Website Help

Started by Bainisteoir, February 29, 2008, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

Well lads I registered for the board ages ago but rarely ever post just " browse" more than anything.

I'm currently in the process of looking into companies to build/setup and manage a website that will allow me to run my business online. I want to sell my products online. I don't have a clue where to begin so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ziggysego

To be honest, if you don't know what you're doing and it's a non-static business site, then you're better getting someone else to do it.
Testing Accessibility

Bainisteoir

Sorry.Nah i don't have any plans to build one i don't have a clue about that side of things i would be going to a web design company or something similar. Have heard conflicting resports of it being very expensive and others sayings its reasonable so decided to come to the fountain of knowledge  ;). I was posting more in the hope someone in this field would give me some info.

heganboy

first things to think about- what websites have you seen that you'd like to copy and how much money are you looking to spend?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Zapatista

ziggysego

Are you based in the North or the South? Forgive me for not knowing.

This crowd used to build websites for the Go For It > Start a Business Programme in Northern Ireland. They've branched out now and are designing websites for themselves. We worth a look.

http://www.chooboo.com/
Testing Accessibility

Bainisteoir

Quote from: heganboy on February 29, 2008, 06:09:28 PM
first things to think about- what websites have you seen that you'd like to copy and how much money are you looking to spend?

I really havnt set a budget but obviously i do have limits..... With regards to website design i havnt really seen anything as such that i want but i require something very user friendly but concise, also very modern in working with my company image. Do you know much in this area (EBusiness)?

Quote from: ziggysego on February 29, 2008, 06:39:09 PM
Are you based in the North or the South? Forgive me for not knowing.

This crowd used to build websites for the Go For It > Start a Business Programme in Northern Ireland. They've branched out now and are designing websites for themselves. We worth a look.

http://www.chooboo.com/

Sorry i forgot to say I'm based in the north. I originally had contact with the above but noticed their offerings were very basic. I want the website to stand out because alot of the companies I'm competing with wouldn't be offering this online service, so if I'm getting it done want it done right.. Thanks for the suggestion though and keep them coming

heganboy

Quotei require something very user friendly but concise, also very modern in working with my company image

Do you wish to offer a service over the web? Will the website do the work, or simply take orders? Will it require payment processing- is your client b2b or are you after the end consumer?

Give us a bit of a steer here- send me a pm if you'd like

Lar Naparka

Bainistoeir,
This may not be what you are looking for but a look here wouldn't do any harm.
Bear in mind that the chap behind this site has strong views about elaborate websites and strongly advises newcomers to the Web to keep well away from the likes.
You'll be told here that over 60% of business site start ups last less than 3 years and wind up costing the unfortunate owners thousands upon thousands in the process.
www.eamonnhenry.com
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heganboy

with all due respect to that fella, I hope his client sites are better than his own

Bainisteoir

Quote from: heganboy on February 29, 2008, 07:43:45 PM
Quotei require something very user friendly but concise, also very modern in working with my company image

Do you wish to offer a service over the web? Will the website do the work, or simply take orders? Will it require payment processing- is your client b2b or are you after the end consumer?

Give us a bit of a steer here- send me a pm if you'd like

I wish to offer the the service through both an existing shop i run presently and then expand to offering the same service over the web (ive had an unreal amount of enquires about having a website both for purchasing and other information). Essentially its a B2C relationship and it requires payment processing. What i would like to happen would be that (For talk sake) Mr Jones goes onto the site purchases a product and then i recieve an email or message with Mr Jones details, order etc. I get the item wrap it etc then i post the item to him. As i said this is what i would like but as i dont have a clue about this topic it might not be posssible. I probably sound daft as fu*k  ???

Quote from: heganboy on February 29, 2008, 08:32:00 PM
with all due respect to that fella, I hope his client sites are better than his own

Just what i was thinking!!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

joebloggs