Mayo v Kerry Official Thread

Started by Barney, March 10, 2008, 08:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the ship

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 22, 2008, 02:06:33 PM
MF still a problem. McGarrity not playing well and still needs more bulk. But he has to start. Showed a new aggression though the last day. Parsons leading the chase to partner him. I would still probably go with Harte, but he needs to up it a gear. Has loads of ability in my opinion.

McGarrity is not bulky enough to stand up to the likes of Dara O Se. He'd really need a younger version of David Brady beside him to do the grunt work.
For that reason I'd be hesitant about placing Tom Parsons beside him as they are quite similar in both build and temperament. The same could be said fro Barry Moran and Kieran Conroy. Maybe Pat harte would fill the bill here- if he cools down a bit; he can be very impetuous
I'd stay with the present HB line up. I'd also go with Cunniffe and Conroy. Unless Johnno begins playing a settled formation soon the championships will be upon us and he won't have a settled team this year either.
Put it another way, I'd pick the strongest side possible for the Kildare match and then leave it up to non-starters to try and wrest a place on merit and stop chopping and changing about.
Austy seems to fit the bill at FF. Heaney-Howley-Higgins looks the strongest combination at HB. Conroy seems to be the best bet for FB that we have seen so far and there are a few others I have in mind also.
Why not let them settle down and get more experience of playing in their best positions, unless loss of form or injury causes changes in their selected positions?

Are you  the same as the one on the mayo fans.com? If you are I love your banter with the bucket.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on March 24, 2008, 06:25:16 PM
Barry moran must be the future of mayo's midfield he has the skill physique and attitude to lead this team and based on last week parsons could well be the man to partner him LONGTERM.
Cmortimer BJP Andy moran

Quote from: rosnarun on March 25, 2008, 12:08:41 PM
weve all been here before AOM has great league capaign starts to falter by the end nowhere come championship time no moe than gill fairplay to him for putting in the effort but hes not and never will be a championship class player.

Barry Moran is with the Mayo senior set-up for the last 4 years and he has not made that step up yet. Maughan was the first to bring him in as a young lad, and he is there since. Its hard to know if he will be playing for Mayo in the longterm. Im not debating his skill or attitude but he just doesnt look up to it. And with all the training he has got in those years he still has not stamped his mark on the team. I hope he proves me wrong but I cant see it.

As regards AOM. He was plagued with injury in the past and is almost a definite starter FF for the championship, judging by his recent form and pending he stays injury free. He is having a great season so far and is a much more natural scorer than BJP. There is no debate.   

Our Nail Loney

BJP was class in his Queens days at full forward, why not give him a run??

rosnarun

on what basis are you putting Barry moran down? is it  his Man of the match performance in the last championship game mayo played? would you really put an austin special of a mucky pitch against half a kerry team above that performance?.
barry moran has been messed about big time. hes exactly the type of player mayo are crying out for.
may be JOM see him as being to similar to Magarrity but sure surely hes a better option at centre field than  gill or gardiner and miles ahead of s o shea . Parsons i like the look of but he needs a while yet . and how long before the bring back d brady campaign starts
Lets just hope Moran doesnt get pissed off asnd piss off waiting for JOM to hit a lucky combination.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the ship

barry will never get pissed off all he wants is the glory and nothing else

rosnarun

not much glory in being left on the/or off the bench with people calling you a wasred talent .
But i think we need players who want glory feel a need to win things
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere