Timber Frame Houses

Started by amallon, March 12, 2008, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

I have a sales guy from a timber frame company calling on Friday to try and sell me one of these timber frame houses.  I'm trying to get an idea of the advantages/disadvatanges of going Timber Frame, I have listed them below as I have heard.  Feel free to add more or dispell the ones I have.

Advantages
Quick Build time
Easy to heat
Supposed to be cheaper

Disadvantages
Noise carries further as internal wall aren't block built
House might not last as long
Is a timber frame house worth as much as the equivalent concrete house?
If you decide to alter/extend the house you can be limited in what you can do due to the timber frame design?
You have to know where all your plugs etc. are to go at desgin time, you can decide upon this much later with a concrete build

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

off the laces

All the disadvantages you list where true off the old design off timber frame, these days you can factor in any possible extension at design stage and the plugs and things are actually easier to move in timber frame. As for the noise the layer of building board and plasterboard covers that, the only area i always have for concern are the wet areas bathroom/ensuite etc. as we all know timber does not like getting a prolonged wetting, so ensure these areas are properly "Tanked" to cover this problem.
Also check if there is any sort of grant aid going for timberframe houses and any additional energy saving perks going it could help a bit with costs.
Keeps 'er' straight

Brick Tamlin

amallon

For someone who is very green in the building process would the timber frame process be better as there is less chance of getting screwed or mistakes happening?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Main Street

Quote from: amallon on March 12, 2008, 09:06:46 AM
Noise carries further as internal wall aren't block built
That´s a myth and not supported by sound transfer levels measured on comparable properly constructed dwellings.
Acceptable noise level in a room is measured at 35 to 40db
Cavity wall/ plasterbord is suffice to reduce the sound from a vacum cleaner coming through from another room to acceptable levels.
In more extreme cases like sound system, surround sound with low freq thumping Bass,  then more work is required - fill cavity with insulation, add on an extra layer of plasterboard.
Personally I have done that to silence the screams and music from the teenage bedrooms and for my sound system.

QuoteIf you decide to alter/extend the house you can be limited in what you can do due to the timber frame design?
I don´t think this is an issue. I have built ours (used stainless steel screws instead of galv nails) and have made 3 external changes with minimum disturbance.

QuoteHouse might not last as long
Proper construction means the wood can breathe (air circulation, moisture barriers  breathable wind barrier on the outer frame, good attic ventilation - windier the better) then you have an earthquake proof construction.

Overall I don't know what's best for you, I'm sure do grand with either.