Offaly's referees to strike

Started by BennyHarp, February 29, 2008, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

An interesting story in todays Independent! How could the county board lift what in my opinion seemed a pretty lenient punishment???

AZOffaly, do you know more about this story?

Offaly referees opt to strike

Friday February 29 2008

IN the latest 'strike' controversy to hit the GAA, Offaly referees have voted to withdraw their services this weekend.

A referees' meeting on Wednesday night resulted in a decision being taken to drop whistles for county football league matches this weekend.

This follows a recent controversy after a referee -- Mick Mahon of Shannonbridge -- was struck while taking charge of an U-21 hurling championship match in the county.

The team at the centre of the controversy, St Mary's, were banned from the U-21 championship for two years and were also fined.

However, the referees saw red when a decision was taken to lift the ban.
That was never a square ball!!

Lone Shark

For those who are interested ....

http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1612

The rationale for the lifting of the ban is that it would be unfair to punish a bunch of U-21 hurlers for the actions of a non-playing club member. No-one in the offending club (an amalgamation of two adult clubs for U-21 purposes) was willing to go out on a limb and name the individual, so reminiscent of the Setanta (?) affair in Donegal, the club itself was banned initially. Now the ban has been lifted, the refs (understandably, imho) are unhappy, and I don't think anyone knows how this can be resolved.

It's not good, to say the least.

BennyHarp

So the ref was hit by a spectator then?

What a coward that he would let a club be banned rather than have the balls to come forward and name himself! I suppose he thought he was being dead hard when he hit the ref when surrounded by all his mates!

I really hate this culture within the GAA of clubs being unwilling to name these people who cause the trouble at the expense of the young lads who may face a ban!

I agree that banning the current 18/19 year olds from the future U21 championships is a little harsh, but with an amalgamated club there doesnt seem to be any other choice!!

AZOffaly

^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

It appears very dodgy alright. In one way I can understand not wanting to punish players for the indescretion of an 'unknown', but it sends out a very, very chilling statement of non-support to our referees.

Essentially the clubs in question, (St. Mary's is an underage amalgamation of Ballyskenagh and Shinrone) have been rewarded for protecting someone who assaulted a referee.

It;s a shocking precedent. If no-one was identified, then at least St. Mary's should be banned for the 2 years, and possibly even the constituent clubs from the adult competitions.

Lone Shark

Couldn't disagree with any of the baove - however we all know that in the GAA, when a lenient sanction has been applied it's very difficult to re-apply a tougher one.

I've no idea how this can be fixed, which worries me.

themanwhowasntthere

The referee concerned should sue the 2 clubs, bankrupt them & put them outta business. That'll stop any future crap.

thejuice

Totally support the referees in this case. They get treated like shite in a lot of games, its one of the things that really pisses me off in GAA culture. And when clubs and counties appeal everytime one of their players get punished, I must say I was a proud Meathman when Dudley Farrell said that Brian would be sitting out his suspension for hitting an opponent. Although in normal circumstances this should be nothing to be proud of. There are some players and counties which are willing to accept disipline others seem to actively pursue get-out-clauses.

In this case the GAA should investigate the incident and get the name of assailant from the clubs and ban him for life and get the Gardai involved. Anyone who strikes a referee deliberately should face criminal prosecution, especially those not meant to be on the field of play.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe team at the centre of the controversy, St Mary's, were banned from the U-21 championship for two years and were also fined.

That's a perfect punishment for clubs that won't name the bollocks! (Why they f**k are they protecting him?)

The ref's are right in this one!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

lynchbhoy

the spirit of Carthage Buckley - patron saint of car boots, lives on !

orangeman

The ref's are right in this one!

The refs are always right !!!  ;D ;D

Frank Casey

I've said it before on different threads but when will we learn. Rugby Union players show an absolute respect for the ref. Whatever about shagging about with trying this and that to improve the game we need to inculcate a respec for the rules and those who implement them. This must go from the player on the field respecting the man in the black kit to county board officials respecting those in the balck suits at appeal stage.

Lads to those of you "who do the crime" you have to "do the time".
KERRY 3:7

Hardy

This throwback to the days of faction fighting has to be stopped. It should be made a matter of policy always to refer assaults on officials to the guards. Take it out of the hands of local GAA administration, which has shown itself completely unfit to handle it. If Central Council doesn't take this step, the referees could do it unilaterally - organise themselves into a GRA and let it be known that EVERY assault will automatically be referred for criminal prosecution, taking the decision away from the individual referee at the local level.

And that's only a start to introduce a baseline of non-violence. After that, as Frank Casey suggests, we need to legislate for rugby-level respect for referees from the players. We could start by sending a delegation to the IRFU to ask them how it's done or getting the IRFU administrators and referees to give a seminar.

BennyHarp

I reckon that referee should go to the gardai and make an offical complaint of assault and let the guards sort it out! And if they find the p***k who hit him - sue him! A few cases where people are hit in the pockets for their actions will soon make these "hard men" think twice before they hit an unprotected official!

pintsofguinness

QuoteI've said it before on different threads but when will we learn. Rugby Union players show an absolute respect for the ref. Whatever about shagging about with trying this and that to improve the game we need to inculcate a respec for the rules and those who implement them. This must go from the player on the field respecting the man in the black kit to county board officials respecting those in the balck suits at appeal stage.

Aye but there's a big difference in the way Rugby referees treat players and the way GAA ones treat players. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

That's true too. A rugby head of my acquaintance (he's actually a referees' inspector) is always throwing this at me about standards in the GAA - if the ref is effing and blinding at the players, it doesn't really engender an atmosphere of respect, never mind authority. He wouldn't know much about the GAA and, from his rugby perspective, he was honestly shocked when he saw the documentary about Pat McEnaney a few years back, where  Pat had a 'f**k' in every sentence, on and off the field. "That wouldn't happen in any other sport - even soccer", he said and what could I say? He was right.

The rugby lads call the ref 'sir' - that's going a bit far, but it does indicate the level of authority commanded.