Markets residents protesting again

Started by Abble, March 11, 2008, 08:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

"For local residents, there have been on-going concerns around health and safety within the community as a result of this issue.

That brought a smile to my face.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Pangurban

Quote From Pint....I wouldn't mind someone parking outside my house if it meant they were going to do a days work in order to pay my benefits so I don't have to work
That is a disgusting remark Pints, the type of comment normally only heard from the further reaches of the D.U.P. You should withdraw it immediately

pintsofguinness

QuoteThat is a disgusting remark Pints, the type of comment normally only heard from the further reaches of the D.U.P. You should withdraw it immediately

What's the problem PB or what have I said that's untrue?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Pangurban on March 11, 2008, 06:44:25 PM
Quote From Pint....I wouldn't mind someone parking outside my house if it meant they were going to do a days work in order to pay my benefits so I don't have to work
That is a disgusting remark Pints, the type of comment normally only heard from the further reaches of the D.U.P. You should withdraw it immediately

Disgusting how?  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

Right, I understand where my kith and kin are comming from on this protest. The culchies are invading the Markets and by parking there are causing a disturbance, at a funeral the hearse had to park in the next street as cars were parked right outside the house, the cars totally ignored a cross on the door and some tr**p even moved the chairs that were placed outside the house to reserve a space. were the wing mirrors broken, no were the tyres slashed, no.

It does happen, but just because people protest for something they believe in should they be ridiculed?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Pangurban

Holiness if you are so insensitive that you need to ask, then there is no really no point in explaining, as any explanation would be wasted on you

Puckoon

They need to introduce a parking permit system for those areas. Residential parking only.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Square Ball on March 11, 2008, 07:15:44 PM
Right, I understand where my kith and kin are comming from on this protest. The culchies are invading the Markets and by parking there are causing a disturbance, at a funeral the hearse had to park in the next street as cars were parked right outside the house, the cars totally ignored a cross on the door and some tr**p even moved the chairs that were placed outside the house to reserve a space. were the wing mirrors broken, no were the tyres slashed, no.

It does happen, but just because people protest for something they believe in should they be ridiculed?

That's terrible but you're talking about the actions of one or two knob heads.

SammyG

Not often I agree with Donagh but he's right on this one. Resident only parking permits and commuters can either park in a car park or take a bus. Why should anybody have the right to park outside somebody elses house?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: his holiness nb on March 11, 2008, 06:58:10 PM

Think the fact that he is labelling all the residents as benefit spongers, without any proof is the reason.
Tbc....

take_yer_points

Quote from: Square Ball on March 11, 2008, 07:15:44 PM

Nobody should be parking outside anyone's house and especially when a funeral is going on - there is no defence of it and I don't doubt that it happened because I've seen where some people park in the area. The ones that annoy me the most are the ones who park right up at the junction with the Albert Bridge road on the footpath!!! However, the issue here was nothing to do with funerals or anything else - it was to do with the safety of children in the Markets area as far as I'm aware.

I park in the markets area when I need to be in work early (twice a week usually) and for anyone who knows the area I park along the wall between the markets and the train station. I arrive there at 7.30am each morning and am gone at 3pm. There is no footpaths or anything along here so I'm not sure how this is putting childrens' safety at risk. I have never broke any laws doing this as it is perfectly legal to park there.

However, as far as I'm aware it is illegal to block roads (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and that is what happened this morning. I easily found alternative free parking not much further away but I'm sure a lot of people arrived late to work as a result of this. Rather than going out and blocking the roads without warning why not put leaflets on the cars on Monday saying there will be a protest on Tuesday and the parking spaces will not be available? This would allow people to make alternative parking arrangements whilst still making their point.

Surely if the risk is that great the place to go should be their local MP? I've been working in the area for almost 4 years now and have been occasionally parking there for all that time and I've never heard of anything happening to any children (I know prevention is better than cure but I fail to see the risk!).

Looking to the future, what happens when the ununsed car park is developed into the hotel/apartments/office space that is planned? (http://www.futurebelfast.co.uk/LanyonPlace.htm) Will the construction workers be allowed into the area or will they be blocked from entering due to the increased risk to the children?

And re the breaking of wing morrors and slashing of tyres, a few in work have had both happen and I once had one of my tyres slashed. It may not have happened at the funeral that day but it does happen. I've also seen car windows broken from time to time. The protest today is definitely a step in the right direction from these instances but was done in the wrong way I think.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 11, 2008, 07:33:53 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on March 11, 2008, 06:58:10 PM

Think the fact that he is labelling all the residents as benefit spongers, without any proof is the reason.

Sorry I didnt mean to suggest that the residents were spongers, just the ones that can stand out on a road and illegally block it at that time in the morning.

take_yer_points

For anyone who's parked in the markets today, we just got this message in work...

Dear all

We have been made aware that there may be a protest at Stewart Street later today.  Please be vigilant if your car is parked in this area. 

Regards

Goats Do Shave

Free Parking in the building site all week...