Galway verses Derry

Started by Oakleafer1993, March 18, 2008, 09:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 27, 2008, 03:47:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2008, 03:21:53 PM
with the team from the last day, I'd say Derry by 7
but with u21 and the couple of family members/friends weddings causing a bit of a distraction it might be tougher for Derry around Midfield for a start. Galway to pray for bad weather, a northern hating ref and a large slice of luck to win this.
When I hear more about the Derry teams state of mind I'd give a more honest prediction.

Still think Derry can win by four , comfortable but missing plenty.
Something to paste on the dressing room wall me thinks  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I seriously doubt one Derry fan's prediction on a discussion board will be much of a concern to Liam Sammon and his players!

Lynchbhoy-   and how exactly will you be able to get a clear picture of the state of minds of the Derry players?????  Do you be having regular chats with the team psychologist or something?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rav67 on March 27, 2008, 03:54:47 PM
I seriously doubt one Derry fan's prediction on a discussion board will be much of a concern to Liam Sammon and his players!

Lynchbhoy-   and how exactly will you be able to get a clear picture of the state of minds of the Derry players?????  Do you be having regular chats with the team psychologist or something?
you can pick up a lot of things from this board, plus from panel members back from training etc about the mindset of the personnel and mood of the camp.

Derry are in top form of the season so far, and only their lack of belief allowed them throw away a win down in Kerry.
They wont be as good the rest of the season, and have close enough to their championship team playing most games.

Form will not continue unabated until Sept, so there will be some break in the relatively near future.
It then remains to be seen what the management can do to bring them back on track - and in time to win the ulster championship or qualifiers.

screenexile

Well with 3 weddings on this weekend involving a good few Derry players I wouldn't be too worried about this match. Of course it would be nice to win but I think we should be targeting Tyrone at Celtic Park for a win to keep us up!

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2008, 04:21:56 PM
Well with 3 weddings on this weekend involving a good few Derry players I wouldn't be too worried about this match. Of course it would be nice to win but I think we should be targeting Tyrone at Celtic Park for a win to keep us up!

if derry adopt that attitude we will never win nothing. Any player who crys off should be put on the bench in the future. Derry need to be targetting every game not tyrone - what benefit will we have in beating one team?

Paddy1804

I agree - Derry should be trying to beat everyone every time they run out.  Paddy Heaney wrote in the Irish News a couple of weeks ago about Derry's lack of self-belief being their biggest failure as they certainly have the talent to win Ulster and mount a serious challenge for Sam - although Joe Brolly (writing in the Gaelic Life) wrote off what Paddy Heaney had said as tripe, I think there is something in it...  However i'm not so confident about the talent issue - Mark Lynch and James Conway are two obvious weak links and there are many people who doubt Conleith Gilligan's ability to cope on the big stages.  Anyone agree?

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: Paddy1804 on March 27, 2008, 06:23:21 PM
However i'm not so confident about the talent issue - Mark Lynch and James Conway are two obvious weak links and there are many people who doubt Conleith Gilligan's ability to cope on the big stages.  Anyone agree?

after mark lynch won the all-ireland minor medal - he and gerald o'kane where picked by the sunday examiner or tribune as 2 future stars - mark lynch as definitely not achieved his full potential - great driving runs but aimless finishing. The game against Dublin last year really demonstrated how little lynch contributed - after whelan hit him a dig - lynch did nothing and should have been substituted alot earlier. Lynch should start from the bench - he has to earn his place on the team.

ExiledGael

Derry must, and will, persist with Lynch. The man has undoubted quality. Seen him play at Uni/minor/U-21 and senior county level and he has what it takes.
Think with all the underage football success, minor and U-21, university football, club football and hurling and county demands he should do a Gooch or Declan O'Sullivan for a chunk of next season and forget about football for a few months and get out of the country.
Looks sometimes like he needs a break.

Real Talk

[quote author=Oakleafer1993 link=topic=7205.msg266580#msg266580 date=120

Sammon must see the Derry midfield as the weak point - dominate the midfield and the points will come. Unfortunately we don't really have many options in the engine room at the moment - Conway needs to step up this week. Mark lynch is another player who needs to produce the goods for Derry. Have been very disappointed by Lynch over the last 18 months - he is not doing it for Derry.
[/quote]

Oakleafer1993

LIVE ON TG4 & RADIO COVERAGE ON BBC RADIO ULSTER

Derry make a few changes from the side that beat Kildare.  John Deighan takes over from Barry Gillis in goals.  Francis McEldowney returns from suspension, with Niall McCusker dropping to the bench.  In the reshuffle Michael McIver moves to wing back, with Michael McBride moving to number 6.

Enda Muldoon had a fine game at midfield in the Ulster League final and he will partner his Ballinderry clubmate in the centre.  Paul Murphy come into the side at centre forward at the expense of Fergal Doherty.  In attack Eoin Bradley is retained ahead of Ciaran Mullan at corner forward.

Banagher duo Sean Marty Lockhart and Paul Cartin are back training.  Both are listed on the bench alongside Joe Diver who is also on the road to recovery.

Derry (v Galway): John Deighan, Kevin McGuckin, Kevin McCloy (Capt.), Francis McEldowney, Liam Hinphey, Michael McBride, Michael McIver, Enda Muldoon, James Conway, Mark Lynch, Paul Murphy, Barry McGoldrick, Conleith Gilligan, Patrick Bradley, Eoin Bradley.
Subs: Barry Gillis, Paul Cartin, Colin Devlin, Joe Diver, Fergal Doherty, Michael Friel, Joe Keenan, Sean M Lockhart, Enda Lynn, Niall McCusker, Ciaran Mullan, Paul O'Hea, Eunan O'Kane, Gerard O'Kane, Raymond Wilkinson.

lynchbhoy

thats far too many changes imo - unless they were enforced
that could really upset Derry's rhythm. If so then its a straight dogfight and could be a point or two either way - esp if the weather is bad.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2008, 08:59:45 AM
thats far too many changes imo - unless they were enforced
that could really upset Derry's rhythm. If so then its a straight dogfight and could be a point or two either way - esp if the weather is bad.
As per Met Eireann for Sunday as it seems it will have a big bearing on the Derry gameplan  ???

Sunday will start off dry and bright. However heavy or prolonged showers will spread from the southwest during the morning and become widespread in the afternoon, some possibly thundery. Highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees with moderate to fresh southwest winds. The showers will continue for a time on Sunday night and then gradually die out with ground frost developing in places

lynchbhoy

thats us practically fcuked then
whos the ref ?

GaillimhIarthair

GAA website has Rory Hickey from Clare down to ref the game. Never heard of him to be honest, no idea how good/bad he is.............

Oakleafer1993

jodyb

Quote from: Rav67 on March 27, 2008, 03:54:47 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 27, 2008, 03:47:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2008, 03:21:53 PM
with the team from the last day, I'd say Derry by 7
but with u21 and the couple of family members/friends weddings causing a bit of a distraction it might be tougher for Derry around Midfield for a start. Galway to pray for bad weather, a northern hating ref and a large slice of luck to win this.
When I hear more about the Derry teams state of mind I'd give a more honest prediction.

Still think Derry can win by four , comfortable but missing plenty.
Something to paste on the dressing room wall me thinks  ;D ;D ;D ;D

One Derry fan?? Cmon! After LB's prediction, the last time against Kildare, he should change his name to the oracle ;)