Injury advice please

Started by Model Hammer, April 01, 2008, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Hammer

Lads, have any of you cracked a rib in the recent past? How long was it before you could resume training/playing? 6 weeks, two months, worse?

Ta.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Model Hammer on April 01, 2008, 11:18:32 AM
Lads, have any of you cracked a rib in the recent past? How long was it before you could resume training/playing? 6 weeks, two months, worse?

Ta.

You could do non contact training after a couple of weeks but its probably 4-6 weeks for playing (generally closer to 6).

themanwhowasntthere

Got hit in the chest with a hurling ball many years ago on a Saturday night during a game. Played on OK. Lined out again on the Tuesday night & knew I was in a bad way when I got hit early on with a shoulder. Straight to casualty, cracked rib diagnosed. Think I was out for a month or so. Rib injury can be dangerous, as there would be a danger of damage to the lungs, as far as I was told. So, take it easy for a while, I'd say.

Ga

Lads just when we're on the subject of injuries.Broke wrist playing club about 6weeks ago.Just out of cast.Did a small bit of jogging and minor stuff with ball at training but have little or no movement in wrist.Any ideas how long it should take to be back playing competitively.was hoping to be back within three weeks.Is this possible.Obviously i will be getting physio to redeem full movement however would anyone have any other suggestions on what exercises etc to do to get back that wee bit quicker and is it safe to be doing bit of training(non contact) when the cast is only off a day??

Ta

magpie seanie

Ga - smashed my little finger a few years ago and had a cast for a while which weakened the wrist quite a bit. When I went back playing I wore a fairly tight fitting wrist support which I found to be a great help until the power returned. Worth bearing in mind when you go back playing - you'll be amazed how more confident it will make you.

donegal gael

regarding that wrist injury. you will need to regain the strength in it before you attempt to play again. those hand grip devices are excellent for the wrist. so are streess balls where you would squeeze it as hard as you can and hold for three seconds and repeat 10 times. you would need to do this fairly reguarly each day.

liihb

Anyone ever do the A/C joint? Been out for 3 weeks so far.....
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: liihb on April 02, 2008, 01:11:42 PM
Anyone ever do the A/C joint? Been out for 3 weeks so far.....

All depends on the extent of the a/c joint injury and also the amount of physico rehab you get...anything from 2 weeks to 3 months....the onus is on you to get to a good physico and follow the rehab programme religiously

The Claw

Agree with what Max says there. Strengthening the muscles around it is what is key. I did mine in the middle of January, still bothers me if i don't warm up properly and especially in the gym. It still affects me when i benchpress. How long is this going to last do you know max?

Ga

Cheers Lads Appreciate the advice Re wrist Injury. As regards time scale, am i fooling myself thinking i will be back playing competitively in three weeks. Physio's have said three weeks plus after cast however has anyone who has experienced this injury got back within three weeks. I intend to followphsio's exercises rigerously.

liihb

QuoteAgree with what Max says there. Strengthening the muscles around it is what is key. I did mine in the middle of January, still bothers me if i don't warm up properly and especially in the gym. It still affects me when i benchpress. How long is this going to last do you know max?

Are you back playing though? and if you are, are you strapping it?

Have started physio, was pretty sore after the first session, not ready for training but I am allowed get back to do some light jogging, as long as I don't do any hard running, suppose won't really be right until I get back playing and have that first hit on it.....
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

The Claw

Oh been back a good while with it, i was out for about three weeks id say. I didnt strap it. I was wary of it but taking a hit on it wasnt sore at all. The only time it hurt at the start was in the tackle, if someone was running by my arm or something or if I was going up for a high ball. (Lifting your arm is such a killer with it!). Now it does effect me in a match at all. But it hasn't gone away. It can still be sore if we do press ups without warming it up properly. Just afraid it will always be like that because it happened in January.