Dual players

Started by THEREALGRASSROOTS, March 11, 2008, 02:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Babs Keating was a dual player for his entire career with Tipperary and is one of the few players to have won Railway Cup medals in both Hurling and Football. 

AZOffaly

Is Darren Rooney still with the hurlers this year in Laois? I think Liam Currams from Offaly spent his whole career as a dual player.

nrico2006

Paul McCormack Armagh left the footballers to play for the hurlers, but he wasn't a starter on the football team.  Big Geoffrey played for both Derry hurlers and footballers throughout his career when selected.  What about JBM?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

plain and simple

real shame about Hinphey, i hope it's not the end of his intercounty hurling career. i think he is a decent footballer, but he is a very good hurler. he rarely kicks a ball and his game is limited to short hand passing (although this seems to be a frustrating tactic of Derry footballers) not convinced yet that he will nail down a first team place on the football team but he might prove me wrong. come championship time it will be interesting to see if he is in first team. of course if he committed to the hurlers he would be one of the first on the teamsheet.
i think the whole scenario is symptomatic of attitude towards to hurling in Derry and Ulster in general. it's not cool or the 'in thing' to be a hurler. sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Doire abú

They say that Liam Hinphey would walk into the Cork or Kilkenny teams, much truth in that do youse reckon?
Kevin's a brilliant hurler as well.

Tony Scullion, Henry & Séamus Downey, Kieran McKeever and Brian McGilligan all from the 1993 Derry team hurled for Derry throughout their careers. Had to give it up after wee Éamonn's 'burl the hurls' speech though!! McKeever went back and won 1/2 Ulster SHC though.

Kevin McCloy was on one of those SHC teams as well I think.

INDIANA

darren rooney packed it up as well this year(hurling)- connolly did play 21 hurling but he won't go beyond that at hurling because of the football. it won't be a problem anymore because as of last year in Dublin no player can be on a development team for both codes at underage. I know it looks bad from hurling's point of view reading the above posts of players who quit hurling for football- but we have very little talent in dublin coming through at football while at hurling its on tap. Lads have already made the decision to be hurlers years ago.

From the Bunker

Cratloe today achieved a rare Clare Football and Hurling Senior Championship double. I wonder how many Players are involved in both  panels? How will they deal with the Munster Championship fixture wise?

rodney trotter

Podge Collins was suppose to have played savage today.. John Galvin a big addition to them, talk that he might be play County football with Clare next year.

barelegs

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 12, 2014, 09:32:27 PM
Cratloe today achieved a rare Clare Football and Hurling Senior Championship double. I wonder how many Players are involved in both  panels? How will they deal with the Munster Championship fixture wise?

I think I read last week that it's the first time that the same club has won hurling and football titles in Clare from 1914. The figure quoted was 13 players involved in both panels which is a remarkable achievement for any club. With Dr Crokes out they could give Munster a right rattle. They weren't a million miles away in the football last year.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: barelegs on October 12, 2014, 09:41:30 PM

I think I read last week that it's the first time that the same club has won hurling and football titles in Clare from 1914. The figure quoted was 13 players involved in both panels which is a remarkable achievement for any club. With Dr Crokes out they could give Munster a right rattle. They weren't a million miles away in the football last year.

well considering Kilmurrary-Ibrickane got to an All Ireland final a few years ago

AZOffaly

Loughmore Castleiney won the double in Tipp last year as well. I think dual players at club level can be a good thing at times, as the physicality of football, and the fitness you need, helps the hurling  team as well. Stories like Cratloe's and Loughmore's are good to see for an advocate of the 'other' game in a particular region.

From the Bunker

Hoof Hearted

SNeil in the running this week in Derry to do the double - not sure how many players cross over
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

blanketattack

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 12, 2008, 09:12:38 AM
Kevin Hinphey is the captain of Derry hulers. 

Interesting to see how many inter-county dual players there is now – Higgins would be one of the few.  There is also Michale Magill and until recently Brendan Herron and Karl Stewart of Antrim.  Conal Keaney was Dublins best hurler, but he packed it in too.  It will be a while for anybody to do what Sean Og did and play in an All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football final in the same year.

It only took 2 years - Alan Kerins did it in 2001!

blanketattack

Quote from: barelegs on October 12, 2014, 09:41:30 PM

Crokes not out yet. Probably favourites to be Kerry representatives in Munster.