Boyne banned for 16 weeks

Started by Oriel Man, April 02, 2008, 10:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Old Bill on April 02, 2008, 05:20:51 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 02, 2008, 04:37:16 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2008, 04:35:20 PM
They are two players. Those things unfortunately happen in matches.
This man is just an eejit who sits on his arse and writes down scores etc. To me, that is the same as supporter attacking a player.

Toal was a player on the day was he? My mistake so...I thought he was a 'Maor uisce'

There is a huge difference - you're right.
no toal was a maor uisce that day.  he never played for armagh again as far as i know after the 2005 ulster final.

Thats what I thought.

I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.

rrhf

I think this fella should never be allowed inside the wire again?

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on April 02, 2008, 05:57:48 PM

Toal? You're right - he coulda seriously injured Galvin that day.

his holiness nb

Quote from: feetofflames on April 02, 2008, 11:33:58 AM
I find this a very light punishment and the Dublin county board should be really rapped over this.

Why the county board?

Did they not co-operate fully?

Argue against the leniency of the supsension by all means but the county board surely cant be held accountable?
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: rrhf on April 02, 2008, 05:57:48 PM
Thanks god there is no wire in Parnell or Croke park  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

Quote from: heffo on April 02, 2008, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2008, 04:04:05 PM
Boyne obviously shouldn't have been anywhere near Freeman at that time. That said though, it mustn't have been much of a headbutt if it didn't even draw blood.

Both of them put their heads against one another (like you see in Soccer) and Boyne pushed Freeman away with his head - Freeman was fine then went down after he realised the ref or linesmen hadn't seen it (like you see in soccer). He was fine about a minute later and shook hands all around him.

Boyne shouldn't have done what he did, it was madness, but four months is fair. Dublin could have not named him and drag it out and possibly get off, but they didn't..
It doesn't take long for the revisionists to besmirch Boyne's headbutt prowess.
If there was a picture sure you'd only say the picture makes it looks worse  ;D
Considering you did not witness it, that's a very definite account.

Non contact was hardly worth Pillar and Boyne travelling uninvited all the way up to Monaghan to apologise for and Boyne unreservedly admitting the headbutt or violently "pushing away with the head" to the CCCC.

4 months seems light but maybe for Boyne this was totally out of character and he deserved leniency.
But it looks like he will be out for all of Dublins championship season.

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on April 02, 2008, 07:51:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 02, 2008, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2008, 04:04:05 PM
Boyne obviously shouldn't have been anywhere near Freeman at that time. That said though, it mustn't have been much of a headbutt if it didn't even draw blood.

Both of them put their heads against one another (like you see in Soccer) and Boyne pushed Freeman away with his head - Freeman was fine then went down after he realised the ref or linesmen hadn't seen it (like you see in soccer). He was fine about a minute later and shook hands all around him.

Boyne shouldn't have done what he did, it was madness, but four months is fair. Dublin could have not named him and drag it out and possibly get off, but they didn't..
It doesn't take long for the revisionists to besmirch Boyne's headbutt prowess.
If there was a picture sure you'd only say the picture makes it looks worse  ;D
Considering you did not witness it, that's a very definite account.

Non contact was hardly worth Pillar and Boyne travelling uninvited all the way up to Monaghan to apologise for and Boyne unreservedly admitting the headbutt or violently "pushing away with the head" to the CCCC.

4 months seems light but maybe for Boyne this was totally out of character and he deserved leniency.
But it looks like he will be out for all of Dublins championship season.

I didn't witness it, nor evidently did you. I've been told by people who's judgement I trust and were in the church end, that that is exactly what happened.

Was there a mark on Freemans face? Did he suffer any injury? Was there any blood?

Boyne got his four months, it's a fair cop.

tyronefan

I don't think the point is how hard he headbutted him but the fact that he was somewhere he shouldn't have been and even attempted to hit a player on the field. Mayo county board got a €5000 fine for some idiot in the stands throwing something at a player and if they found out who the person was threatened a lifetime ban from all grounds.

heffo

Quote from: tyronefan on April 02, 2008, 08:38:54 PM
I don't think the point is how hard he headbutted him but the fact that he was somewhere he shouldn't have been and even attempted to hit a player on the field. Mayo county board got a €5000 fine for some idiot in the stands throwing something at a player and if they found out who the person was threatened a lifetime ban from all grounds.

I'm not disagreeing with that - he was completely wrong to do what he did.

I'm putting it into context of John Toal coming onto the pitch as a Maor Uisce and baiting the head of Paul Galvin and theres barely a murmer, yet there are people calling for a lifetime ban for Ray Boyne...

tyronefan

I'm putting it into context of John Toal coming onto the pitch as a Maor Uisce and baiting the head of Paul Galvin and theres barely a murmer, yet there are people calling for a lifetime ban for Ray Boyne...

don't agree with a lifetime ban for what he did but 16 weeks is fairly light

heffo

Quote from: tyronefan on April 02, 2008, 09:05:21 PM

don't agree with a lifetime ban for what he did but 16 weeks is fairly light

What ban (if any) would you have given John Toal?

tyronefan

a 48 week ban for these type of offences (anyone other than the players coming on to the field and striking or attempting to strike any of the players) is not unreasonable

Jell 0 Biafra

48 weeks!  He only headbutted him; he didn't ride him.

tyronefan

A 96-week suspension has been imposed on a club footballer in Kildare after he allegedly head-butted a referee during a recent club match

As I said  48 week suspension  not unreasonable

heffo

Under what rule would you suspend someone officially involved in a team for 48 weeks though?

Different story 'interfering' with a ref..