THROW BALL
A very sensible post from you.
I agree entirely on all aspects

corn02

One change. McGrane in for Courtney.

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: mackers on March 27, 2008, 10:54:54 AM
Francie could be on before half time.  

If McDonnell's perserverence with Paul Magee at FB for 45 mins in the U-21 game is anything to go by then don't hold your breath for a positional remedy. This young lad was clearly in trouble by the Donegal FF, Griffin, after the first ball went in.  He was cleaned completely and was turned inside out, yet McDonnel only saw fit to make a change toward the end.  I overheard an older Donegal lady behind me say: "I'm surprised they have left that lad on big Griffin". FFS, it was so obvious.

In saying that, we had many underperforming, even Toner in MF was ineffective.  But the problems stemmed from the mismatch between FF and our FB.

I think David McKenna needs to go catching balloons to improve his timing (didn't Beefer have McGrane at this?).  So many times last Saturday he rose for ball which soared over his head as he was on the downward descent.  Paul McKeown was the only one who looked useful. Forker missed too may chances, despite getting plenty of good ball and he had the beating of his man.

I don't think Charlie Vernon's natural position is MF.  I've seen him from underage, but don't think he'll boss intercounty midfields. However, as Benny says bursting forward from HB he is a powerful sight indeed. HF is the only place I can see him being accommodated in the county senior team.  While SJK has performed well to date, I don't think Vernon would be as anonomous for the periods Kernan can go missing.  

Onion Bag

Just seen the team and panel there on the Armagh website, Does anyone know has Brian Mc Cone from Ballymacnab been dropped from the panel all together, he not listed at all
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

naka

Armagh team
mckinney
shannon donaghy moriarity
kernan o rourke mc keever
  swift toner
s kernan, m orourke mc grane
mc donnell clarke kernan

bennydorano

Midfield mayhem on Sunday then.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2008, 09:18:07 AM
Midfield mayhem on Sunday then.

I remember Big Paul playing half forward line in his earlier days (a lot at club level too...) Not a big point scorer but he used to be good for a goal fairly regularly!

mackers

Think that's a fair enough team. It'll be a big confidence boost for Swift to have retained his place (Jaysus Throwball you talk more sense on a discussion board than you do when you're at a match  ;)). Obviously McGrane will man midfield as well or him and Nippy will swap places.
We now a relativlely good squad with Oisin,Charlie Vernon and Brian Mallon to come in the forward line if things aren't working well up front and Francie to shore up the FB line if required (and Andy mallon when fit).
Wish Brendan Crossan would p1ss off, putting the kiss of death on us in the Irish News. It's still early days to be blowing smoke up our arses and Sunday could prove that yet!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Uladh

I'm not convinced that naming McGrane in the half fowards is a sensible move. in his earlier county days he usd start at 10 or 11 to play as an auxillary midfielder but it never worked. he just didn't get into games. unless he does actually line out in the middle of course. himself and swift would be a natural switch?

Interesting to see how the two kernans cope with the physical aspect of the game on sunday, with what will be close to a championship paced match. also, this game is a very big test for shannon, donaghy, moriarty and swift and their credentials for championship football. is thereanything to be read into the fact that hearty hasn't featured yet? i was half expecting him to get a run sunday.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 28, 2008, 08:28:03 AM
Just seen the team and panel there on the Armagh website, Does anyone know has Brian Mc Cone from Ballymacnab been dropped from the panel all together, he not listed at all

Is Courtney off the team and the panel?
"Stercus accidit"

holylandsniper

Paul Kernan on an Armagh Senior Panel  :o it got to be an error, if not how the hell did he manage that he is one of the most overrated players in Cross & in Armagh yet to see him play well.

mhacadoir

what does brndan crossans article say?

topgun

armagh team and panel according to website for sundays game
a prophet is not recognised by his own

thebandit

Didn't know Barry McDonald was on the panel??

Has Gerard McCooy featured in any of the league games yet?