Pre season training regimes

Started by 5 Sams, December 14, 2006, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

Its like the common misconception that you lose most body heat through your head - WRONG. its lost equally from your whole body

the experiments that concluded the above statement were conducted by the Russians during the 1940s and 1950s and have been discarded. The tests were miscued

So don't believe anything a sports drink company says! sure even kellogs claim coco pops are full of calcium - course they are when you add milk!!

BallyhaiseMan

couple of lads in my club definetely over hydrating before games,
Constantly Pissing beside the fence maybe 2 or 3 times during the warm-up.  :D

blewuporstuffed

thought i'd bump this thread for the time of year agian.
Anyone got a good preseason training programme (weights & cardio) for gaelic footballl?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AbbeySider

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 25, 2009, 11:59:46 AM
thought i'd bump this thread for the time of year agian.
Anyone got a good preseason training programme (weights & cardio) for gaelic footballl?

Not at all trying to be smart, but if I were you I would engage with your gym instructor.

When paying membership in a gym you might as well avail of their expertise.
Tell them what you want to train for, be it size, strength or power (for field sports/Gaelic games) and they would be able to help.

In fact, if their worth their salt, insist on getting a functional screening & fitness testing, including body fat index, and testing strength etc so they can better design a program.

I know some people feel shy or are afraid to approach a gym instructor, but you shouldn't.

Bainisteoir

some good stuff on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq5TVy3rw4E&feature=related ...... You and another teammate could do this sorta stuff. I found it on the Armagh gaa site... V good site for coaches.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: JMohan on January 16, 2009, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 16, 2009, 10:03:10 AM
Quote from: JMohan on January 15, 2009, 09:26:33 PM

The effect of hydration is over played in sport - there is a greater danger of someone over hydrating than under-hydrating

I believe there have been more records of people dying from over hydration than dehydration.

How much is over hydrating?

Id say I drink about 7 pints of water a day at work alone, and maybe 2-3 more in the evening. Thats on days im not training... Sometimes I think im addicted to the water but it could be the air conditioning in the office. When I first started here they actually had to remove the Tipperary water fountain and get in a filtered system because I was drinking so much! At work they make a joke of it and say they budgeted for electricity... budgeted for basic kitchen supplies... but didnt budget for the amount of water I would drink...  :D

Is it possible to drink too much water?

There is that old wives tale suggesting that you are flushing out nutrients by drinking too much water.  ???
I dont know if that is possible though....

Like I said the chances are slim - but possible.
If you're spending more time holding your piece or a water bottle than working then you're drinking too much.
Just enjoy your water.

You can test for it - but it's not fool proof.

Someone spoke about caffiene as a diuretic - but drinking water is one of the most diuretic things you can do also!!!
The problem of flushing nutrients is very real and also can cause cramping due to re-distribution and disposal of nutrients.

Water is good for you etc - but overrated.
cant rem where how or why - but recall someone saying that drinking 21 litres of water could have life threatening problems
maybe I was watvhing too much csi or some other carp !!

INDIANA

In a temperate climate 2 and a half litres- 3 litres a day is plenty for an IC player in my opinion. Anymore than that is excessive and not needed. For most people 2 litres a day is fine and its healthy to drink a decent amount of water a day. But when I read stories of lads drinking 8 pints of water a day i get worried.

PS a litre= 1.8 pints

blanketattack

There is that old wives tale suggesting that you are flushing out nutrients by drinking too much water.  ???

It's not an old wives tale. Drinking too much water can dilute the sodium too much causing hyponatremia. However you'd need to drink treble what you're currently drinking to be at risk, or drink the 7 pints in a short space of time.

JMohan

Quote from: blanketattack on December 07, 2009, 03:50:34 PM

It's not an old wives tale. Drinking too much water can dilute the sodium too much causing hyponatremia. However you'd need to drink treble what you're currently drinking to be at risk, or drink the 7 pints in a short space of time.

Milder effects can also impact on performance   

supersarsfields

Right lads I had joined a gym over here in Liverpool and they give ya a free personal training session every three months. But I had mine last nite. And he raised a few points that I'd like to get a bit of information on.

Firstly my prime target when i joined in Jan was weight loss after a rather indulgent Christmas!! So I was usually trying to do 30 mins running first of in the gym. Wasn't running anything great usuall had 6k done in 29 mins or so. But this guy maintains that even for weight loss interval training is still the best option. He reckons doing a 15min run and bumping it up to 16-16.5k for a minute, three times in the 15 will be better for you than the 30min slog. I know that interval training is the best for sport training but is he right that it'll have the same effect on weight loss?

Next came the weights. I would have been a big fan of the machine weights, mostly because their easy to use and I feel more confident with them. again he rubbished this saying that for football training free weights were much better as you could use the whole body rather than isolated muscles. So he gave me a few different things like squats with dumbells, Press-ups with different hand positions, couple of different lifts with the bar bells etc. and he says there's no point doing the machines unless I was looking to bulk up/ show of certain muscles.

Next he moved on to the diet. I'd eat healthy enough as I work from home so have plenty of time to cook a decent feed rather than take aways or easy cook meals. But he's taken me of cereal in the mornings and telling me to eat two eggs with one slice of brown toast as the only major change. I quizzed him on how we used to be told not to eat too many eggs but he said that's rubbish and that I shouldn't worry about eating too many eggs, which kinda surprised me.

So just to see what some of you guys here who are in to all this thinks of this advise? Is he right enough about everything  or should I be taking it with a pinch of salt?

AbbeySider

Quote from: supersarsfields on February 10, 2010, 10:19:11 AM
Right lads I had joined a gym over here in Liverpool and they give ya a free personal training session every three months. But I had mine last nite. And he raised a few points that I'd like to get a bit of information on.

Firstly my prime target when i joined in Jan was weight loss after a rather indulgent Christmas!! So I was usually trying to do 30 mins running first of in the gym. Wasn't running anything great usuall had 6k done in 29 mins or so. But this guy maintains that even for weight loss interval training is still the best option. He reckons doing a 15min run and bumping it up to 16-16.5k for a minute, three times in the 15 will be better for you than the 30min slog. I know that interval training is the best for sport training but is he right that it'll have the same effect on weight loss?

Next came the weights. I would have been a big fan of the machine weights, mostly because their easy to use and I feel more confident with them. again he rubbished this saying that for football training free weights were much better as you could use the whole body rather than isolated muscles. So he gave me a few different things like squats with dumbells, Press-ups with different hand positions, couple of different lifts with the bar bells etc. and he says there's no point doing the machines unless I was looking to bulk up/ show of certain muscles.

Next he moved on to the diet. I'd eat healthy enough as I work from home so have plenty of time to cook a decent feed rather than take aways or easy cook meals. But he's taken me of cereal in the mornings and telling me to eat two eggs with one slice of brown toast as the only major change. I quizzed him on how we used to be told not to eat too many eggs but he said that's rubbish and that I shouldn't worry about eating too many eggs, which kinda surprised me.

So just to see what some of you guys here who are in to all this thinks of this advise? Is he right enough about everything  or should I be taking it with a pinch of salt?

I would thoroughly agree with everything he said.

Dont worry about the eggs as you will burn off the cholesterol when your training. And I think egg whites contain 84% protein which is a good source to help build and repair muscle.     

supersarsfields

So ya reckon two a day is grand. Have to say I'd be happy enough with that as I'd far rather a poached egg than an auld bowl of cereal any day of the week.

haranguerer

He sounds spot on, from what I've heard doing various training regimes.

As regards the eggs - I'm glad to hear him say that, cos I'm taking about 6 a day. They're such a handy, good meal: poach three for breakfast, then three in the evening before gym. We're doing a routine at the min, and we've been told to get plenty of calories down us!

AbbeySider

Quote from: haranguerer on February 10, 2010, 01:18:42 PM
He sounds spot on, from what I've heard doing various training regimes.

As regards the eggs - I'm glad to hear him say that, cos I'm taking about 6 a day. They're such a handy, good meal: poach three for breakfast, then three in the evening before gym. We're doing a routine at the min, and we've been told to get plenty of calories down us!

Be careful, 6 a day, seven days a week is excessive.You need to be working very hard both aerobically and anaerobically to burn off all the cholesterol of 42 egg yokes in a week. And there isnt even that many calories in an egg. About 70-80 I think.

A very healthy alternative is "Heart Healthy" scrambled eggs or omletes where you make them from egg whites alone without yokes or maybe one yoke and three egg whites.

And dont add salt and butter or its pointless.

Jinxy

The link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is overstated.
Eggs have an undeserved bad rep.
If you were any use you'd be playing.