Liatroim v An Dún

Started by Down Gael, April 04, 2008, 12:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhFeckRef

QuoteWhat the f**k were ye at? I know Sligonian insulted ye but theres no need losing to Leitrim to get us back.

:D :D :D ;D

Just back from LM.  Jesus this league is an emotional roller-coaster. Highs like today and Sligo, Lows like Longford and Wexford.
Great display today, some brilliant freetaking from Mulligan, Classic Mick McGuinness and McKeon, Reynolds  defending. Another top forward in their pocket. Ford last week, Coulter this week! 

Trying to figure out why Mulligan was substituted in the second half, was he injured? Left us very vulnerable in the end. Great to see some new thinking in forward selection. Give some of these younger players a chance and they'll come good. Stick Maxwell back in there and we could have an interesting team.

Would like to see midfield playing for all 70 mins. The drifted out of the game in the start of the second half.

To quote Bertie, "A lot done, more to do" before the championship. A lot of mistakes today. Too many aimless ball's into forwards who find themselves isolated without support players. For all the hard work we were hanging on by a point in the end. We had chances to pull clear but didn't take them.
Having said that, Down had chances too!

As BigJohnBrown said, it's all in Leitrims hands now. A result in Limerick would be just the tonic going into the championship in a few weeks time.
Here's to an interesting summer.

Old Bill

in fariness down shud be beatin leitrim out the gate.  typical down always shooting themselves in the foot.  were many of the under21s used? 

western exile

Congratulations to Leitrim on getting the win.  But they were handed it by Down.  Their goal with about 10 minutes left was a gift.  A very poor pass by a Down defender was intercepted by Leitrim and next thing we knew it was in the back of the net. That unforced error cost Down the game as Leitrim only won by 1 point.  Poor passing, especially from the foot into the forwards, was a pattern of Down play the whole  match. I know the weather conditions were poor, but still...  But I disagree with earlier poster re Liam Doyle as he was one of the few Down players who made accurate passes and get himself into good defensive positions on many occasions.
Throughout the game, Down tried to play with a 3 man midfield and a 2 man full forward line with Dan Gordan wearing 14 but playing as the third midfielder. This strategy clearly failed and needs to be rethought by the management. And it was very disappointing to see Down return to hoofing the ball into Benny Coulter as the only tactic of attack, especially after the forwards working so well as unit in other games this year. Declan Rooney and Ambrose Rodgers were poor in midfield. Declan getting a red card, and Ambrose proving that he is not yet ready for this level. And Gary McArdle was finally caught out at full back, so perhaps that position has not been resolved yet.  At the other end of the field John McKeon showed how a great full back should play. If he was playing for a division 1 team, instead of Leitrim, he would be a household name.
Both teams played to a Division 3 standard, and it looks like that is where they both will be again next year. It is especially disappointing for Down as they have played better in earlier games this year.

Over the Bar

lol.  Bate by Leitrim.  Down's impressive record of 5 wins from 5 senior all-ireland appearances seems intact for a lonnggg time!    ;D :P ;)

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: Old Bill on April 06, 2008, 09:28:44 PM
in fariness down shud be beatin leitrim out the gate.  typical down always shooting themselves in the foot.  were many of the under21s used? 

Jesus, it's comments like this that make me mad - Leitirm are not a sh*t team and don't deserve a comment like that. Cop on to yourself with your delusions of grandeur.  It was a quiet crowd getting into their cars from Down after all the pre-match car park banter about blowing Leitrim out of the park. 

No body comes to Páirc Sean and leaves without a huge fright or better still without points. -  Ask anyone who has visited over the last 4 to 5 years in particular.

Our main downfall is that we don't travel particularly well - we need to change that for our next game at the other end of the Shannon.

Down Gael

In fairness, I was at the game yesterday. Leitrim are SHITE, that doesnt say a lot for Down I know, but that is a very poor Leitrim side. As a Down man, we can only hope that the current U21 side mature pretty fast, because we really only have 2 or 3 decent players, but Leitrim and the referee only managed a one point win against very disappointing Down side.
Verdict= Leitrim are indeed shite.

Tubberman

QuoteIn fairness, I was at the game yesterday. Leitrim are SHITE, that doesnt say a lot for Down I know, but that is a very poor Leitrim side. As a Down man, we can only hope that the current U21 side mature pretty fast, because we really only have 2 or 3 decent players, but Leitrim and the referee only managed a one point win against very disappointing Down side.

What a tosser you are. You come across as very bitter just because your inflated sense of Down's worth has been shot down. Leitrim are a decent hardworking team, and has been said before, they are extremely hard to beat in Carrick.
Mayo went there in 06 and were very lucky to leave with a 1 point win. That team went on to reach the All-Ireland final, so less of YOUR SHITE out of you, good lad
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Leo

Quote from: Down Gael on April 07, 2008, 11:07:26 AM
In fairness, I was at the game yesterday. Leitrim are SHITE, that doesnt say a lot for Down I know, but that is a very poor Leitrim side. As a Down man, we can only hope that the current U21 side mature pretty fast, because we really only have 2 or 3 decent players, but Leitrim and the referee only managed a one point win against very disappointing Down side.

Can understand the anger and frustration, Down Gael, but misdirected at Leitrim.

We were SH*TE and have been for some time.
Fierce tame altogether

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: Down Gael on April 07, 2008, 11:07:26 AM

Nice response Down Gael - really showing yourself up............  :D

magpie seanie

Don't talk about respect ye Leitrim crowd. Where was the respect for the Connacht champions and a truly great player when he was unjustifiably sent off against ye? Applause for the diving cheat who conned the referee when he got substituted. Ye know nothing about respect or being sporting so give it a rest.

Down Gael

Look lads, you can dress it up whatever way you want, but Leitrim are a poor side. As has been said to me in a pm, you wouldnt grow spuds on their field and they drag teams down to their level. Leitrim played to the referee yesterday, especially when they got their goal. People talk about Tyrone diving, Tyrone have nothing on these boys. There was 4 minutes of added time announced yesterday, it could have been 4 hours. Lets not dress this up in fancy language, you can say they are a poor team all you want. I think they are sh*te.
I havent got todays Irish News yet, I`ll get it at lunchtime, but if the referee doesnt get Man of the Match, I`ll be shocked.
Sadly that defeat leaves us in Division 3 for another year. A combination of a poor attitude on our behalf, a Connaught spud field, a Connaught ref and the Connaught diving champions all went against us yesterday, but in truth we only have ourselves to blame.
I am not looking to excuse Downs performance yesterday, it was the worst of the year. Leitrim are still a crap team.

End of rant.

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 07, 2008, 11:55:29 AM
Don't talk about respect ye Leitrim crowd. Where was the respect for the Connacht champions and a truly great player when he was unjustifiably sent off against ye? Applause for the diving cheat who conned the referee when he got substituted. Ye know nothing about respect or being sporting so give it a rest.

B*ollox - clear strike to the Leitrim  players face - only for a camera angle that wasn't clear O Hara would have got the full sentence and it would have been justified.  You're biased in this and previous posts. Anyway most of the booing was by Sligo and I'm not surprised with his track record.  The title has gone to ye're heads and obviously so with results to date.

And as for you Down Gael - your attitude speaks for itself.

amallon

Any Down supporters blaming the referee are dilusional I'm afraid. There were a couple of dodgy ones which went against us but you got to expect that playing away from home.  Down's inability to do the simple thing when in possission cost us.  Paying Garryowens in on top of our full forward line is never the answer.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

SLIGONIAN

Seanie in all seriousness you are the biggest hypocrite on this board. You absolutely loaded abuse at me when I rightly complained at the abuse DOWN fans gave OHARA when he got sent off even though you werent at the game. Now your coming on here having a go at the leitrim fans for doing the exact same thing, O hara got alot more abuse in Down i might add and here you are sticking up for them. Double standards indeed.

Leitrim fans seanie speaks for himself and does not represent the view of most sligo gaels. Well done on yer win yday.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

BigJohnBrowne

Fair comments Sligonian - you're a decent sort, you're presenting things as they are without any blinkers blinding you.  More stuff like this will only make this a better board unlike some of the rubbish typed today.