Interview Presentation - Tips?

Started by Treasurer, March 31, 2008, 04:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treasurer

Have to do a five minute presentation at an interview about the job on offer.  Any bright ideas or do's/don'ts ye can fire at me?

Orior

1) Have a start, middle and end
2) Keep to a max of 5 bullet points per slide with 6-8 words max per bullet
3) Include a "wow!" slide
4) Dont read the slides
5) Know your audience and sell, sell, sell
6) Include an objective slide
7) Wear the little black number, with stillettos
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

themanwhowasntthere

Might be wiser to disregard number 7 - they might dock you a few points for being a tranny.

Puckoon

When giving a presentation treas - we were always told to do the following

1. Tell them what you are going to tell them
2. Tell them
3. Tell them what you just told them.

Definitely dont read the slides - and make your talk memorable for all the right reasons.

If you have a cert for the horses, it wouldnt hurt to throw that in either ;)

screenexile

What topic is the presentation on? What kind of interview is it? Do you have powerpoint available?

My top tips would be for any generic presentation would be:

1. Be Confident
2. Know your subject inside out for questioning
3. If possible talk from your head, of course plan what you will say but reading from detailed notes or cue cards can be a real turn off
4. Use powerpoint if possible. Even if an electronic projector isn't available prepare your presentation on powerpoint and print them on acetates if you only have an overhead projector.
5. When using powerpoint do not over elaborate your presentation. Use a simple background and a simple animation to bring up the points on the screen... anything else distracts the listener from your presentation.
6. Make eye contat if possible, if not keep your head up and fixed on a point at the back of the room.
7. Be enthusiastic about your subject as it helps keep the listener engaged.

lynchbhoy

start - tell them what you are going to talk about
middle - talk about the job and give bullet point examples of how the experience matches up with the requirements

end - sum up what has been spoken about and why you are perfect for the job and what you can bring into their organisation for the future. Mention good ideas of technology/procedure etc but dont expand on it. If they ask, dont tell them, say you will go into more detail if you are hired!

Rem , you will be nervous, but they dont know you from adam and as long as you have memorised the jist of what you want to say, you will be fine. They wont notice stammers etc- they will half expect it. Say you are nervous and this makes most people give allowences.
dont be a smart erse. Be professional, dont swear, dont get too friendly or jokey.

best of luck

Puckoon

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2008, 04:51:48 PM

Rem , you will be nervous, but they dont know you from adam

If you are up against him - you are a shoo in.

ziggysego

Breath easy and talk slowly.

Have prompt cards with you, to ensure you cover all the topics.

Practice the presentation several times with your other-half.

Don't go over board with graphic and whizzy things on the presentation, can be off putting.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on March 31, 2008, 05:20:28 PM
Breath easy and talk slowly.

Have prompt cards with you, to ensure you cover all the topics.
Practice the presentation several times with your other-half.

Don't go over board with graphic and whizzy things on the presentation, can be off putting.

NO NO NO ZIG!

Square Ball

Ensure that the audience have understood the message, ask if they have and see if they have any questions before moving on, this ensures understanding of the topic and lets the audience know you are thinking of their needs
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

heganboy

treasurer, if it doesn't put you in an awkward spot, can you give us a bit of a steer? I was an interviewer more than 50 times last year, if you can give me a broad sense of the position and i have any experience I'd be happy to help or at least try.
a few points that seem to generally apply:
The interviewer wants to fell confidence that if they recommend you for the job they're not going to look like an ass if you fail.
Its always a good idea to tell your interviewer that you appreciate them taking time out of their busy day to be here for an interview whether its true or not.
Introducing yourself and putting it in context of the job that you are their for showing how comfortable you are with the responsibilities of the position and showing that you are personable and can work well in a team right off the bat will ease the next 5 minutes.
Try not to speak down to the interviewer(s), in fact something self-deprecating upfront is another good way to make everyone in the room comfortable.
Remember if you don't look like you believe your story, no-one else is likely to.
I wouldn't go with the cards
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

pintsofguinness

Quote from: themanwhowasntthere on March 31, 2008, 04:49:34 PM
Might be wiser to disregard number 7 - they might dock you a few points for being a tranny.

Considering treasurer is a woman I'd say she might get away with it.

Personally I'd tell them I wasn't participating in such bullshit!

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Nothing. I wouldnt hire someone who turned up to an interview with prompt cards. :'(

ziggysego

Quote from: Puckoon on March 31, 2008, 08:33:56 PM
Nothing. I wouldnt hire someone who turned up to an interview with prompt cards. :'(

Well now, I wasn't talking about just prompt cards. Jeezs.
Testing Accessibility