DOWN v LONGFORD

Started by imagine, March 11, 2008, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imagine

Away for a week and I can't believe there's no thread for this.
Your thoughts please?

Shamrock Shore

My thoughts are mainly of the negative type.

I'll be there - so directions to Pairc Eislear in Newry (apologies for the spelling) will be appreciated.

amallon

I'd imagine you'll be coming in from the Dundalk direction.  At the end of the dual carriageway on the out skirts of Newry take the third exit at the round about (signed for Town centre I think).  At the second set of lights get into the right lane and turn right.  Park up in the shopping centre car park.  The field is 10-15 mins walk just follow the crowd.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

5 Sams

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 11, 2008, 12:49:42 PM
My thoughts are mainly of the negative type.

I'll be there - so directions to Pairc Eislear in Newry (apologies for the spelling) will be appreciated.

Reach Newry....follow the signs for Warrenpoint......on the edge of the town opposite the graveyard....you cant go wrong.
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

benny scored 1.2 on sun agianst meath on darren fay.. he will need to start on saturday
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Zulu

What's happened to Longford, they've shown their not a bad team but they can't seem to kick on?

LaurelEye

Quote from: Zulu on March 11, 2008, 03:29:58 PM
What's happened to Longford, they've shown their not a bad team but they can't seem to kick on?

Hmmm. The defence has always been the weakest link on the team over the last few years (particularly the two central positions) and they've been badly exposed there in the first few league matches. The regular full-back is also suspended for this match and the next, which is not going to help much. The midfield is not especially mobile (Keenan is only returning from injury). In the forwards, Kavanagh is always a danger but defences seem to have their homework done on him and are marking him tightly (to use a euphemism).

I'd also have some doubts about the attitude of some of the players on the panel towards Dempsey. I rather suspect that he's been there for too long now to be as effective as he was. I'm not really very optimistic when I hear of players taking a holiday break in the latter end of a League campaign.

Having said that, we were in much, much worse shape coming up to the Championship match against Dublin back in 2006 and it turned out to be our best Championship performance in 40 years, so you never know.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Pangurban

Down need to win in order to restore their momentum, should do so at home, but expect a close game.

Fíor Gael

What time is throw in? Any word of the Down line up yet?

LaurelEye

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

North Longford

After watching Longford against Fermanagh I nearly didn't have the will to comment here.
Still can't believe how poor they were n that game particularly the first half. It would take a serious improvement to trouble Down but the only thing we have i our side is inconsistency. It is hard to fathom it was the same team that played Dublin.....
As for what is gone wrong, I think on top of what LaurelEye has said the loss of a midfielder (travelling) and centre back (couldn't be bothered!!) from last year has had a big effect. The back up for these areas doesn't seem to be there. Unforetuneately the most likely replacement for both positions is the same guy who happens to be the same guy who is currently trying to fill the even more troublesome full back position..........but luckily!!! he's suspended for Saturday so can't fill any of the positions!
I don't hold out much hope...............

western exile

Take your pick for Down's starting lineup.....

A)  B McVeigh; C McGovern, G McArdle, M Cole; R Murtagh, L Doyle, D Rooney; A Rogers, D Gordon; J Fegan, K McKernan, D Hughes; J Clarke, C Magee, R Sexton.
as listed on Hogan Stand http://hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=91204
or

B)  1 McVeigh;   2 Howard, 3 G McArdle, 4 M Cole;   5 P Turley, 6 L Doyle, 7 R Murtagh;   8 D Rooney, 9 A Rogers,;   10 J Fegan, 11 R Sexton, 12 D Hughes;   13 J Clarke, 14 B Coulter, 15 P Mc Comiskey.
as posted on board by downredblack
(I think that this is the more likely starting 15)

Shamrock Shore

Here in wet Belfast getting into the mood. We have a good record agin Down. Beat them in the Centenary Cup in 1984. Remember the game well.

Myself and Auld Shamrock Shore will do our vocal bit for our beloved Longford. Little more we can do.

Fingers crossed.

lfdown2

surely mcallister deserves a run out in nets?!the team in Irish news is same as hogan stand!is there more to benny not starting than just easing him back in does anyone know,bound to be fit by now?

Down Gael

Benny doesnt look 100% fit at the minute, he seems to be carrying a bit of extra weight, but he would be a much better option at full forward than Cathal Magee.

Why cant www.downgaa.net announce the starting line up? Surely the managment and the county board could come to some sort of arrangement and get the team out to the public in this way. On the subject of the Down website, is it just me or is it becoming a bit of a joke? It is rarely updated, the hurlers dont seem to warrant a mention on it, didnt they beat Meath last week in an all important division 2 game? In fact the South Down team are getting more coverage on the site than the county team. Also why is copying items from the site not allowed, when everything on the site is copied from one website or another? I am not having a go at the man running the site, I understand its a one man operation. Isnt it time he had someone to help him keep the site afloat?