Any Violin/Fiddle Players On Here?

Started by thejuice, March 12, 2008, 10:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

After years of thinkin about it, got myself an old 2nd hand violin. Hope with enough practice to join in on a few seisiún ceol in the pub some day. Anyway the one i got seems to be lacking a bridge. Anyone know if they can be got and easily fitted? Checked online but not much luck.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

You should be able to pick up a bridge in most music shops.

thejuice

great and do they just fit into place and stay there due to string tension or do they need to be glued/fixed?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

Let me call my dad here, I cant remember off the top of my head.

I think* it needs some glue

Puckoon

Juice, alright -
First things first - NO GLUE!! :D

1. Any music store should have them - and they could probably fit it for you if you didnt want to mess around.

If you do however,

1. No Glue - I think we covered that already :D
2. Position the bridge between the end of the fingerboard, and the "fishtail" black thing that holds the strings. On either side of the fiddle should be the "F" holes, each of these should have a small notch cut into them around the middle. This is a marker for the general area of where you want the bridge to be.
3. Depending on the sound you want, some people place it closer to, or farther away from the end of the fingerboard.

thejuice

Quote from: Puckoon on March 12, 2008, 10:30:56 PM
Juice, alright -
First things first - NO GLUE!! :D

1. Any music store should have them - and they could probably fit it for you if you didnt want to mess around.

If you do however,

1. No Glue - I think we covered that already :D
2. Position the bridge between the end of the fingerboard, and the "fishtail" black thing that holds the strings. On either side of the fiddle should be the "F" holes, each of these should have a small notch cut into them around the middle. This is a marker for the general area of where you want the bridge to be.
3. Depending on the sound you want, some people place it closer to, or farther away from the end of the fingerboard.

oh think i'll take it to the shop, it'll be less danger of breaking the thing.

thanks puckoon, your a legend amoung men,

thejuice

Ok got myself a bridge for me fiddle, but its only uncovered another problem, The strings wont stay taught. when I try to tighten the strings the tuning heads cant hold them, they just unwind till the strings are loose. Perhaps the bridge is too high.

Gold

Buy a new Fiddle. You would have had 2 weeks practice in by now had you done so at the start!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gnevin

What is the difference between a Violin and a Fiddle?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Quote from: thejuice on March 25, 2008, 10:54:39 AM
Ok got myself a bridge for me fiddle, but its only uncovered another problem, The strings wont stay taught. when I try to tighten the strings the tuning heads cant hold them, they just unwind till the strings are loose. Perhaps the bridge is too high.

When you turn the tuning pegs, you are supposed to push them in at the same time. Kinda like a twist and push. That might help.

Orior

Nice story here including mention of a violin player and Down fan from Belfast.

http://www.fuegoyagua.com/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thejuice

Puckoon

Juice did you put the bridge on yourself?