Maigh Eo v Gaillimh

Started by Duine Eile, March 31, 2008, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Ray Silke is the divil and all for ball hopping, but he's a fine GAA man through and through. He had guts enough to stand up to Matt Cooper on Today FM when Cooper was heavily promoting the opening of Croke Park as a great-day-for-Ireland, and Silke was saying the GAA should only promote its own. Fair play to him.

moysider

Smug enough by there by Ray as usual and who can blame him. Galway are flying and have to be the smart money later in Summer whatever about on Sunday. Noticed I m getting hammered here about Kilcoyne comments earlier. Nothing personal but I admit that I m not an admirer of his but it s not based on that 'garryowen' against Donegal alone. My judgement is that he should be a much more effective county player than he has ever shown with the attributes that he has as a player. Successive managers have invested a lot of time in this lad. He s coming 23 now and he s been a senior panelist for about 4 years. Time to deliver. Kevin O Neill had an All-Star way before that age and in 98 a similar aged MacDanger was cutting swathes through Galway in Castlebar. 22 is not a 'young player with potential anymore'. If he s ever to make it, it will probably as a corner forward where his dash can make him lethal. [ his pairing with Munnelly inside and playing off a target-man with O Neill outside was deadly for Knockmore a few years ago] Its probably not his fault that managers have seen him as a wing man and ball carrier [ a hangover from his underage/colleges days] as its a role he s not suited to at this level. Games have passed him by there. He s not combative enough to survive in Championship in the middle third of the field. I would not consider him in the top 5 or 6 applicants for the half forward line. I would have Trevor, Harte, Dillon, Gill, Campbell and Andy all before him. If I had to pick Andy and Kilcoyne on the same team i would play Andy at 12 and Kilcoyne at 15. Anyway the reason he did nt get a run against Kildare was injury. In the current pecking order he would have been the obvious one to bring on. Micky Mullins also carrying injury. If Benson was listed and fit and was nt brought on it shows what management thinks he has to offer and unlikely to figure in their plans later either.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on April 03, 2008, 04:53:50 PM
Smug enough by there by Ray as usual and who can blame him.

Can't say I noticed anything particularly smug in the article myself. The auld antennas must be up already in preparation for the Summer. ;D

moysider

Try reading the last line again Galwaybayboy. He s clearly saying that while Mayo may win on Sunday Sammon wont be too pushed because he knows Galway will win in July when it counts.  :)
Anyway Ray is a good bloke and worth reading if only to get annoyed sometimes.

mannix

omalley played  for louisburg not westport, its like ger canning saying the higgins clan is represented by aiden and keith.Get the facts right before printing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on April 03, 2008, 05:21:42 PM
Try reading the last line again Galwaybayboy. He s clearly saying that while Mayo may win on Sunday Sammon wont be too pushed because he knows Galway will win in July when it counts.  :)
Anyway Ray is a good bloke and worth reading if only to get annoyed sometimes.

I think he's just saying that they would prefer to win in the Summer than on Sunday given the choice. I don't think he's making a prediction.

Although given the amount of Mayo people in Galway who would get the Advertiser I'm sure he wouldn't be averse to a bit of ball hopping. :)

Barney

Moysider wouldn't agree with your opinion of Ray - awful footballer, and an even worse pundit.

Anyhow Harte in for Trevor is the only change for Mayo.

blast05

QuoteAustin is scoring well, leave him at it.Injuries have stopped him on a lot of occasions so maybe he can stay injury free and be a valuable piece of the puzzle.

Agreed, he seems to have injected a bit of pace into his game and has been beating corner backs on pace alone to win balls. Lets hope he stays injury free.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Barney on April 04, 2008, 08:06:55 AM
Moysider wouldn't agree with your opinion of Ray - awful footballer, and an even worse pundit.

Anyhow Harte in for Trevor is the only change for Mayo.
"awfull footballer" is very harsh Barney.  He was an average intercounty footballer who was deemed to have the leadership skills to captain his club and county to All Ireland titles in the same year! Johnno would not have entertained him if he was "awful".  As a pundit, he has his good and bad days like the majority of the rest of them.  Tohill is the benchmark for a pundit at the moment IMHO.

AbbeySider

Mayo GAA, Mayo team v Galway NFL Rd6 06.04.2008

1. David Clarke (D. Ó Cléirigh) - Beal an Átha

2. Tom Cunniffe (T. Mac Connuibh) - Caisléan an Bharraigh

3. Kieran Conroy (C. Ó Conraí) - Sruthair-Gleann Coirib

4. Colm Boyle (C. Ó Baoill) - Na Daibhéidigh

5. David Heaney (D. Ó hÉanaigh) – Beal Átha na Muice

6. Trevor Howley (T. Ó hUallaigh) - Cnoc Mór

7. Keith Higgins (C. Ó hUiginn) - Béal Átha hAmhnais

8. Ronan McGarrity (R. MacFheartaigh) - Beal an Átha

9. Tom Parsons (T. Mac an Phearsúin) - Baile an Chathail

10. James Gill (S. Mac Giolla) - Cathair na Mart

11. Alan Dillon (A. Diolún) - Baile an Tobair

12. Pat Harte (P. Ó hAirt) - Beal an Átha

13. Conor Mortimer (C. Ó Muireartaigh) - Sruthair-Gleann Coirib

14. Austin O'Malley (A. Ó Máille) - Cluain Cearbhan

15. Andy Moran (A. Ó Moráin) - Bealach an Doirin

AbbeySider

Quote from: blast05 on April 04, 2008, 08:28:30 AM
Austin... seems to have injected a bit of pace into his game and has been beating corner backs on pace alone to win balls. Lets hope he stays injury free.

Both Trev and AOM have had bad luck with injury's in recent times. I hope Trev comes back in time with his Ham String injury and I hope Austey can stay injury free this time.

Sometimes players slip into a revolving door type cycle of injurys;
just when they seem to be coming back to fitness after an injury, they get injured again! Partially because they are not fit and are trying to come back when they get hurt again. Austy and Trev have had bad luck like that it seems. On current form they are both needed if we are going anywhere.

Farrandeelin

I wonder will Heaney revert to no 6 when the match starts to mark Joyce?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 04, 2008, 02:13:42 PM
I wonder will Heaney revert to no 6 when the match starts to mark Joyce?

I think Moysider was right earlier when he said that there'd be no point in that. One of the purposes of blooding young fellas is to see how they get against the big guns, and there's no bigger gun than Padraic Joyce. Really looking forward to this game.

Lar Naparka

QuoteI wonder will Heaney revert to no 6 when the match starts to mark Joyce?

I doubt it very much. I think Howley is set for the no. 6 shirt for the championships.
Unless things go very pear-shaped, O'Mahony will try and keep the defence as they line out.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

There will be two aspects of Mayo s performance that I m going to be particularly interested in on Sunday.

1. Can our inside three forwards continue their good form against defenders familiar with their stile and tricks? If any backs look cut out for the job of quietening them Fitzgerald, Hanley and Burke do. e.g Burke has marked Conor before and Sammon coached him. They know him inside out at this stage.

2. Will our defence be able to cope individually and as a unit, and do so without wholesale switches being made to rescue fellas being skinned alive early on? If switches are necessary, obviously they must be made to try to win the game but it wont inspire confidence going forward.

If the answer to these two questions are positive then this may be more than another false dawn imo.