Football boss sent bullet in post

Started by ziggysego, March 29, 2008, 03:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

A police investigation is under way after a package addressed to Cliftonville manager Eddie Patterson was found to contain a bullet.

It was intercepted at a postal sorting office on Wednesday but details only emerged after Cliftonville's cup match against Linfield on Saturday.

It had been addressed to Mr Patterson at the club's Solitude ground, off the Cliftonville Road in north Belfast.

A Cliftonville spokesman said it was a "disgusting and sad day for football".

Police said the package also contained a letter.

In a statement released on Saturday, the club said that, with Mr Patterson's agreement, they had not commented until now to avoid disrupting the team's preparations or raising tensions in any way.

"Cliftonville Football Club and the PSNI are treating this as a very serious matter and have offered Mr Patterson and his family every support and assistance at this time," the statement said.

Linfield manager David Jeffrey said the person who sent the bullet was "absolutely sick".

"I trust the police will apprehend whatever idiot has done this. Words like condemnation are an understatement. I'm angry that a man like Edward Patterson should be subjected to that," he said.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7320637.stm

A sorry state of affair. I had really hoped soccer in the north had moved on him this. I hope the IFA and the PSNI do thelr damnest to find the idiot and throw the full force of the law at him.
Testing Accessibility

stew

What a shame this is. Hatred is alive and well in the north and there are still many scumbags out there who refuse to move on. Fair play to the Linfield manager for his comments and I hope the peelers somehow find out which coward sent this disgusting threat.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

red hander

Apparently a bunch of Linfield scum went on the rampage in Castle Street an hour ago, attacking Cosgrave's Bar and stabbing some passer-by in the throat ... nice people those bluemen

Minder

We could do without things like that but when final score from bbc Northern Ireland came on you would have thought 40 people were massacred at a game today judging by Sidearses manner,its just some clown looking attention and now he has got it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

red hander

Apparently, victim in his 20s is fighting for his life after having his throat slashed  during the rampage by Linfield 'fans', who ran amok after attacking Cosgraves

stew

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 29, 2008, 05:44:47 PM
Quote from: stew on March 29, 2008, 04:04:45 PM
What a shame this is. Hatred is alive and well in the north and there are still many scumbags out there who refuse to move on.

Before you read this thread had you stopped reading Fearon's sectarian, hatred filled posts?  You don't have to send bullets in the post to live in the past.

I never said you did and I wasnt aware I had to pass comment on Fearon before I posted about a bullet being sent in the mail with a hate filled letter. TYP please let me know going forward if reading fearons posts are  a pre-requisite before commenting on threads in this forum.
I love your last comment, it speaks volumes. Obviously I thought that it was indeed a requirement that you had to send a bullet and a hateful letter in the post to be living in the past. :-\

Feck sake, Fearon seems to control every facet of this board and now we have Tyronies as well as OWC with a Fearon fixation.

redcard

Quote from: stew on March 29, 2008, 08:12:52 PM
What a shame this is. Hatred is alive and well in the north and there are still many scumbags out there who refuse to move on.

Before you read this thread had you stopped reading Fearon's sectarian, hatred filled posts?  You don't have to send bullets in the post to live in the past.

I never said you did and I wasnt aware I had to pass comment on Fearon before I posted about a bullet being sent in the mail with a hate filled letter. TYP please let me know going forward if reading fearons posts are  a pre-requisite before commenting on threads in this forum.
I love your last comment, it speaks volumes. Obviously I thought that it was indeed a requirement that you had to send a bullet and a hateful letter in the post to be living in the past. :-\

Feck sake, Fearon seems to control every facet of this board and now we have Tyronies as well as OWC with a Fearon fixation.

TYP a Tyronie? 

the green man

If its the Loyalist paramilitries, they'll be caught in no time, sure them'uns sing like canaries.

On a serious note, I think its repulsive. I've had the pleasure of speaking to Eddie on a few occasions, and I found him to be a total football man, never caring what creed a body happened to be.

But hey, there's always one out there.

Minder

I wonder would the indignation be as strong on this board if David Jeffrey got the bullet in the post . . . . .

Hurler on the Bitch

Dare I even start to try and list the long line of thuggery associated with Linfield fans.. ? Obviously a crowd heading to the Shankill - cops should have spotted them a mile off... 

Chrisowc

Both Minder's posts sum it up.

I'm sure he's scundered I'm agreeing with him ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

stew

Quote from: redcard on March 29, 2008, 08:35:54 PM
Quote from: stew on March 29, 2008, 08:12:52 PM

TYP a Tyronie? 

He lives there and by all accounts is a closet tyrone fan. :P

I was trying to inject a little bit of humour into the situation. I know full well who TYP is.

stew

Quote from: Minder on March 29, 2008, 08:53:37 PM
I wonder would the indignation be as strong on this board if David Jeffrey got the bullet in the post . . . . .

I would like to think it would, it doesnt matter who received it because it couldnt be more disgusting no matter the receipent.

Chris/minder. Forget whataboutery in this case and condone it for what it is.

stew

Quote from: Minder on March 29, 2008, 06:10:35 PM
We could do without things like that but when final score from bbc Northern Ireland came on you would have thought 40 people were massacred at a game today judging by Sidearses manner,its just some clown looking attention and now he has got it.

It is big news regrdless of your attempt to minimize it. I seem to recall a certain Northern Ireland player quitting the team because of a cowardly death threat, will this nonsense ever end.

Minder

Quote from: stew on March 29, 2008, 10:34:47 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 29, 2008, 08:53:37 PM

I would like to think it would, it doesnt matter who received it because it couldnt be more disgusting no matter the receipent.

Chris/minder. Forget whataboutery in this case and condone it for what it is.

Or condemn......? I have already said we could do without it but i think there are more important/serious things happening in the world