Toning Tables

Started by Minder, March 12, 2008, 12:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Lads there is a girl in my office is away to do toning tables at lunchtime, she has my head melted listening to her. She said 10 minutes on them is the same as an hour in the gym, she must mean standing watching everyone else for an hour in the gym. It seems to be a typical woman thing, ie lazy, i told her there is no substitute for exercise and cutting out the cream buns. I take it these things are a load of sh*te?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stpauls

my girl used to do them with her mum and said that they did work to an extent but i would doubt that they are the equivalent of an hour's work in the gym!!

Zulu

QuoteShe said 10 minutes on them is the same as an hour in the gym, she must mean standing watching everyone else for an hour in the gym.

Exactly, there will never be a piece of equipment that can do in 10mins what traditional exercises will achieve in an hour. The only equipment you need to spend money on to get fit, lose weight or build muscle are a pair of runners, dumbbells and a bench and they always will.

stpauls

Quote from: Zulu on March 12, 2008, 12:24:39 PM
QuoteShe said 10 minutes on them is the same as an hour in the gym, she must mean standing watching everyone else for an hour in the gym.

Exactly, there will never be a piece of equipment that can do in 10mins what traditional exercises will achieve in an hour. The only equipment you need to spend money on to get fit, lose weight or build muscle are a pair of runners, dumbbells and a bench and they always will.

a swiss/gym ball is also very handy for abdominal exercises!!

Minder

Well she has returned and she still has an arse like a bag of spanners, she said she burnt 300 calories in 10 minutes and she wouldnt lose as much running for 10 minutes. I tried to explain that you also have to give your heart a work out and you shouldnt be worried about "losing" calories & you need to create a calorie deficit to burn fat, burning off more through exercise than you consume. Brick be wall a talking to may well as.

Zulu

Quotea swiss/gym ball is also very handy for abdominal exercises!!

Yeah forgot about that but there are a lot of exercises you can do without a swiss ball that are as good or better than those you generally do with a swiss ball.

QuoteWell she has returned and she still has an arse like a bag of spanners, she said she burnt 300 calories in 10 minutes and she wouldnt lose as much running for 10 minutes. I tried to explain that you also have to give your heart a work out and you shouldnt be worried about "losing" calories & you need to create a calorie deficit to burn fat, burning off more through exercise than you consume. Brick be wall a talking to may well as.

100 calories every 3 odd minutes :D Are there people out there really so ill informed? There's money to be made if I can find 100 of these girls and come up with some 9 minute workout that (I'll claim) burns 200 calories in that time!!

stpauls

Quote from: Zulu on March 12, 2008, 01:38:21 PM

Yeah forgot about that but there are a lot of exercises you can do without a swiss ball that are as good or better than those you generally do with a swiss ball.

true, but it is really handy for someone like me who's back is not as strong as it used to be!!

Gnevin

Quote from: Minder on March 12, 2008, 01:17:34 PM
Well she has returned and she still has an arse like a bag of spanners, she said she burnt 300 calories in 10 minutes and she wouldnt lose as much running for 10 minutes. I tried to explain that you also have to give your heart a work out and you shouldnt be worried about "losing" calories & you need to create a calorie deficit to burn fat, burning off more through exercise than you consume. Brick be wall a talking to may well as.
Did you tell her you can't tone fat also ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

illdecide

Thats the trouble with women they believe anything. Cut out the biscuits/buns and more exercise is the only method. Every time i see the wife reading a magazine the front page is always "loose weight without the effort" or "see a new you in 2 weeks" and all that type of Shite the only way thats gonna happen is if the Pathologist has you on his/her table :D :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

take_yer_points

Quote from: stpauls on March 12, 2008, 01:41:34 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 12, 2008, 01:38:21 PM

true, but it is really handy for someone like me who's back is not as strong as it used to be!!

Is this the same as a medicine ball? I've been using a 5kg ball to do sit ups in the gym a few times a week - doing up to about 50 sit ups with the ball held to my chest, 25 without and then holding my feet about half a foot off the ground for a minute a few times - but that's as far as the abs exercises go! What else can I do with the ball or what other abs exercises? I've lost a couple of stone so trying to tone up now a bit!

Zulu

QuoteIs this the same as a medicine ball? I've been using a 5kg ball to do sit ups in the gym a few times a week - doing up to about 50 sit ups with the ball held to my chest, 25 without and then holding my feet about half a foot off the ground for a minute a few times - but that's as far as the abs exercises go! What else can I do with the ball or what other abs exercises? I've lost a couple of stone so trying to tone up now a bit!

No TYP, a swiss ball is like a beach ball which you generally sit on to do your sit ups. It means you are on an unstable surface so your abs have to work harder to keep you stable than they would if your lying on the floor. The swiss ball is an excellent way of developing your abs but you should move away from the ab routine that involves only crunches and sit ups. Add in exercises like the plank, side plank, woodchop, deadlifts, squats and all the normal exercises that you do but using only one dumbbell and one arm or two dumbbells but standing on only one leg.

Minder

Zulu i have bought a speed/skipping rope, is there anywhere online they can give you some sort of workout programme for it as opposed to just endless skipping until im f*cked ?

take_yer_points

Quote from: Zulu on March 12, 2008, 02:53:10 PM
QuoteIs this the same as a medicine ball? I've been using a 5kg ball to do sit ups in the gym a few times a week - doing up to about 50 sit ups with the ball held to my chest, 25 without and then holding my feet about half a foot off the ground for a minute a few times - but that's as far as the abs exercises go! What else can I do with the ball or what other abs exercises? I've lost a couple of stone so trying to tone up now a bit!

No TYP, a swiss ball is like a beach ball which you generally sit on to do your sit ups. It means you are on an unstable surface so your abs have to work harder to keep you stable than they would if your lying on the floor. The swiss ball is an excellent way of developing your abs but you should move away from the ab routine that involves only crunches and sit ups. Add in exercises like the plank, side plank, woodchop, deadlifts, squats and all the normal exercises that you do but using only one dumbbell and one arm or two dumbbells but standing on only one leg.

Ah cheers Zulu! That's what they're called!! I must give them a go this evening! Cheers for the other tips!

Zulu

I don't think there is any site dedicated to it Minder, but you can use them in much the same way as you would any other aerobic type training. Type in key words like 'fitness' 'routine' and 'skipping rope' and you should get some ideas. But I'd probably use them in an interval type manner i.e 1min fast 1min slow for 10-12min. But that depends not only on your fitness levels but also on your skipping capabilities. If I come across any good routines I'll pass them on to you.

nrico2006

We were doing skipping in the boxing gym before xmas, combining it with punchbag workouts.  Basically on the rope we were doing 3 minutes on and then a minute off.  We maybe did 6/7 sets of that which actually was very good.  I started doing it in the house there too, the time flies and its handy if you can do it in the living room with the TV on.  Just increase the time if you wish after you're more comfortable, but 3 minutes is enough.  What I did was to try and count how many skips I did each time and try and better it the next.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'