Attention Dublin and Tyrone supporters.

Started by Tippfan, March 26, 2008, 02:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tippfan

Attention Dublin and Tyrone fans. Can ye recall prior to the Battle of Omagh in 2006, if some local Tyrone reporter made a comment about a Dublin player/players in the lead up to the game? I'm just wondering what sparked off the events of that day and I heard that remarks passed during the week about Dublin were to blame. Can anybody shed any light on this for me please? Many thanks.

supersarsfields

I don't recall anything been said by a Tyrone reporter prior to the game in 2006 but that's not to say there wasn't. I suppose the two games the year before might have had an effect on that game tho from what I can remember there wasn't really any bad vibes between the two teams from them games.
I suppose it doesn't always need a history for a game to get rough.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tippfan on March 26, 2008, 02:27:03 PM
Attention Dublin and Tyrone fans. Can ye recall prior to the Battle of Omagh in 2006, if some local Tyrone reporter made a comment about a Dublin player/players in the lead up to the game? I'm just wondering what sparked off the events of that day and I heard that remarks passed during the week about Dublin were to blame. Can anybody shed any light on this for me please? Many thanks.
I recall the game in Parnell Park in 05 was a nasty enough affair, with the 2 games in the championship also a lot was said in the press . Allot of it not by tyrone but by "know it all" types in the press who claimed Dublin where too small and to easily pushed around
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

nrico2006

It seems to be now that people, when mentioning that league game, always say it was the day the Dubs stood up for themselves.  To me thats crap.  Tyrone were never an over physical team, in the way that Armagh were.  Tyrone beat Dublin in the 2005 championship through great football.  The 2 games against the dubs were the highlight of that summer.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

From purely a Dublin perspective:

Tyrone were acting the maggot in Healy park for the 2005 league game (not the 'Battle of Omagh') with the way they treated Dublin - in terms of facilities, availability of hot water, dressing rooms locked etc - they 'allegedly' detailed 'stewards' to shadow the Dublin mgt (a la Waterford v Clare in '98) and Dave Billings ended up clocking one of the stewards (I'm surprised the Meathman from the Indo forgot to include that in his list of transgressions against the current mgt team). Dublin were pretty pissed off with how they were treated.

In the 2005 championship replay, McMenamin ran up behind Sherlock after the half time whistle and punched him in the back of the head and then ran off to the dressing room - this is what caused the half time row.

The 2006 league game was clean upto the point where Derek Murray won a ball and a free in his own full back line and then McMenamin ran in and punched Murray - he ran off and things kicked off from there...

heffo

Quote from: Gnevin on March 26, 2008, 02:34:07 PM
I recall the game in Parnell Park in 05 was a nasty enough affair,

It was in Healy park in '05.

orangeman

Dublin came to Omagh that year after having lost in Croker the previous year and Pillar and co decided to kick them off the field in an attempt to show that "this year, we'll not be pushed around by anybody !!!!" - that's all that happened 1

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on March 26, 2008, 03:04:22 PM
Dublin came to Omagh that year after having lost in Croker the previous year and Pillar and co decided to kick them off the field in an attempt to show that "this year, we'll not be pushed around by anybody !!!!" - that's all that happened 1

interesting. I was there, seemed the Tyrone guys gave as good as they got! Not to mention who "started" it  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

heffo

Who threw the first punch?

heffo

I assume you were at the game and had an insight into the Dublin mgt's thoughts?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on March 26, 2008, 03:00:18 PM
McMenamin ran in and punched Murray - he ran off and things kicked off from there...

so this is the culprit and he is a repeat offender !
:D

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on March 26, 2008, 03:08:15 PM

I assume you were at the game and had an insight into the Dublin mgt's thoughts?

Let's face it Heffo - it's not too hard to work out Dublin's tactics since Pillar took over, is it ?.

Jinxy

If I was a Dublin supporter, I wouldn't be worried so much about their new-found "tactics" as I would be about Pillar regularly losing his cool on the line. It seems to affect the entire backroom staff too. How can you make clear headed decisions based on the way a game is going when you are getting involved with the opposition the whole time? Don't get me wrong, Coyler was a menace when he was a player but he is a picture of calm on the line compared to Pillar.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on March 26, 2008, 03:13:17 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 26, 2008, 03:08:15 PM

Let's face it Heffo - it's not too hard to work out Dublin's tactics since Pillar took over, is it ?.

Outside of openly taunting opponents (which I'm not a fan of and which Dublin aren't the only transgressors) name a game where Dublin have taken the approach where they're going to bully the team off the park.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on March 26, 2008, 03:21:06 PM
If I was a Dublin supporter, I wouldn't be worried so much about their new-found "tactics" as I would be about Pillar regularly losing his cool on the line. It seems to affect the entire backroom staff too. How can you make clear headed decisions based on the way a game is going when you are getting involved with the opposition the whole time? Don't get me wrong, Coyler was a menace when he was a player but he is a picture of calm on the line compared to Pillar.

I'd agree with that to an extent.