AFL 2008

Started by zoyler, March 22, 2008, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: stephenite on March 31, 2008, 12:39:53 AM
If you saw the amount of horsing and running he was doing off the ball, never mind if his ball winning at the SCG yesterday he'd walk onto any county team in virtually any position, I reckon he's be lethal at CHB

Marc O'Se, Aidan O'Mahony and Tadgh Kennelly - some half back line ??????????

thejuice

QuoteMurphy subject of racial abuse

Rising AFL star Brendan Murphy has vowed to rise above the racial abuse he endured whilst playing for the Sydney Swans reserves in just his second outing.

Murphy is steadily rising through the ranks of the Swans and is hotly tipped to have a bright future in the game having just left Carlow six months ago.

Last Sunday, the Swans played Belmaine in a reserve match and right from the throw in, the former Carlow minor's opponents were taunting him about his native country.

"From the bounce the other team gave me a lot of stick for my accent and told me to f*ck off back to Ireland," revealed Murphy. "I just laughed it off, because I'm going to get a lot of that over my career."

Suppose no worse than you'd get playing Junior B football, actually timid, didnt even mention his mother,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

corn02

Its is racial abuse and I still think it is frig all. Irish slags just don't have the same bitterness as other forms of racism. Unacceptable though.

'f**k off back to Ireland'? Jesus, oh-ee.

orangeman

Quote from: corn02 on April 04, 2008, 12:19:43 PM
Its is racial abuse and I still think it is frig all. Irish slags just don't have the same bitterness as other forms of racism. Unacceptable though.

'f**k off back to Ireland'? Jesus, oh-ee.

You'd hear worse here many a time. 

scalder

Feck that racism is racism and I'm sure Murphy was on the recieving end of worse than he admitted. If Greaghy had to eat humble pie and be on the recieving end of vilification a few years back over his alledged comments then the same should go for those gulity of this.

orangeman

Quote from: scalder on April 04, 2008, 01:02:57 PM
Feck that racism is racism and I'm sure Murphy was on the recieving end of worse than he admitted. If Greaghy had to eat humble pie and be on the recieving end of vilification a few years back over his alledged comments then the same should go for those gulity of this.

It's no big feal considering most of the Australians have Irish blood in them !

ykickamoocow

An Irish rivalry re-ignited

IF SYDNEY Tadhg Kennelly and Brisbane Lion Colm Begley were still in Ireland playing Gaelic Football, they wouldn't exactly be classed as ardent rivals.

Kennelly is from the football stronghold of Kerry. His county boasts 35 All-Ireland titles, five of which his famous dad Tim played in, even captaining the side on one occasion in 1979. As well as that, Tadhg's brother Noel has three to his name.

On the other hand, Begley hails from Laois, and can't brag much about his county's football exploits. They've yet to win a senior All-Ireland football title. It's a fact that Kennelly still reminds his compatriot of when they ignite their Australian football rivalry in Swans versus Lions clashes.

"I always try and get him with a shoulder early on and say to him, you're nothing but a Laois you-know-what," Kennelly laughed.

"But he's just as quick with his remarks. We've got a good bit of banter going."

Begley's defence is that he achieved county success before leaving for Australia.

"I won an All-Ireland minor (under-18) medal before I came out here. If I was still back there playing who knows what could have happened," Begley joked. 

Kennelly is quick to admit that, although the rivalry between Irish recruits is friendly, it does serve as motivation for both to perform at their peak.

"It does spice it up. I'm sure Colm will be keen to play well this weekend knowing he's up against me and I'll be the same. It's like playing Collingwood (who have Irish recruit Marty Clarke) or Carlton (the O'hAilpin brothers), you always try to play well when you're playing against your fellow countrymen. It's a healthy rivalry."

Begley says personal contests against other Irishmen are the most important ones to win during the season.

"It gives you bragging rights for the rest of the year if you beat them and it's especially good to have bragging rights against him (Kennelly)."

Whereas the Swans' defender is winning in the rivalry stakes when it comes to home county honours and indeed his own premiership achievement in Australia, there is one bragging right which firmly belongs to Begley.

"I made a faster AFL debut than Tadhg. And it's not that I like boasting but if someone asks then I have to tell them that. I couldn't lie about it. It's just part of what happened out here, part of my ongoing career," Begley chuckled.

Kennelly confirms Begley's openness about discussing the coup.

"He rang me up straight away and said 'you know, I'm playing AFL football quicker than you, I'm playing my first game quicker than you did'. He let me know on numerous occasions about that one, that's for sure."

But the pair's rivalry extends much further than the football field. According to Begley, it's in off-field areas that he excels over his Kerry compatriot. And when it comes to sledging, Begley uses his "advantage" in that area as material.

"He's an OK looking guy, but you couldn't really compare him to me," Begley said.

"The last time we played each other I chatted to him about losing his hair. It's unfortunate for him but he's getting old I suppose," he laughed.

Kennelly's response to such jibes is simple.

"He can keep his looks and I'll keep my premiership medal," he said.

Speaking of Grand Final victories, Kennelly's Irish jig, which he performed after winning the 2005 premiership with the Swans, attracted a lot of attention. He says overall he's a much better dancer than his compatriot.

"I've seen him in action. He's got two left feet. He's got no idea. He might have the looks but I've got the moves," Kennelly said.

As for Begley, he says there's only one way to really know who's better.

"At the end of the year, we'll have a few drinks and a dance off instead of an interview. And we'll see who's got the moves then."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=57358

youbetterbelieveit

zoyler

I see Kennelly has rubbished all the talk about him coming back to Kerry next year.  He said the OIRISH Mail  had it all wrong.  He still has this and next year on his contract and will talk to the Swans then.  Only a fool would believe anything in the Mail rag anyway.

orangeman

Quote from: zoyler on April 04, 2008, 03:35:43 PM
I see Kennelly has rubbished all the talk about him coming back to Kerry next year.  He said the OIRISH Mail  had it all wrong.  He still has this and next year on his contract and will talk to the Swans then.  Only a fool would believe anything in the Mail rag anyway.

Was it not all over the papers ? Whoever said contract negotiations was right ! You're right Zoyler - we're fools !

INDIANA

at 700k a year - he'd have to be an absolute plonker to come home.

Tyrone Dreamer

Depending on how much he's already made Id hardly say he's a fool if he comes home and trys to fulfill a lifetime ambition. If he doesnt try and win an all ireland now he'll never get one. If you've already got plenty of money wouldnt it be nice to try and do something that you could be proud of the rest of your life, as well as getting to come back to his family/friends.

thejuice

Lally is Oz-bound
04 April 2008

Declan Lally is to try his hand at Australian Rules after opting out of the Dublin football squad earlier this week.

The St. Brigid's clubman flies out to Hong Kong on Saturday to discuss a job offer, and will travel on from there to Sydney next Tuesday where he is due to have talks with the team manager and chairman of an Aussie Rules club.

Lally wouldn't reveal the name of the club, but confirmed that it wasn't the Sydney Swans who currently have Irish players Tadhg Kennelly and Brendan Murphy on their books.

"All I can say is that it is a feeder club for one of the big professional clubs," said the 26-year-old, who admitted that he had become frustrated at his lack of appearances for Dublin since joining the panel in late 2003.

"Over the last 12 months with Dublin, it hasn't worked out as well for me as I had hoped. Really, I felt that I was going nowhere with the Dublin set-up, and so I felt that the time was right for me to go to Australia and play Aussie Rules."
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tyrone exile

is the collingwood game on setanta this weekend?
what time?

corn02

Don't think so. Kennelly was excellent today again.