Donegal V Laois

Started by J70, April 01, 2008, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Interesting game this in Ballyshannon on Sunday - I'd say there should be some decent football played. By all accounts it was a rather poor and lacklustre performance from our boys on Sunday in Tyrone, so we'll hopefully see a response this weekend. With McFadden contained by Gormley, we had little available in the way of taking scores, and apparently missed a number of relatively easy opportunities towards the end (although Tyrone did also).

Don't know much about the Laois men this year, except that they only have one point to date. Judging by the table, their problems are in defence, where they're conceding an average of more than 16 points per game (goals included) and scoring just over 13. We're scoring and allowing 12.5, which I suppose is no great shakes either. However, hopefully McFadden will find a bit more freedom this week and get us the two points we need to be safe. Apparently Devenney is on the way back, but I don't know if he'll be available for any league games. Not sure if its not time to move on though, as its been a long time since Devenney put good performances back-to-back in tough championship matches. No doubt he isn't helped by our possession game, but the lad is 31 now.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Agree it'll be a tough year for Devenney, age isn't on his side.
Regarding Laois, without being too cocky, I think we should win this one handy enough at home, putting us on 8 points and in a great position for the semis - although would another league run be the best thing for the team, would prefer them to put 110% into the Anglo-Celt and Sam this year.
Tbc....

doirebhoy

there is no league semis, top 2 in final

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Noel Garvan out for Laois (will miss the rest of the league campaign), with Tom Kelly poss coming back into the team from retirement - what do the Laois men out there think?
Tbc....

AZOffaly

I thought it was Padraig Clancy that was out?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Just reading Setanta sports headlines, he's recovering from an ankle injury.
Tbc....

AZOffaly

From Hogan Stand. Setanta must have their big awkward Laois hoors mixed up :D

Clancy blow for Laois
Laois midfielder Padraig Clancy
03 April 2008

Laois' hopes of surviving the drop to Division 2 of the NFL have been dealt a potentially fatal blow with the news that midfielder Padraig Clancy has been ruled out for a month because of ankle ligament damage.

The Timahoe man went over on his ankle on Tuesday night and will miss the O'Moore County's remaining NFL games against Donegal and Kildare. And with Noel Garvan and Donal Miller also sidelined at the moment, Laois manager Liam Kearns has a midfield crisis on his hands ahead of Sunday's must-win game in Ballyshannon.

With just one point from five games, Kearns acknowledges that Laois are odds-on to be relegated.

"It's very difficult at this stage," he said. "We have to win the last two matches and even at that, we are way behind in scoring averages.

"And I would argue that it's been a good year. We've been building a team in this division and although we've not been getting results, we've run every team we have played close."

J70

Apparently Adrian Sweeney, Michael Murphy and Barry Dunnion have rejoined the squad, in addition to Devenney.

A few more scoring option I suppose, although Murphy is still obviously very young and Devenney and Eddie are getting on a bit.

What about Barry Dunnion though? Frank McGlynn has been doing well and will be hard to shift, while I don't think moving Cassidy back to midfield is a great option. Can't imagine a player of Dunnion's quality not being first choice though.

J70

Donegal team:

1. Paul Durcan
2. Karl Lacey
3. Néil Mc Gee
4. Paddy Mc Daid
5. Frank Mc Glynn
6. Éamonn Mc Gee
7. Kevin Cassidy ( Capt)
8. Kevin Rafferty
9. Rory Kavanagh
10. Christy Toye
11. Michael Hegarty
12. Ciaran Bonner
13. Leon Thompson
14. Colm Mc Fadden
15. David Walsh

Neil Gallagher is out injured, so that balances Laois's missing midfielder. Ciaran Bonner back in the side as well instead of Roper, while Leon Thompson starts for the first time a year in place of Ryan Bradley.

ExiledGael

Interesting game this as I and others have perhaps underestimated Laois. They haven't been going too badly despite losing but home advantage should tell here I'd say, only just.
Was wondering lately about McConigley? How is that serious eye injury affecting him now? Is he part of the panel still?

J70

McConigley is (or at least was) back in the squad. I think he appeared in one of the games as a sub this year (can't remember if it was McKenna cup or the league). If he makes it back into the serious reckoning at senior county level after losing the sight in one eye, you have to give him a lot of credit.

Tyrone Dreamer

Donegal would definately need to improve on last Sunday to avoid a shock here. Laois seem to have got pretty close in most matches this year, although they seem to be conceeding to much. Against Tyrone they converted the majprity of their chances, with Tierney being deadly from frees. Was very dissapointed with Donegal last weekend, they didnt seem that interested but that may be as a result of them trying to avoid burn out like last year. If conditions are good it should be high scoring, and only for Clancy being out would nearly predict a shock away win.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 04, 2008, 11:31:29 PM
Donegal would definately need to improve on last Sunday to avoid a shock here. Laois seem to have got pretty close in most matches this year, although they seem to be conceeding to much. Against Tyrone they converted the majprity of their chances, with Tierney being deadly from frees. Was very dissapointed with Donegal last weekend, they didnt seem that interested but that may be as a result of them trying to avoid burn out like last year. If conditions are good it should be high scoring, and only for Clancy being out would nearly predict a shock away win.

Going on last weeks game, neither team would be challengers for Sam, but I think that McIver is being sensible and looking to the Kerry system, use the league to hone your team for the championship, with a fully fit team, I believe Tír Conaill could go all the way this year! (then again I say that every year!)
Tbc....

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2008, 02:14:18 PM
From Hogan Stand. Setanta must have their big awkward Laois hoors mixed up :D

Clancy blow for Laois
Laois midfielder Padraig Clancy
03 April 2008

Laois' hopes of surviving the drop to Division 2 of the NFL have been dealt a potentially fatal blow with the news that midfielder Padraig Clancy has been ruled out for a month because of ankle ligament damage.

The Timahoe man went over on his ankle on Tuesday night and will miss the O'Moore County's remaining NFL games against Donegal and Kildare. And with Noel Garvan and Donal Miller also sidelined at the moment, Laois manager Liam Kearns has a midfield crisis on his hands ahead of Sunday's must-win game in Ballyshannon.

With just one point from five games, Kearns acknowledges that Laois are odds-on to be relegated.

"It's very difficult at this stage," he said. "We have to win the last two matches and even at that, we are way behind in scoring averages.

"And I would argue that it's been a good year. We've been building a team in this division and although we've not been getting results, we've run every team we have played close."

They may be big and awkward but its still been a long time since the Biffos put one over on us.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 04, 2008, 11:55:24 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 04, 2008, 11:31:29 PM

Going on last weeks game, neither team would be challengers for Sam, but I think that McIver is being sensible and looking to the Kerry system, use the league to hone your team for the championship, with a fully fit team, I believe Tír Conaill could go all the way this year! (then again I say that every year!)

Did you not learn last year?!!  ;D

I agree with Tyrone Dreamer. I'm a bit uneasy about this game and I hope the boys are up for it. If they're not, they'll lose. Apparently Laois gave Kerry a good game last week, while they also drew with Mayo. And let's not forget we lost to what appears to be a very poor Kildare team.