MAUGH TAN GONE ???

Started by Rossfan, March 31, 2008, 10:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I wasn't a fan of his but I read Keith Duggan's book and I feel some sympathy for the man and his ideals after that. 'House of Pain' painted a fairly objective picture of a manager's lot and Maughan never moved in manage a side that was on top of its form, to put things mildly.
Mayo, Clare, Fermanagh and now Roscommon is quite a list of unhappy campers!
Roscommon county affairs had been in turmoil for years prior to Maughan's arrival.
I doubt if his departure will solve all the sheepstealers' problem either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Barney on April 01, 2008, 07:59:38 AM
While in Castlebar Maughan is welcomed home for getting the job "done".

:D

Indeed, and his work with Ros won't go unappreciated in the rest of the province either, pity it's not an April Fools joke!

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 01, 2008, 11:16:19 AM
I doubt if his departure will solve all the sheepstealers' problem either.

No we won't be competitive at senior for a number of years but if it protects the younger players from burnout then it's a good thing. I was shocked to read Maughan in one of the Mayo papers saying how he'd be at the U.21 game on Saturday to make sure all the young players would take ice baths and be ready for the must win senior match the following day. Their weekend should have ended on that positive note as they prepared to face Mayo in the Connacht final just over a week later. But no, Maughan had to throw them into a nighmare scenario the following day.  If that wasn't bad enough, then we had to watch two of the best U.21 forwards man the half back line. Maughan went wrong the day he got rid of players like Curran - we haven't had a goalie that can execute a decent kickout since - and alienated some of our best backs like John Whyte and John Rodgers. I wish John Maughan the best of luck. What he did with Clare and Mayo was tremendous and was the man who restored a lot of pride to Connacht football in the dark years. But his style of football (the short game) was not suited to Ros football and he and his selectors decision to throw in so many of the younger players in at this level was plain wrong. They were going in the wrong direction and for the sake of the future this had to end now.

highorlow

Tommy Carr was on at luchtime in Maughtans defense.

One credit you have to give JM is that he is good at the spindoctoring. Tommy reckoned that the Ross fans were OTT at the weekend and that the County Board and the Players were fully behind JM.

It must have been the 8 players that showed up for training last week that he was referring too?

At the End of the day its always easy to blame the Manager and in particular when he is from your neighbouring county and one that has had midly greater success.

The writing had to be on the wall when the likes of Frankie was brought back into the squad.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

neilthemac

whereas the fellas Maughan really needed in the squad were solid, experienced players: Mixer Ryan, John Whyte, John Rodgers, Paul Noone to name but a few

but he got rid of all the auld heads as he knew the U21s were coming through this year

you cannot leave out good players in a county like Roscommon where the pick is very small in the first place

Ryano

I hear that Paul Early will be John Maughan's replacement. No word yet who his selectors will be.

Anyone know why Stolensheep is down? Sheepstealers all over again????

AZOffaly

What will Setanta do if Paul Early takes over? Would he not have a contract with them?

orangeman

Perhaps the under 21's can bring success in the future with the AI winning minor management ? Muaghan didn't have the material and perhaps the players weren't up to the strict Maughan style - Tom Carr found this out as well.

Ryano

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2008, 05:30:53 PM
What will Setanta do if Paul Early takes over? Would he not have a contract with them?

Not sure AZ. I heard this from someone within Setanta sports so unless he is pulling a belated Aprils fools jobbie then there must be something to it.

heineken_on_tap

Assume Early would be the interim replacement Ryano - while they find someone else? Has he any mangerial experience at all?

Ryano

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on April 01, 2008, 05:50:51 PM
Assume Early would be the interim replacement Ryano - while they find someone else? Has he any mangerial experience at all?

Thats what i'm wondering too, has he managed a club in Dublin at some stage?? If not then it seems a very strange appointment as all he has managed up to now is a bank!

Will have to wait for an official announcement.

ludermor

Quote from: Ryano on April 01, 2008, 05:53:21 PM
[
Thats what i'm wondering too, has he managed a club in Dublin at some stage?? If not then it seems a very strange appointment as all he has managed up to now is a bank!

Will have to wait for an official announcement.

he will get some shock when he sees roscommons finances

dodo

Earley managed Cellbridge in Kildare a few years back. They were division 2 at the time and favourites to go up. Haven't heard anything else about him until I saw him on Setanta.
He has a way more natural tan that the tanned one !
On RTE news that the Roscommon players have issued a statement thanking Maughan and his backroom team  for their efforts.

spectator

Quote from: highorlow on April 01, 2008, 04:21:32 PM
Tommy Carr was on at luchtime in Maughtans defense.

One credit you have to give JM is that he is good at the spindoctoring. Tommy reckoned that the Ross fans were OTT at the weekend and that the County Board and the Players were fully behind JM.

It's natural enough that Tommy Carr should defend JM, as they are brothers-in-law after all.

When JM wielded the axe at the start of his Ros managerial stint, many within Ros drew their own conclusions whilst reflecting on the the poor onfield performances & behaviour of some senior players that lead to TC walking.

To give JM his dues, he came in at a time when things were in turmoil & certainly brought discipline to the setup, removing some strong characters from the dressingroom in the process. He was always going to live or die by that action & unfortunately, it transpired he couldn't get results without the more experienced players.

I think he should be remembered in Ros for the remedial diciplinary action he took though. It was an unpopular job but someone had to do it.

If the culture of discipline he introduced prevails & fosters an environment conducive to developing good football teams, it could turn out to be a very worthwhile achievement indeed.

neilthemac

was there even ONE PLAYER's name to that statement?

no

that was a county board statement on behalf of the players