Dual players

Started by THEREALGRASSROOTS, March 11, 2008, 02:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THEREALGRASSROOTS

I see today from our local paper that Liam Hinphey, one of the few dual players left in Ulster, has quit the Derry hurling panel.  This is a huge blow for Derry hurling, with the keeper having injured his shoulder as well.  I think it's time something was done about the stream of dual players quitting one or the other - what about limiting inter-county teams to two nights' training a week?  Something has to be done because the best hurlers in Derry aren't playing hurling, and I'm sure it's the same in other smaller counties.
Jazz flute is for fairies

rrhf

This is bad news for hurling in Derry and leads us onto the next question.  If you are a dual player can you get 2 grants?

Uladh

Was Hinphy not the captain of the hurlers?

Zulu

QuoteThis is bad news for hurling in Derry and leads us onto the next question.  If you are a dual player can you get 2 grants?

No.

QuoteI think it's time something was done about the stream of dual players quitting one or the other - what about limiting inter-county teams to two nights' training a week?  Something has to be done because the best hurlers in Derry aren't playing hurling, and I'm sure it's the same in other smaller counties.

There is nothing to be done here lads and in fact I think the death of the dual IC player is a good thing, I didn't always but I do now. Clubs see little enough of their IC players without them playing both codes at IC level and it is unfair on the player to burden him with so many teams even if he wants to play himself. A restriction on the amount of training IC teams can do is a non-runner anyway.

ildanach

keith higgins is a dual player for mayo. He scored 2-07 at the weekend of the hurlers ann will line out at left half back this week for the football.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

wherefromreferee?

I might be wrong, but the Dubs Corner Forward (13) against Cork in the hurling this weekend - doesnt he kick ball as well??
In your Endo!

Zulu

Quotekeith higgins is a dual player for mayo. He scored 2-07 at the weekend of the hurlers ann will line out at left half back this week for the football.

I know but I don't think that it's good for his club, himself and either code. Though obviously if he wants to play and both IC coaches are happy to allow him then good luck to him.

QuoteI might be wrong, but the Dubs Corner Forward (13) against Cork in the hurling this weekend - doesnt he kick ball as well??

Yeah he does but he didn't make it with the footballers, though I think some Dubs feel Pillar didn't give him a decent chance. I'm sure some of the Dub posters can fill you in a bit better than I but he didn't look quite IC standard when ever I saw him.

blueboy

Can you send a link with the story?

unforgiven

I think there is alot more wrong with Derry hurling than the dual player issue.  Alot of the best hurlers in the county who don't play football aren't in the panel

INDIANA

13 dotsy o callaghan for dublin quit the footballers. the dual player is dead- not possible to do both anymore at county level. in dublin you cannot play on a development team from u15 up for both codees now good idea in my view- i played both and i'm crippled now because of it.

nrico2006

Kevin Hinphey is the captain of Derry hulers. 

Interesting to see how many inter-county dual players there is now – Higgins would be one of the few.  There is also Michale Magill and until recently Brendan Herron and Karl Stewart of Antrim.  Conal Keaney was Dublins best hurler, but he packed it in too.  It will be a while for anybody to do what Sean Og did and play in an All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football final in the same year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2008, 10:39:47 PM
13 dotsy o callaghan for dublin quit the footballers. the dual player is dead- not possible to do both anymore at county level. in dublin you cannot play on a development team from u15 up for both codees now good idea in my view- i played both and i'm crippled now because of it.
Indiana the name escapes me is it Connelly who's U-21 Hurlers and Senior footballer
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

We would have had a tradition of them, especially at underage, but the likes of Sean Ryan, who is a senior dual player, are getting fewer and fewer.

blanketattack

Has any dual player (who was a guaranteed starter for both intercounty teams) from a traditional football county ever picked hurling over football? or vice-versa?
Also, most dual players seem to choose one code over the other eventually. Has any dual player spent the whole of their career as a dual player? Teddy Mac?