GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 07, 2008, 10:38:54 AM
I would agree with most of that Lynchboy but i am not sure the board will still exist in 5-10 years  :D :D. I think what most of us are overlooking is the fact that no one has dissalowed Unionists from entering the GAA. The debate has probably run it's course and we are starting to repeat issues. Plus there were very little village idiots posting on the thread which always helps.

Agreed !  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

his holiness nb

Just a quick point guys, if we are going to make concessions to Unionists it had better be all or nothing. Dont forget they see the men of 1916 as terrorists. So if we arent going to rename every single trophy, stadium and club ever named after a republic then they will always have an excuse to be excluded.

I wish this wasnt true, but from what I have read from our Unionist posters on here, I have no doubt about this.

So Sam Maguire, Croke park, every Wolfe Tones club, among hundreds of other examples will need to be consigned to the history books if we are to "reach out" to them.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 07, 2008, 01:50:20 PM
Just a quick point guys, if we are going to make concessions to Unionists it had better be all or nothing. Dont forget they see the men of 1916 as terrorists. So if we arent going to rename every single trophy, stadium and club ever named after a republic then they will always have an excuse to be excluded.

I wish this wasnt true, but from what I have read from our Unionist posters on here, I have no doubt about this.

So Sam Maguire, Croke park, every Wolfe Tones club, among hundreds of other examples will need to be consigned to the history books if we are to "reach out" to them.

Let them play thier games and we'll play ours - besides that everyone is welcome to play gaelic and I'm sure we can go play rugby if we want to.
So what's the problem ?

thejuice

Well, like what was said about the schools, without going around taking down flags, removing anthems and stripping names from trophies, clubs and competitions, is there any other things that can be done to "reach out".

I think some kind of joint initiative by the 3 main sports bodies the GAA, Ulster Rugby and the IFA about community relations and perhaps get-together of sorts. A fun camp for people to go out and try different sports and just try have the craic on a sporting level. Wishful thinking perhaps, but might work.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

passedit

Quote from: orangeman on April 07, 2008, 02:35:37 PM
It ain't broke so don't fix it !

You were looking for not an inch quotes orangeman.

No one is asking the GAA to bend over backwards and why should we wait for attitudes to change, we should be proactive not reactive.

What's wrong with going back to the original wording in the preamble? Other than it being seen as giving an inch. Also i've said it before and i'll say it again, the de facto situation on many gaa grounds in the north is that the flag has never been flown and the anthem rarely played. so why not word the rules so that the flags and anthems are at the discretion of the host club?

As for changing unionist attitudes, my own club has recently been approached to participate in a joint coaching initiative with the local rugby club (under the auspices of the One Small Step campaign) and there are GAA coaches in a number of state schools in North Down. Should we turn our backs on these people or should we offer an olive branch that doesnt compromise the principles of the organisation?
Don't Panic

orangeman

Quote from: passedit on April 07, 2008, 03:12:26 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 07, 2008, 02:35:37 PM
It ain't broke so don't fix it !

You were looking for not an inch quotes orangeman.

No one is asking the GAA to bend over backwards and why should we wait for attitudes to change, we should be proactive not reactive.

What's wrong with going back to the original wording in the preamble? Other than it being seen as giving an inch. Also i've said it before and i'll say it again, the de facto situation on many gaa grounds in the north is that the flag has never been flown and the anthem rarely played. so why not word the rules so that the flags and anthems are at the discretion of the host club?

As for changing unionist attitudes, my own club has recently been approached to participate in a joint coaching initiative with the local rugby club (under the auspices of the One Small Step campaign) and there are GAA coaches in a number of state schools in North Down. Should we turn our backs on these people or should we offer an olive branch that doesnt compromise the principles of the organisation?

Typical North Down attitude where you never were exposed to any of the troubles ad you're all members of the Alliance Party  !!  ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: passedit on April 07, 2008, 03:12:26 PM
What's wrong with going back to the original wording in the preamble?

Not being smart but were there many Unionists playing our games when the original wording was in place?
Ask me holy bollix

passedit

Quote from: orangeman on April 07, 2008, 03:15:41 PM
Typical North Down attitude where you never were exposed to any of the troubles ad you're all members of the Alliance Party  !!  ;)

I hope you're joking Orangeman

QuoteNot being smart but were there many Unionists playing our games when the original wording was in place?

your point?
Don't Panic

orangeman

Quote from: passedit on April 07, 2008, 04:40:18 PM

QuoteNot being smart but were there many Unionists playing our games when the original wording was in place?

your point?

Only joking Passedit !  ;) But a joke with a wee jag !  ;) ;D

his holiness nb

your point?

My point is, this thread is about "reaching out" to Unionists, in a way that will encourage them to play our games.

I just think that reverting to the old wording wont make a difference in this regard as they didnt play then either.

Ask me holy bollix

winsamsoon

No one is turning their backs on anyone here passedit . They games are there for Unionists to play it is only themselves stopping them from participating, certainly nothing to do with the GAA. As his holiness has stated changing the issues mentioned would lead to a complete overall of the GAA right througout Ireland It. The names of everything would have to be changed.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

passedit

Quote from: orangeman on April 07, 2008, 05:16:32 PM

your point?

Only joking Passedit !  ;) But a joke with a wee jag !  ;) ;D

So you weren't joking then. I'll take the Biff's advice in future then.

HH I think you'll find that the ban was a greater impediment to any unionists playing pre 71 than any other rule.

Winsam I would be strongly against imposing renaming on any clubs. Clubs should have discretion to call themselves what they like.
Don't Panic

orangeman

Maybe more unionists will play now that the players are actually getting paid to play ??????:D

orangeman

Trouble flares at Linfield match 

Scuffles broke out at the Setanta Cup match
Six people have been arrested at Linfield's match in Dublin against St Pat's Athletic following a number of crowd trouble incidents.

Gardai said the arrests were connected to isolated incidents at the Setanta Cup match, which Linfield lost 2-0.

Four of those arrested come from Northern Ireland while two are from the Republic. Gardai said minor scuffles broke out at the ground in Inchicore.

Dog units, mounted officers and gardai brought the trouble under control.

Linfield chairman Jim Kerr said he "utterly condemned" the behaviour and added that "the name of Linfield Football Club had been dragged through the gutter".

"Some fans with far too much to drink had tickets that were not sold to them and I don't know where they got those tickets and whether they were forged or genuine.

"Alcohol was the problem and there were people here who were spoiling for a fight.

"Some people whom I have never seen at Windsor Park were being aggressive towards fellow supporters, safety officers and the Garda.

"Should we continue in the Setanta Cup next season, we will have to look at transporting our supporters from Windsor Park and make sure they get to the ground without incident. There will be no unorganised travel.

"Everything will be organised by the club but we will have to look seriously at whether we will continue in the Setanta Cup because I don't want the name of Linfield being dragged through the gutter as it has been tonight."

The Setanta Cup is an All-Ireland football tournament, which is contested by four clubs from both sides of the border.

It is in its fourth year and Linfield have played in the competition on each occasion, winning the event in its inaugural year and losing in the final last year.

Jesus, I can't wait for all these unionists to join the GAA clubs - sure it'll be great to have the riot squad sitting outside the ground on a Sunday !!