Setanta TV Choice

Started by Barney, March 27, 2008, 07:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyb

Just checked, no word on what game is being shown next sat night. Regardless, I fancy a trip up to Derry anyway.

magpie seanie

I'd just like to offer my appreciation to Cavan for triumphing over the forces of darkness on Saturday night. I really enjoyed the game on TV and Johnston is really something when he's in the mood like that.

moysider

What annoys me is that RTE' s Sunday night programme usually concentrates on games already shown on Setanta orTG4. I know not everybody has Setanta but I have and I got it primarily for these Saturday night league matches - which RTE deal with anyway. Having club commitments today I could nt be in Newbridge  today and all tv had to offer me later was mostly a match I watched live last night and the Galway/Derry game I had recorded anyway. Surely between all the tv channels there s enough resources to cover the top two divisions at least and show ten minutes highlights of each.

magpie seanie

You're dead right Moysider. If you compare it to the dross that is LOI soccer and the coverage it gets.

fcuksake

50% of the sunday game is the panel talking instead of showing action on the field ::)
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Croí na hÉireann

Question: Is Setanta Ireland free with Sky now??? Used to have the setanta subscription at home, cancelled this year but still managed to watch the Leinster match on Sat evening (just missed the Cavan Cork game)...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Barney

I think it must be a population issue.

This week subscribers can get the answers to the question - are Roscommon actually as bad as it appears! Cheeky Dubs v Rossies gets the nod over Tyrone/Derry, Donegal/Laois or Kerry/Kildare.

Hound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 31, 2008, 01:48:55 PM
Question: Is Setanta Ireland free with Sky now??? Used to have the setanta subscription at home, cancelled this year but still managed to watch the Leinster match on Sat evening (just missed the Cavan Cork game)...
No its not free with Sky. Think its €19 a month. But they put the odd game/progam on unencrypted to whet the appetite. 

magpie seanie

QuoteThis week subscribers can get the answers to the question - are Roscommon actually as bad as it appears! Cheeky Dubs v Rossies gets the nod

There could be a bit of a cheeky batin on the cards!

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Barney on March 31, 2008, 02:50:09 PM
This week subscribers can get the answers to the question - are Roscommon actually as bad as it appears!

Takes a big man to kick a team when their down  :'(

Rav67

I hadn't watched a Saturday evening game on Setanta before the weekend there, probably the worst commentary I've ever heard! 

stevecw

Dubs v Roscommon. Already we all know that its gona be easy win 4 Dubs. Bad call by Setanta, much better games they could have picked even on Sat night.

Oriel Man

Quote from: stevecw on March 31, 2008, 09:44:58 PM
Dubs v Roscommon. Already we all know that its gona be easy win 4 Dubs. Bad call by Setanta, much better games they could have picked even on Sat night.

Totally Agree!! This game would be last on my list of Options:

1. Derry Vs Tyrone
2. Cork Vs Monaghan
3. Meath Vs Armagh
4. Kerry Vs Kildare
5. Dublin Vs Roscommon

List based on competitiveness (as you can see I'm not biased - I only put Monaghan's Game 2nd  :) )
Obviously Setanta are basing this choice purely on viewing numbers (....as RTE do in picking Liverpool and Man Utd constantly for live champions league games)

Aaron Boone

It will also be their fourth scheduled division 2 game in a row :

Cavan v Dublin;
Dublin v Monaghan (pp);
Cavan v Cork;
Dublin v Roscommon.

Oriel Man

I wouldn't mind showing Div2 games over Div1 games. The difference between the two divisions is relatively small (due to the way they split the divisions last year), and div2 seems to be more competitive. Things will settle down over coming years.....with all the top teams in div1. Also, there seems to be more Div2 games under lights. However this weekend i would pick Derry Vs Tyrone.

All we want is for them to pick the most competitive/interesting game of the night. Just look at each option from a neutrals point of view.

But as i said above, i can fully understand why they pick games that will draw the highest viewing figures. They are a commercial channel and need to draw advertising revenue.