Wireless Broadband Help

Started by supersarsfields, March 13, 2008, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Have just bought myself a wireless router for my broadband ( Virgin) I have went through all the set up processes and it wouldn't work. I tried calling the helpline and got some one who barely spoke english. They informed me that something about having to reset my TCP or IP address on my Land card? Now I ain't so hot on computers so I was wondering if any of you tech heads might have a clue what he's on about. He said my IP address needed to start with 192. I have no idea what to do with it?

Any ideas?

Gnevin

Ok
Can you explain your set up a bit more , is their a link to your new router?

Also can you for the moment plug the wireless router into your pc
then go to start > run >type cmd>in box that pops up type>ipconfig/all and look for a 192. number
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

supersarsfields

:)
I'll try. Tho I have to admit that i ain't the best on these things!! It's a Belkin N Wireless Router. The only link I can find is www.belkin.com
I tried that other thing to get the IP address. But the IP address comes up as 82.4.39.237 not a 192 number. I think this is what the guy on the helpline was on about as well.
That's when he said I need to reset my TCP thingy but I haven't got the faintest Idea how to do that.

westmayo

This is slightly off topic but I'm looking at getting one of those mobile broadband units from either voadfone three or O2, I don't want to get a hardline in because I'm currently renting and looking to move in a while just want it for general stuff in the evenings. Any ideas on which is the best, the 3  looks best value €79 for the modem and €20 a month for 10g downloads, while the vodafone one is €49 for the modem and I think €15 for the first 3 months and €30 after that but only gives you a 5g download. 

take_yer_points

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 13, 2008, 12:49:09 PM
:)
I'll try. Tho I have to admit that i ain't the best on these things!! It's a Belkin N Wireless Router. The only link I can find is www.belkin.com
I tried that other thing to get the IP address. But the IP address comes up as 82.4.39.237 not a 192 number. I think this is what the guy on the helpline was on about as well.
That's when he said I need to reset my TCP thingy but I haven't got the faintest Idea how to do that.

It sounds like you're connected directly from your modem to the computer if that's your IP address. To initially set up your router you need to plug your modem into the "Internet" port (or something similar) in the wireless router and then connect from one of the other ports in the router to your PC using the ethernet ports.

You'll then need to find out what the default gateway address is (usually 192.168.1.1 or something) and and configure the router. I'm off on lunch here but I'll see if I can find the default gateway address for the belkin routers when I get back. You'll also need the username and password for the router - defaults are usually admin:admin or something like that but again I'll see if I can find it after lunch. They're not too difficult to find normally.

I'm using a Linksys router with Virgin so have a similar set up at home.

supersarsfields

Yeah when I saw the set up guide I thought it was going to be easy. But for some reason it's not working. At the minute I have the ethernet cable going from the back of my computer into the "wired Computer" plug at the back of the router. Then I have the cable that came with the router plugged from the "to modem" plug at the back of the router into the modem. As far as I can see that should be the right way of wiring it up. But it ain't working. Usually I just use the USB connection straight to the modem for my broadband. Now I've obviously disconnected this. But it just doesn't seem to want to work. I'm thinking about getting someone in to just install it.
according to the router's lights the problem seems to be between the router light and the wired computer light. Would it be a faulty cable at all?

tbrick18

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 13, 2008, 01:24:03 PM
Yeah when I saw the set up guide I thought it was going to be easy. But for some reason it's not working. At the minute I have the ethernet cable going from the back of my computer into the "wired Computer" plug at the back of the router. Then I have the cable that came with the router plugged from the "to modem" plug at the back of the router into the modem. As far as I can see that should be the right way of wiring it up. But it ain't working. Usually I just use the USB connection straight to the modem for my broadband. Now I've obviously disconnected this. But it just doesn't seem to want to work. I'm thinking about getting someone in to just install it.
according to the router's lights the problem seems to be between the router light and the wired computer light. Would it be a faulty cable at all?

Am I right in saying you have plugged your router into your modem? When using the router you dont also need the modem as there is one built into the router.
Just plug the eternet cable from any LAN port on the router into the ehternet port on your pc (easy to find as the ethernet port is the only one the cable will plug into). Then plug the other cable in the router directly into your wall socket splitter. With this setup run your setup disk and all the IP addresses should be set up automatically.

If you have already run the setup (which I assume you have) I would uninstall it again b4 doing the above. That way you are starting from a clean slate again. Just make sure you follow the steps on the instruction manual to the letter and it should work fine. I have the same router and had no problems at all. To uninstall go to Start -> Control Panels -> Add / Remove Programs and select any software that says Belkin and click the remove button. When finished make sure you restart the pc before plugging in any of the cables.

take_yer_points

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 13, 2008, 01:42:23 PM

Am I right in saying you have plugged your router into your modem? When using the router you dont also need the modem as there is one built into the router.
Just plug the eternet cable from any LAN port on the router into the ehternet port on your pc (easy to find as the ethernet port is the only one the cable will plug into). Then plug the other cable in the router directly into your wall socket splitter. With this setup run your setup disk and all the IP addresses should be set up automatically.

If you have already run the setup (which I assume you have) I would uninstall it again b4 doing the above. That way you are starting from a clean slate again. Just make sure you follow the steps on the instruction manual to the letter and it should work fine. I have the same router and had no problems at all. To uninstall go to Start -> Control Panels -> Add / Remove Programs and select any software that says Belkin and click the remove button. When finished make sure you restart the pc before plugging in any of the cables.

You sure about this? With Virgin its cable and the cable connection connects to the modem - that's how mine is anyway. Its not like a normal socket in the wall.

Can you connect to the rouer at all? When you plug the cable from the PC into the router and type 192.168.1.1 into the browser what happens?

As you were getting 82.4.39.237 as your IP address earlier I'm assuming your LAN port is enabled and the modem is working fine.

Gnevin

Try this go to start> control pane>network connections >internet protocol > properties >copy any detail in their, the tick the obtain automatically. disable and reenable the connect.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tbrick18

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 13, 2008, 01:59:40 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on March 13, 2008, 01:42:23 PM

You sure about this? With Virgin its cable and the cable connection connects to the modem - that's how mine is anyway. Its not like a normal socket in the wall.

Can you connect to the rouer at all? When you plug the cable from the PC into the router and type 192.168.1.1 into the browser what happens?

As you were getting 82.4.39.237 as your IP address earlier I'm assuming your LAN port is enabled and the modem is working fine.

Ah Virgin is supplied through cable....not sure then. By ISP supplies the service through the standard phone line so you just plug in a wee device that splits the signal into broadband and telephone at the phone socket then plug the router into the splitting device. It does have a built in modem which works in this scenario....but as I said, dont know what way cable supplied broadband works so probably best ignore anything I said. :(

supersarsfields

Cheers for the advise lads. But got no joy. Even managed to knock my internet of for a while yesterday ( Now your prob getting the level of expertise I have with computers!!) So going to have to get someone in to sort it out. Does anyone know a business in Belfast that can do this? I know PC world have the "Tech guys" at £80 but not sure if they'd be the best.

Square Ball

the exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with the same set up,  I ended up takling to an Indian for 45 minutes,

this is the IP address into the router 192.168.2.1

if you get into it, click on lan first and see whats showing there?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid