Doire -v- Tir Eoghain - 5th April 2008

Started by ziggysego, March 30, 2008, 04:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbat

Quote from: rrhf on April 02, 2008, 06:06:37 PM
Any other underperforming Moy men ye could slip in there? 

easy now betsy

Tyrones own

I'd agree with Fishbat, it def depends on where your from
  if your from around my neck of the woods, Derry is fairly meaningless TBH
  It is and always will be the Orchard Men ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

loughshore lad

Quote from: screenexile on April 02, 2008, 04:59:27 PM
However I think it is the younger generation who think Armagh are the main rival, they probably weren't around for the battle of Clones in 1995 and don't understand the deep hatred and vitriol that spewed from both sides as a crowd of Tyrone spoilers did a hatchet job on a talented Derry team which allowed Canavan to get a rare performance in to beat us.

Was that the day the "talented Derry team" buckled?? What about 96 when the same "Tyrone spoilers" hammered the same "talented Derry team" in the semi final of the ulster championship?

No doubt about it Tyrone-Derry is THE rivalry particularly round the loughshore. No county I despise more than the in bred neighbours.

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: screenexile on April 02, 2008, 04:59:27 PM
I dunno about the whole rivalry thing. Myself and all my Tyrone friends would all be of the opinion that Derry and Tyrone hate eachother the mostest in the whole wide world!

However I think it is the younger generation who think Armagh are the main rival, they probably weren't around for the battle of Clones in 1995 and don't understand the deep hatred and vitriol that spewed from both sides as a crowd of Tyrone spoilers did a hatchet job on a talented Derry team which allowed Canavan to get a rare performance in to beat us.

I suppose it's just that Tyrone are the most hated county in Ireland that means both Armagh and Derry have hatred for them. You aren't a nice people really and for some reason you all seem to have fat heads and like to argue a lot... just my opinion but I think most of my Derry and Armagh colleagues would agree! ;D ;D

:D :D :D Could NOT agree more!
In your Endo!

Zapatista

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 02, 2008, 04:50:54 PM

"We beat Derry with 13 men, Doo Daa Doo Daa Daay"

Fcuksake that's going to be stuck in my head all day >:(

For me it was always Derry too. Being on the border with Fermanagh there was never a big problem with rivalry from them. :-X

Oakleafer1993

tyrone girls where always easy  :o ...... hey maybe your dads from the oakleaf county........

face the backlash this weekend - we'll make ye feel at home - and bring your sister...........

screenexile

Quote from: Doire abĂș on April 02, 2008, 10:39:41 PM
As for last year's McKenna Cup game...

Tyrone 1-15 0-9 Derry
Paul Rouse (left) gets the ball away despite Kevin McCann's attentions
Paul Rouse (left) was among Tyrone's scorers at Healy Park
Tyrone's first-half blitz enabled them to comfortably defeat Derry in Sunday's Gaelic Life McKenna Cup clash at Omagh.

Red Hand boss Mickey Harte used UUJ squad players Colm Cavanagh, Brendan Boggs and Damien McCaul in the game, defying an Ulster Council directive.

Derry led 0-2 to 0-1 but Tyrone hit 10 unanswered points before Cathal McCarron's goal just before the break.

The Oak Leafers produced a mini-revival after the break but Tyrone were never in danger and won pulling up.

Early points from the Bradley brothers, Paddy and Eoin, gave Derry a promising start, but Tyrone were soon into their stride.

Midfielder Mickey Murphy hit three points, with Tommy McGuigan, Damien McDermott, Paul Rouse, Davy Harte and Colm Cavanagh also getting their names on the scoresheet.

Newcomers Damien McDermott and Cathal McCarron were also on target, and while Paddy Bradley pulled back a Derry point late in the half, but by that stage Tyrone had already racked up 11 scores.

The Red Hands hit the visitors with another blow in stoppage time when McCarron grabbed his goal from a rebound after Derry goalkeeper Shane O'Kane had failed to hold his initial shot.

Derry narrowed the gap with scores from Paddy and Eoin Bradley and Conleth Gilligan in the third quarter but McCarron's accuracy from frees kept Tyrone comfortably in front.

Tyrone scorers: C McCarron 1-3 (3 frees), M Murphy 0-3, T McGuigan, D McDermott 0-2 each, C Cavanagh, O Mulligan, D Harte, D Carin, P Rouse (free) 0-1 each.

Derry scorers: Paddy Bradley 0-5 (2 frees), E Bradley 0-2, C Gilligan, R McElhone 0-1 each.

Tyrone: P McConnell, D McCaul, C McGinley, P Marlow, D Harte, D Carlin, B Boggs, M Murphy, S Cavanagh, T McGuigan, O Mulligan, C Cavanagh, C McCarron, P Rouse, D McDermott. Subs: R Mellon for S Cavanagh, E McGinley for Murphy, N Gormley for McDermott, M Penrose for Harte.

Derry: S O'Kane, K McGuckin, K McCann, J Keenan, A McAlynn, F Doherty, L Hinphey, Patsy Bradley, J Conway, R McElhone, A McCartney, C Moran, C Gilligan, Paddy Bradley, E Bradley. Subs; K McCloy for Hinphey, P O'Hea for McAlynn, J Kelly for Moran, Paul Bradley for McCartan

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6261225.stm

Who's the K McCann?

I think that is Kevin McCann from Greenlough. Dodger I think his nickname is. He was a very good player Underage but I haven't seen much of him since.

nrico2006

QuoteDo most of ye feel Armagh have replaced Derry as the aul enemy or is it just that I used to know more Derry fans than Armagh fans.

I feel we could have a cracker game on Saturday night although there could be snow according to the forecast.
I think Tyrone will turn it on now that's it's officially Spring.

I'll never forget driving home from the match in Clones in 95 with another Tyrone lad and 2 Derry lads.
The tension was high after we'd sang for the 1st 10 miles
"We beat Derry with 13 men, Doo Daa Doo Daa"
"We beat Derry with 13 men, Doo Daa Doo Daa Daay"

Definitely Derry, but as mentioned its due to where you're from in the county.  I will never forget the game in 95, I was only about 12 but two things stand out:- The burger was rotten and the Derry fans slabbering and looking to start a riot because they were taught a lesson.  Was good craic as a few of my Da's brothers were with us and they are Derry men as they unfortunately live a few miles on the wrong side of the border out the longland road towards Claudy.  The old boy can be seen wearing both jereys, depending on who's doing well.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ziggysego

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on April 03, 2008, 08:56:42 AM
tyrone girls where always easy  :o

I lived in Derry for a few years. It weren't the Tyrone girls...
Testing Accessibility

rrhf

Easy Ziggy. Nadine coyle might well be reading and she'd never visit Greencastle in the snow again, in protest. if she thought that you thought that she was easy.

phew!

screenexile

Ah now lads ye've all had a go at Philomena stop lying!!!

Maximus Marillius

I remember talking to a number of Derry players involved in that game and they all said the same thing...that it was the only game in their lives that they felt they were going to be physically abused by tyrones supporters as they ran unto the pitch after the game. Does that not sum up the whole affair?

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: ziggysego on April 03, 2008, 10:11:08 AM
Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on April 03, 2008, 08:56:42 AM
tyrone girls where always easy  :o

I lived in Derry for a few years. It weren't the Tyrone girls...

maybe you are right - lucky us! -- tyrone girl?.. aye sure dominic kirwan ran off with a english woman :-\

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 03, 2008, 10:38:14 AM
I remember talking to a number of Derry players involved in that game and they all said the same thing...that it was the only game in their lives that they felt they were going to be physically abused by tyrones supporters as they ran unto the pitch after the game. Does that not sum up the whole affair?
would agree with that.
the tyronies were lucky to even have 13 men on the pitch by half time let alone at the end of the game.
thats why I have to have some level of admiration for them, they will use every trick in the book - dirty, fair , foul or cynical.

It is up to the ref to properly adjudicate when they are playing.