Underage Development Squads

Started by bennydorano, March 06, 2008, 11:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

well in dublin we've seen both sides of the coin- they work at hurling- but they aren't working at football anymore and there were complaints last year about the amount of camps involving players. So i can see why people have serious reservations about them. Up to 14 at football we're fine but by the time they hit 16 they seem to get worse not better -whether that's down to poor coaching i don't know. we're hoping removing the dual player from 15 onwards on development teams is going to help things because i firmly believe you can't play both well at county level even at underage one takes away from the code.

neilthemac

well the local soccer leagues down the country are now running academies for U12 players. rugby is also starting to do the same. so you cannot blame the GAA

This sort of thing should be banned by the sports council - who provide funding for sports associations

counties should not be allowed have elite training for any players under age of 14 and also any training done should be targetted at skills and

it can ruin a young player if they do not get on a 'development squad'.

Zulu

Quotewell the local soccer leagues down the country are now running academies for U12 players. rugby is also starting to do the same. so you cannot blame the GAA

This sort of thing should be banned by the sports council - who provide funding for sports associations

counties should not be allowed have elite training for any players under age of 14 and also any training done should be targetted at skills and

it can ruin a young player if they do not get on a 'development squad'.

Let the other codes off neilthemac, if we can improve the coaching standards of our underage club coaches we will enjoy much greater rewards for our investment.

neilthemac

agreed re: coaching standards

these development squads are often using up the best underage coaches from clubs and their energies, to the detriment of the clubs

Zulu

Quote[agreed re: coaching standards

these development squads are often using up the best underage coaches from clubs and their energies, to the detriment of the clubs/quote]

Exactly, we are dedicating all our best coaches and money on a very small percentage of players and at 12 or 14 years of age you can't tell how good these kids will become. If these coaches were allocating their time to club coaches and players I think we would get much better returns. I have no problem with development squads for 17 and maybe 16 year olds but any younger than that and we should be working through the clubs and trying to improve the coaching they provide. I know that many underage coaches while well meaning, are very poor at imparting the skills and understanding the skills that particular age groups should be learning.