GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: orangeman on April 15, 2008, 11:30:33 PMJesus, I can't wait for all these unionists to join the GAA clubs - sure it'll be great to have the riot squad sitting outside the ground on a Sunday !!

Aye because 4 dickheads really represent the whole of Unionism.  ::)

screenexile

Quote from: orangeman on April 15, 2008, 11:30:33 PM
Trouble flares at Linfield match 

Scuffles broke out at the Setanta Cup match
Six people have been arrested at Linfield's match in Dublin against St Pat's Athletic following a number of crowd trouble incidents.

Gardai said the arrests were connected to isolated incidents at the Setanta Cup match, which Linfield lost 2-0.

Four of those arrested come from Northern Ireland while two are from the Republic. Gardai said minor scuffles broke out at the ground in Inchicore.

Dog units, mounted officers and gardai brought the trouble under control.

Linfield chairman Jim Kerr said he "utterly condemned" the behaviour and added that "the name of Linfield Football Club had been dragged through the gutter".

"Some fans with far too much to drink had tickets that were not sold to them and I don't know where they got those tickets and whether they were forged or genuine.

"Alcohol was the problem and there were people here who were spoiling for a fight.

"Some people whom I have never seen at Windsor Park were being aggressive towards fellow supporters, safety officers and the Garda.

"Should we continue in the Setanta Cup next season, we will have to look at transporting our supporters from Windsor Park and make sure they get to the ground without incident. There will be no unorganised travel.

"Everything will be organised by the club but we will have to look seriously at whether we will continue in the Setanta Cup because I don't want the name of Linfield being dragged through the gutter as it has been tonight."

The Setanta Cup is an All-Ireland football tournament, which is contested by four clubs from both sides of the border.

It is in its fourth year and Linfield have played in the competition on each occasion, winning the event in its inaugural year and losing in the final last year.

Jesus, I can't wait for all these unionists to join the GAA clubs - sure it'll be great to have the riot squad sitting outside the ground on a Sunday !!

What's trouble at a soccer at a soccer match caused by a few sc**bag supporters got to do with encouraging Unionists to play our games. Come on orangeman it's being discussed on the Non GAA and has no relevance in this debate!

lynchbhoy

This story is irrelevent Orangeman, but...

firstly the aggression would not be normal behaviour against GAA folks
but the mindset would be in that same area.

Unionism doesnt want to embrace multi culturalism or inclusionism with the 'faces not normally seen' before at soccer matches indicative of this.

In the same moving goalposts manner of the dup's requests for ceasefire, concessions,decommissioning, disbandment, photographs ...etc etc
the unionists will not be placated unless the clubs changed names, the rules were changed, the clubs played soccer as well (if not just only soccer) , change jersey colours - nothing green etc etc

in short, there are fellas who are ok in unionist circles (I presume) but will never (never never) join the GAA in this lifetime irrespective of what concessions, rule or name changes are made (though will mischeviously request this to be done)
because of their upbringing and associating GAA with everything they despise (although will not be able to give any decent reason why if asked).
you are wasting your time lads.
Time will overcome all this though.
Whats the rush to pander to anybody. Things are going well enough there now (apart from policing and violence around NI).
Give it time and space.

GalwayBayBoy

I definitely think the GAA should be doing more to reach out to all minorities on the island. Not just unionists.

However in the case of unionists I wonder would it have any impact whatsoever. From a reading of OWC there is a palpable and visceral hatred of the GAA from many there (check out the "GAA reach out" thread amongst many examples) . I don't believe reaching out would cause a road to Damascus style conversion for many on that site. However it I guess it must be remembered that there are many moderates around too who may be interested.

Maguire01

But how representative is OWC of Unionism in general?  Not very, i'd guess. Even if it is, it would be acceptable to reach out to a 'small minority' of unionists who would be more open to the idea of the GAA.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 16, 2008, 01:16:23 PM
in short, there are fellas who are ok in unionist circles (I presume)
That says a lot.  Mainly that you don't really know too many 'Unionists' = part of the problem? (Yes, i know, part of the bigger picture, not just the GAA argument.)

In the same moving goalposts manner of the dup's requests for ceasefire, concessions,decommissioning, disbandment, photographs ...etc etc
the unionists will not be placated unless the clubs changed names, the rules were changed, the clubs played soccer as well (if not just only soccer) , change jersey colours - nothing green etc etc
Yes, but no-one is saying that everything needs to be changed.  Most people recognise that many unionsts would never bring themselves to play/become involved with GAA;  they're not the people we should be reaching out to or trying to appease.
Oh, and as for the 'jersey colours - nothing green' - i take it that's tongue in cheek (given OWC's green army!).

And yes, as has been said, the story posted by Orangemen is totally irrelevent - whether it was posted in error (i.e. not understanding the lack of relevance) or to try and undermine the argument for reaching out to unionists (none of which would fall into the category of those at the centre of that story).

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 16, 2008, 05:58:08 PM
But how representative is OWC of Unionism in general?  Not very, i'd guess. Even if it is, it would be acceptable to reach out to a 'small minority' of unionists who would be more open to the idea of the GAA.

in short, there are fellas who are ok in unionist circles (I presume)
That says a lot.  Mainly that you don't really know too many 'Unionists' = part of the problem? (Yes, i know, part of the bigger picture, not just the GAA argument.)

Yes, but no-one is saying that everything needs to be changed.  Most people recognise that many unionsts would never bring themselves to play/become involved with GAA;  they're not the people we should be reaching out to or trying to appease.
Oh, and as for the 'jersey colours - nothing green' - i take it that's tongue in cheek (given OWC's green army!).

And yes, as has been said, the story posted by Orangemen is totally irrelevent - whether it was posted in error (i.e. not understanding the lack of relevance) or to try and undermine the argument for reaching out to unionists (none of which would fall into the category of those at the centre of that story).

I am not the problem, people like me are not the problem, the GAA itself is not the problem,
the problem is that unionists and unionism wont allow itself to join because of its perceptions.
There will have to be a watering down of things to pander to them to get them to join currently, so why bother when they will be happy to join in after a few short years and the current old colonial mindset is no longer in the ascendancy.

the hypocricy is that although they have no problem with the colour green for their soccer team, as soon as its green when GAA related - it then becomes an object of scorn and indeed hatred.

You are wasting your time rationalising for a majority of people who dont want to be included.

Wait for a while and it will all become much easier - esp when a suitable time has passed so they can ditch their mock abhorrence and 'wee daftie' type excuses.

I'd train them now myself if there was a team of them to train. However tehre isnt and wont be for a while, so relax until then!
:)

thejuice

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 16, 2008, 04:19:13 PM
I definitely think the GAA should be doing more to reach out to all minorities on the island.

this is whats most important if you ask me. GAA is all about community and there are people on the margins of our communitiies who are finding hard to get involved and intigrated. HOw about some GAA announcements of activities in Chinese, Polish, Arabic etc. I see there is a World Soccer League in Dublin for different communities and cultures, I'd like to see a GAA equilivant. I really dont think the GAA is doing enough on this, sure theres the one or two who get involved but thats through passive recruitment.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

This story is irrelevent Orangeman, but...

firstly the aggression would not be normal behaviour against GAA folks
but the mindset would be in that same area.

Unionism doesnt want to embrace multi culturalism or inclusionism with the 'faces not normally seen' before at soccer matches indicative of this.

in short, there are fellas who are ok in unionist circles (I presume) but will never (never never) join the GAA in this lifetime irrespective of what concessions, rule or name changes are made (though will mischeviously request this to be done)
because of their upbringing and associating GAA with everything they despise (although will not be able to give any decent reason why if asked).
you are wasting your time lads.
Time will overcome all this though.
Whats the rush to pander to anybody. Things are going well enough there now (apart from policing and violence around NI).
Give it time and space.

Totally agree so just forget about them - I've said it before and I'll say it again - let them join if they want - if they don't ( which they don't ) , forget about them and stop this constant going on about how we can acommodate them more etc etc - let them play hurling / gaelic football in the protestant schools first.

SammyG

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 16, 2008, 04:19:13 PMFrom a reading of OWC there is a palpable and visceral hatred of the GAA from many there
Don't want to drag this thread off track but that's a fairly serious allegation. Can you let me have some examples of this 'palpable and visceral hatred'?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SammyG on April 17, 2008, 05:00:19 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 16, 2008, 04:19:13 PMFrom a reading of OWC there is a palpable and visceral hatred of the GAA from many there
Don't want to drag this thread off track but that's a fairly serious allegation. Can you let me have some examples of this 'palpable and visceral hatred'?

QuoteAlways looked at it as sport and support that's drenched in hard-line republicanism

QuoteSo I don't really think the GAA will ever change and I know many a decent catholic that would not support it

QuoteChange? Clean it out, start again, I say disband the GAA.

QuoteAm I alone in saying that I don't ever want anything to do with the gaa-gaa?

QuoteBesides, if...and it's a bloody big if...they dragged themselves into the 19th century (never mind the 21st) rewrote their rule book and, as a result, completely neutralised their whole rancid, cancer-ridden, organisation

QuoteIn the end, perhaps we should be glad that the GAA is failing utterly in any attempt it makes to "reach out".

QuoteThey are as British as our land when they want our British Pound and as dirty as a rats when they have it.

QuoteThe GAA, in its present ( and probably permanent) sectarian, bigoted mode should be challenged at every opportunity.

I got tired picking quotes out at that point and that's just from one thread.

Donagh

Ach now Sammy that's not a fair challenge considering the most vitriolic threads on OWC are now hidden to us Fenians - is that not so?

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on April 17, 2008, 05:26:42 PM

Ach now Sammy that's not a fair challenge considering the most vitriolic threads on OWC are now hidden to us Fenians - is that not so?

GAA is discussed in the Other Sports thread which is open to all (as you well know).

SammyG

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 17, 2008, 05:23:53 PM
Interesting that not one of those quotes mention hating the GAA, in any way. Would it not have been easier to just say, no and save yourself the cutting and pasting?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SammyG on April 17, 2008, 05:34:19 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 17, 2008, 05:23:53 PM
Interesting that not one of those quotes mention hating the GAA, in any way. Would it not have been easier to just say, no and save yourself the cutting and pasting?

It actually wouldn't be as bad if they just came out and said they hated the GAA.

Instead we get people using language like "cancer ridden", "rancid" and "rats". Unacceptable stuff or at least it should be.

I don't know how else language like that can be interpreted. And as I said that's only one single thread. I've seen just as bad if not worse in others down through the years.

However we are getting off the point a little here.