Boyne banned for 16 weeks

Started by Oriel Man, April 02, 2008, 10:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oriel Man

From Hoganstand.com
Boyne banned for 16 weeks
02 April 2008

Dublin stats man Ray Boyne has been suspended for 16 weeks for allegedly head-butting Monaghan forward Tommy Freeman.

Boyne was identified by the Dublin county board as the person involved in the controversial incident at the end of the stormy NFL clash on March 23 in Parnell Park, and subsequently travelled to Monaghan to personally apologise to the All-Star corner forward.

Croke Park's Central Competitions Control Committee chairman Jimmy Dunne said: "We offered Boyne a personal hearing but he did not want one and he accepted our decision without question.

"He said he was guilty and was prepared to accept his punishment."

As a Monaghan man, i say Fair play to the Dublin county board and Ray Boyne.
After all the confusion this brings decent closure to the issue.

Obviously it was an unfortunate incident that never should have happened, but the way he travelled to Monaghan for a personal apology and subsequently taking his punishment like a man (unlike a few footballers last year) does make up to some degree.

If get the impression that Ray Boyne is a decent man that got caught up in the heat of the battle.
Hopefully all counties can learn from this when it comes to squad preparation/training camps. Intensity on the field can easily spill over into assault (both on an off the field!!).

AZOffaly

It should be the accepted norm in our games that you take your punishment like a man, especially if you're guilty. Instead of which we have lads looking for loopholes left right and centre. It's sad, but in that climate it's refreshing to see someone stand up and take the rap, like the Meath lads last year, so fair play to Boyne for that.

*in no way does the above comment condone or excuse the headbutt itself. That is simply out of bounds for any game, and it is a disgusting thing for an official to do. However, Boyne's actions since then show that he probably agrees with all of that himself.

Uladh

Of course this type of suspenson will have zero effect on his capacity to do his job on match day within the dublin setup

corn02

Can't agree with your fair play to Ray Boyne comment. Getting caught up in the heat of the battle is no excuse for headbutting a player. 16 weeks a bit light?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Uladh on April 02, 2008, 10:58:00 AM
Of course this type of suspenson will have zero effect on his capacity to do his job on match day within the dublin setup

It's all that's available to the GAA. They can't bring him out the back and shoot him.

corn02

dubinhell

Quote from: Uladh on April 02, 2008, 10:58:00 AM

How can he do his job on matchday if he's suspended??

corn02

I believe it was a touch line ban, making his job just as easy.

Maximus Marillius

What makes the Ray Boyne thing all the more interesting is the fact he has a very prominent role in banking withing Dublin...a big player in the banking game. I will  not spell it out to ya....but if your sharp at all  he would have had a few sleepless nights over how this

Uladh

Thanks for not spelling that out max. i  know well who he is as i assume most people do.

Why can he not be shot? he is a dub after all?

His role involves sitting in the stand taking and analysing stats. a touchline ban will have no impact on this. we all have sleepness nights at some stage or other but i don't think that is punishment enough for our actions, should they be out of line. star should have told the disciplinary committee he was having sleepness nights and he might have gt off?

I appreciate there is probably little else the GAA can do but it's another reminder for when they eventually get round to reviewing the rules.

Is there not the facility to suspend people form GAA grounds? i think there is

AZOffaly

As far as I recall, at least a while ago, a suspension meant you were technically not even allowed attend matches! Of course that's not very practical, and was completely ignored. As you say, with a statistician it's not going to make much difference unless Dublin themselves tell him to cease those activities for the duration. As for a touchline ban for a statistician, it's arguable as to whether he should be there at all anyway. He's hardly going to roar, 'COME ON WHELO, YOU'RE MISPLACING 27.3% OF YOUR PASSES'

heffo

He was completely wrong to enter onto the pitch and do what he - it doesn't matter that it was only 2 or 3 feet.

A four month ban for doing what he did is fair - it wasn't a headbutt like you'd see outside of Supermacs on a saturday night.

Have a look at this clip about 1min 22 secs in - I can't find any outrage over this, even though the individual in question was throwing haymakers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9zKnLv2hM8

feetofflames

I find this a very light punishment and the Dublin county board should be really rapped over this.  they think they can tr**p over anyone and anything.  the fella was guilty and didnt take his punishment  - he was given it,  because he needed it, a disgusting incident.  I can think of multiple incidents wher clubmen and even players have stepped out of line and been suspended for much longer.  
Chief Wiggum

Main Street

'Dublin stats man Ray Boyne has been suspended for 16 weeks for allegedly head-butting Monaghan forward Tommy Freeman'

Is an "alleged head butt" an offense that carries a suspension?

Uladh

we call it throwin shapes in armagh