boyo who played for Tuam in the '46 Hogan final against Iggy Jones' Armagh side. What was his name - apparently one of Mayo's greatest ?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

1. Pascal McConnell   An Baile Nua
2. Ryan McMenamin   An Droim Mhór
3. Justin McMahon   An Omaigh
4. Michael McGee   Loch Mhic Ruairí
5. Davy Harte   Aireagal Chiaráin
6. Conor Gormley   An Charraig Mhór
7. Philip Jordan   An Mhaigh
8. Colin Holmes   Na Clairsigh
9. Sean Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
10. Raymond Mulgrew   An Chorra Chriochach
11. Brian McGuigan   Ard Bó
12. Enda McGinley   Aireagal Chiaráin
13. Colm McCullagh   An Droim Mhór
14. Colm Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
15. Tommy McGuigan   Ard Bó

ONeill

That's our A* side of who's available. Like it a lot.

dodo

Quote from: ONeill on April 10, 2008, 08:10:10 PM
1. Pascal McConnell   An Baile Nua
2. Ryan McMenamin   An Droim Mhór
3. Justin McMahon   An Omaigh
4. Michael McGee   Loch Mhic Ruairí
5. Davy Harte   Aireagal Chiaráin
6. Conor Gormley   An Charraig Mhór
7. Philip Jordan   An Mhaigh
8. Colin Holmes   Na Clairsigh
9. Sean Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
10. Raymond Mulgrew   An Chorra Chriochach
11. Brian McGuigan   Ard Bó
12. Enda McGinley   Aireagal Chiaráin
13. Colm McCullagh   An Droim Mhór
14. Colm Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
15. Tommy McGuigan   Ard Bó

I take it this is going to be Brian McGuigan's first start for Tyrone since his horrific injuries.

ONeill

It is indeed. I find that quite remarkable on so many fronts, and still feel slightly uneasy about it but I trust Mickey doesn't take such decisions lightly.

That, for me, is the best defensive formation and players we have in Tyrone, in fact from 1-9. The half forwards are there or thereabouts with only Dooher to challenge for a starting position. The full forward line has potential. Mulligan will be the only challenger.

On Sunday, we'll have a fair idea as to how far Tyrone can go this year.

Tyrone Dreamer

Although I was looking changes Im very happy with that team. Really great to see Brian McGuigan back at 11 on a Tyrone team and should add a bit of interest to the game. Cant expect to much from him on his 1st start but if he is fit (and injury clear) he probably needs game time ahead of the championship. I wonder is his ankle problems as bad as has been made out on here, surely he himself and the Tyrone set up wouldnt be taking any major risks to get him back for a meaningless league game?

Its the strongest team we have named this year but still think the forward line would be improved significantly with the return of a fit Dooher and Mugsy and not sure if Holmes has the mobility at this stage to start midfield come championship. Im glad to see Cavanagh at full forward as he should be a better ball winner than we've had in recent weeks. Tommy McGuigan has to prove ahead of the championship that he can perform for 70 minutes in a Tyrone jersey, so far he has only showed glimpses of his potential and tends to shoot from anywere rather than lay the ball of to a team mate. Sunday should answer a few questions about our potential later in the year.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 10, 2008, 08:48:35 PM
I wonder is his ankle problems as bad as has been made out on here, surely he himself and the Tyrone set up wouldnt be taking any major risks to get him back for a meaningless league game?

Although not doubting the Ardboe lads on here Im finding it difficult to tally what they suggest about Brian's fitness and him being named as a starter for this game :-\. I really hope the ankle problem has been overstated and that he's fit to go, cant believe (and seriously hope not) that his fitness would be jeopardised if he and the management werent 100% satisfiied.

As for the team it looks on paper pretty strong. If (and its a huge if given Tyrone's problems in the last 2 years) you take that starting 15 and add to it a fit Mulligan, Dooher and Joe McMahon then you have a potentially formidable outfit.

Tyrone Dreamer

With that team named and the fact that it is the last game of the league I think a good performance and probably a victory is quite important to give the team a bit of confidence entering the championship. Would expect Gormley to play at centre half back in this match. As Ive said we cant expect to much from McGuigan on his first start (the most important thing is he gets through the game with no injuries) and Id say he'll do well to last past the 45-50 minute mark.

ONeill

1. David Clarke (D. Ó Cléirigh) - Beal an Átha

2. Keith Higgins (C. Ó hUiginn) - Béal Átha hAmhnais

3. Kieran Conroy (C. Ó Conraí) - Sruthair-Gleann Coirib

4. Colm Boyle (C. Ó Baoill) - Na Daibhéidigh

5. David Heaney (D. Ó hÉanaigh) – Beal Átha na Muice

6. Trevor Howley (T. Ó hUallaigh) - Cnoc Mór

7. Tom Cunniffe (T. Mac Connuibh) - Caisléan an Bharraigh

8. Ronan McGarrity (R. MacFheartaigh) - Beal an Átha

9. Tom Parsons (T. Mac an Phearsúin) - Baile an Chathail

10. James Gill (S. Mac Giolla) - Cathair na Mart

11. Alan Dillon (A. Diolún) - Baile an Tobair

12. Aidan Campbell (A. Mac Cathmhaoil) - Béal Átha na Muice

13. Conor Mortimer (C. Ó Muireartaigh) - Sruthair-Gleann Coirib

14. Austin O'Malley (A. Ó Máille) - Cluain Cearbhan

15. Andy Moran (A. Ó Moráin) - Bealach an Doirin

ONeill

Agree with TD. Given that Mayo side, I can see Tyrone lining out as selected in defence. Ricey v Mortimer would be a tasty duel. O'Malley will provide McMahon with the type of opponent he's going to face all year.