Going to Australia

Started by nrico2006, March 04, 2008, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Just looking advice for a few friends of mine who are thinking about going to Australia for a year or so around October.  Anybody here been or intending to go themselves.  Help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

They are looking info on:

1) Cheapest place to book (online?)
2) How much you should expect to pay/also how much would you need at a minimum to go out there?
3) What do they require before they go? (Visa/??)
4) Do most people have accomodation sorted before they get out there or do they just stay in a hostel until they gey work/apartment?

Thanks again.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Against the Breeze

Would be interested in finding out this also. 

I have heard trailfinders are pretty good in helping sort this sort of thing out and place on Botanic in Belfast.. STA travel or something

el_cuervo_fc

I went a few years ago.  As stated by Tram, the best place to get your visa is on the australian website www.immi.gov.au.  most travel agents will sort this out for you but they obviously charge a bit extra.  using the website is hassle free and the send your visa to your email address within a few days generally. 

I didn't have to show any proof that i had enough money to support myself over there, i think on the application form you just had to declare that you had the funds.  I never heard of anyone i came in contact with over there actually being stopped in the airport and asked to show their bank account details.

I would however suggest that you bring as much money over as possible.  If you go to rent out an apartment over there the landlord will usually ask for about 6 weeks rent value up front.  4 weeks of this are for a bond/ deposit and the other 2 are for rent.  I would also make sure that if you are moving into an apartment to check the itinery list before you move in to make sure everything is on it and in working order.  they'll check it when you leaving and charge for anything thats missing.

I tayed with friends for 2 weeks when i went over but it's just as easy to stay in a hostel for a bit till you get sorted.  they're usually great craic anyway.

where are you planning to go 1st?

nrico2006

Early stages but thinking of going to Sydney first.  Have a mate over there who has an apartment so that should be grand for a few weeks, but if 3 of us head then maybe we will just stay in a hostel for a week or two.  Thanks.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'