Maigh Eo v Gaillimh

Started by Duine Eile, March 31, 2008, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Have to take issue with a number of things.

1. In 2001 the ball was lost 30 yards from the Roscommon goal there were plenty of players to stop the onslaught. Nobody did - the blame does rest on one man.

2. Same against Donegal Kilcoyne dropped the ball short to the goalie - they had to make their way up the field to score.

3. Ros are you schizophrenic - just can't figure you out.

4. Liam O'Malley is not good enough to play in our sub-standard defence. Can't remember him shining for Mayo once.

5. Galway have learned the way to beat us. Yesterday the answers were there as to how we can change our own team to play Galway. If we beat Sligo the test of the management will be how they answer those questions.

6. Even though we are not winning games in the league I think it has been a positive exercise for us. Our season really begins and ends with the Connacht Championship. Negative I know but a Connacht title and the bedding of some of the young lads is a realistic aim. Achieve that and we can set the bar higher.

moysider

Posted by: Barney
Insert Quote
Have to take issue with a number of things.

1. In 2001 the ball was lost 30 yards from the Roscommon goal there were plenty of players to stop the onslaught. Nobody did - the blame does rest on one man.

2. Same against Donegal Kilcoyne dropped the ball short to the goalie - they had to make their way up the field to score.

When a game is in the melting pot and you re holding a slender lead you hold onto possession and kill it dead, preferably by scoring again and if not by trying to score again but sending it wide .You then regroup and attack the kick out if there is another one. You do not kick the ball into goalies hands and you do not give it away 30 yards from the opposition goal. End of. Until we get a clinical approach to the end game of matches we ll be losing more close games. Possession is sacred and to turn it over soft in those circumstances is ridiculous. Your right, nobody stopped the onslaught and they did make it up the field to score. But they would nt have without the ball, and they should nt have had the ball in those instances. When a team is given possossion and counter attack anything is possible. Good teams and good players try to eliminate those chances by doing the right thing and finishing out the game clinically. Felt some sympathy yesterday for Clarke because he was trying to keep the ball by giving a short one. He was trying to do the right thing but he either miscued or PJ read it.

mayo51

barney i see you are defending your clubmate in 2001 .still think kilcoyne is taking alot of unfair abuse over his miscue against donegal as he had won a 40/60 ball on the wing before that and obviously trying to kill the ball dead.i think when fit that he is our best option for half forward as he has plenty of pace and dash and can score from distance

moysider

QUOTE  FROM MAYO 51                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        'still think kilcoyne is taking alot of unfair abuse over his miscue against donegal '

I hope my remarks on this issue in various posts have not been interpeted as abuse. I just pointed out a mistake he made that I feel cost us 2 league points or was largely responsible for it anyway. Whether it s fair or unfair it does not constitute abuse.
As regards his suitability for the half-forward line I dealt with that in a previous post.

ludermor

i know what your trying to  say moy but i dont agree with it. you are blaming kilcoyne for loosing the donegal plain and simple. that isnt fair. The ball had to go the lenght of the pitch for the next score.

Owenmoresider

Quoteauthor=MaroonAndWhite link=topic=7325.msg272809#msg272809 date=1207582135
And Mayo in the long grass come July  ;D
Erm, cou...

...oh never mind. :-[

moysider

Quote from: ludermor on April 07, 2008, 08:17:53 PM
i know what your trying to  say moy but i dont agree with it. you are blaming kilcoyne for loosing the donegal plain and simple. that isnt fair. The ball had to go the lenght of the pitch for the next score.

And the ball will go the length of the pitch sometimes if it s given away. And in future the lad will make sure it goes dead in similar circumstances. Management probably told him that too. Not sure fairness has anything got to do with it. Whether I m being fair or unfair I cannot see how what I posted can be labelled abuse.

mayo51

i was not referring to you moysider about the abuse.in fact tom parsons had possesion momentarily during that move which resulted in the donegal goal.you say that kilcoyne never has played well for mayo but are you not forgetting the games v. laois and dublin in 2006 when he came on as a sub and was very impressive

Farrandeelin

I have to agree with moysider on this one about times when games are in the melting pot. If there's any chance at all the game can be 'lost' i.e. the Donegal game etc kill the game. We could alternatively shift the blame onto the management that day as I thought Ausitn O'Malley was playing ok and they took him off.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on April 07, 2008, 06:19:27 PM

Liam O'Malley is not good enough to play in our sub-standard defence. Can't remember him shining for Mayo once.

O'Malley had a good game against Tyrone in the league in Castlebar two years ago. Think it was the final game of the league that year. Mayo always seem to finish their leagues against Tyrone lately.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: mannix on April 07, 2008, 09:36:19 AM

Mayo ... are becoming a pleasure to follow again because you cannot tell if the game is ever gone from them against anyone, they just keep going rather than give up and thats a sign of belief in themselves.

In fairness to recent Mayo teams, I don't think there have been many towels thrown in. I would find the experience more enjoyable if they stopped leaking so many goals, personally. But Mayo post - dare I say the name? - Maughan have shown more fight than they did in those horrible years at the start of the 'nineties. Or the 1987 Connacht Final. 1982 wasn't great. 1979. And the beat(ings) go on. :(

Loved your old TV show by the way. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa0_K2bVA_M

highorlow

QuoteLiam O'Malley is not good enough to play in our sub-standard defence       

What height is O'Malley ?

In relation to the "sub-standard" defense I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's well over a year now that posters on this board have been giving out about our defense. We have conceded 10 goals and 62 points in the league so far. That's not even connaught championship standard never mind AI.

The BJP experiment went on last year for too long and the Kilcullen experiment didn't last long even. Its hard to understand how we have never replaced Forde or Cahill in full back considering the pick available. We were in trouble against Leitrim last year in the FB line.

In saying that the time for further experimentation is prob over and Cuniffe, Conroy and Boyle will be throw in at the deep in come June.

QuoteOur season really begins and ends with the Connacht Championship. Negative I know but a Connacht title and the bedding of some of the young lads is a realistic aim. Achieve that and we can set the bar higher.         

That is probably the extent of what our ambition should be, i'm just hoping that we can do a 2004 over again ...... without Kerry in the final this time.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

bucko

Liam O'Malley is 5'11". He got TG4's man of the match for his performance in the tyrone game, he done a similar job keeping meehan to 1 point from play in the Galway game before that. Granted his form has dropped over the last 12 months, but like alot of the players who have been tried in the FB line he is a half back. Watching the match on sunday, Cunniffe is definintly not a corner back, he watches the play more than he watches his man. Natural tendancy for a centre half back, you watch and try to read the game. At corner back the emphasis is on man marking.