Rowing

Started by Davitt Man, March 20, 2008, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

Over the winter i did a bit of rowing in the gym, just wondering what people think of it. I play gaa and i found it a good work out, i had to row 2km on the max strength and managed to do it in 6.58 a few times? Would that be a good time? Any rowers here be able to help me

nrico2006

I used to do it and found it to be very good, but then I started having back problems so packed it in.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

hitzelsperger

where you find out about the 2km work out davitt?

Davitt Man

Quote from: hitzelsperger on March 20, 2008, 05:08:11 PM

A mate of mine suggested it to me, row 2k in less than 8 mins.

behind the wire

Quote from: hitzelsperger on March 20, 2008, 05:08:11 PM

was there not a bit about that in john mccloskeys little red book?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

imtommygunn

A wee bit of John McCloskeys trainin schedule was published in the IN one day.

One of the things he had the Armagh boys on was rowing intervals. I think they had to do 10 x 400m all inside 90 seconds(or something along those lines) with about 30 seconds break in between them.

illdecide

I used to be able to row 2800m in 10mins flat out which was a ball breaker although it seems similar times to your's just a bit longer. Armagh squad used to have to row 300m in 1 minute then rest for 30sec this was repeated 6 times so you have six 1 minute rows but you must achieve 300m in that minute and you're 30sec intervals. after that was achieved you then added ten 30sec rows with ten 30sec intervals and having to hit the 150m in you're 30 sec row which is almost impossible to do.

Have a go at the six 1 minute rows with a 30sec break and see how you get on...Oh i forgot to mention all done at max strength/power or no10 on the machine.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heganboy

From the concept 2 website:
Myth: Rowing with more resistance will give a better workout.
Fact: The resistance setting is not a measure of your workout quality or quantity.
The settings 1-10 on the Indoor Rower are not work level settings or fitness level settings. The intensity of your workout is controlled by how hard you pull on the handle and is calculated and displayed by the electronic monitor as you row. Your accomplishment is indicated by the monitor, not the setting of the wind damper. As your fitness level and rowing skill improves you will be able to achieve better scores... i.e. faster pace, higher watt output, or greater rate of calorie consumption... regardless of the damper setting in which you choose to row. Think of the Indoor Rower as your boat. If you row at low intensity you can row for a long time. To make the boat go faster you pull harder; and if you try to make the boat go very fast you will be exhausted in a short time. Air resistance on the flywheel fan works just like the water resistance on a boat.

Now that you are thinking in terms of a boat on the water, let's examine the effect of the damper settings 1-10. In the lower numbers 1-4 the feel of the Indoor Rower is like a sleek racing shell. In the higher numbers 6-10 the feel is like a big, slow rowing boat. Either boat can be rowed hard; and as you try to make either boat go fast, you will need to apply more force. Making the sleek boat go fast requires you to apply your force more quickly; and when trying to make the big boat go fast you will feel a high force but at a slower speed of application.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Rudi

Quote from: heganboy on March 20, 2008, 07:36:57 PM
From the concept 2 website:
Myth: Rowing with more resistance will give a better workout.
Fact: The resistance setting is not a measure of your workout quality or quantity.
The settings 1-10 on the Indoor Rower are not work level settings or fitness level settings. The intensity of your workout is controlled by how hard you pull on the handle and is calculated and displayed by the electronic monitor as you row. Your accomplishment is indicated by the monitor, not the setting of the wind damper. As your fitness level and rowing skill improves you will be able to achieve better scores... i.e. faster pace, higher watt output, or greater rate of calorie consumption... regardless of the damper setting in which you choose to row. Think of the Indoor Rower as your boat. If you row at low intensity you can row for a long time. To make the boat go faster you pull harder; and if you try to make the boat go very fast you will be exhausted in a short time. Air resistance on the flywheel fan works just like the water resistance on a boat.

Now that you are thinking in terms of a boat on the water, let's examine the effect of the damper settings 1-10. In the lower numbers 1-4 the feel of the Indoor Rower is like a sleek racing shell. In the higher numbers 6-10 the feel is like a big, slow rowing boat. Either boat can be rowed hard; and as you try to make either boat go fast, you will need to apply more force. Making the sleek boat go fast requires you to apply your force more quickly; and when trying to make the big boat go fast you will feel a high force but at a slower speed of application.

Excellent post 100% correct, weight is also a critical factor (much the same as boxing). Annoying to see big muckers adjusting the setting to max & thinking they are mighty men, such is life. Time is pretty decent Davitt, can remember as a 16 year old crying after 8,000 meters, me legs burning. Tis a savage sport, gaa training was a piece of piss compared to this.

Orior

I'm with Richard Prior on this one.

Whilst you guys cry "no pain no gain", Richard and I say "no pain no pain".
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

hitzelsperger

rowing is a pure nightmare and unbelievable workout for the whole body...i read countries lik oz and germany put adverts in papers for normal ppl within an age group (norm 16 to 20) to come for trials and if they have the required traits (height, strength) they progress them onto advanced training to get them to top class level...think there would be a good few players could make it if they went hard at rowing!

Shamrock Shore

Feck

I opening this thread thinking it was about having a good auld row with someone.

Davitt Man

Quote from: illdecide on March 20, 2008, 05:16:09 PM
I used to be able to row 2800m in 10mins flat out which was a ball breaker although it seems similar times to your's just a bit longer. Armagh squad used to have to row 300m in 1 minute then rest for 30sec this was repeated 6 times so you have six 1 minute rows but you must achieve 300m in that minute and you're 30sec intervals. after that was achieved you then added ten 30sec rows with ten 30sec intervals and having to hit the 150m in you're 30 sec row which is almost impossible to do.

Have a go at the six 1 minute rows with a 30sec break and see how you get on...Oh i forgot to mention all done at max strength/power or no10 on the machine.

I tried this the other evening, its tough going i did 4 of them, i was getting the 300 done in 57\58 secs.

AZOffaly

Any of ye aver attend the rowing regattas that take place along the coast. They are huge in Kerry (Maurice Fitz was a great rower as well apparently). I was at one last year where they rowed from Beginnish past Valentia Island, over almost to Portmagee and back to finish on the pier at Knightstown on Valentia. It was unbelievable. The effort must be absolutely savage.

ildanach

mick o connell as well.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.